Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scv720 View Post
what do you think the Confederate Flag Represents?
Makes me think of the War of Northern Aggression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Speaking of the southern aristocracy I recommend James Watt's book "Born to Fight" about the Scott/Irish culture in America.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
YES! Loved them Duke boys when I was a little boy in El Salvador watching the show on the only tv in the house (black and white with a 10" screen) with my parents, siblings and grandpa. Then I came here, grew up here and found that it stands for places where I'm most likely not welcomed.
I'm not disputing that the Civil War had factors other than slavery (it was really more about money than anything else; like most wars) but it was the behavior of the southern people in general after the war that has earned them and their symbol their due infamy. I know I'm generalizing and that there are individuals who are open minded and tolerant in the south as well but history speaks for itself. The fact that the states that fly their confederate flags with pride also hung their black people with just as much pride as long as the law would allow them to (and beyond that) is what has tainted any honor that those flags might have held in the past.
The second KKK was a northern group mainly...and used the US flag NOT the 'Confederate flag'.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:

Shelby Foote a historian who appeared on Ken Burns' (The Civil War) said that the Civil War changed the United States from an "are" to a "is". Before the Civil War, most Americans would call themselves by their state ie. a Virginian, New Yorker or Georgian and not an American. Was the United States a volantary association of soverign states or a Federal Republic? The Civil War was about a concept called nullification. The idea that a state could pick and choose which Federal laws would be enforced within the states boundary. The Confederacy represented by the Stars and Bars faught for this and a US based on this concept of a federation of states. The Union faught for a strong Federal Republic that was superior to the states and law that was equally in force in every state. The Union made the USA an "is" and made it natural to call oneselve Americans because we are the United States of America The Stars and Stripes represents this vision of America

Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The second KKK was a northern group mainly...and used the US flag NOT the 'Confederate flag'.
Yup the second KKK was predominatly midwestern and directed much of its animosity towards the Jewish and Catholic immigrants in these areas.

That is why I say I am more curious as to why notherners fly the Confederate flag then why Southerners do.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
All of the proclamations about history and cultural pride aside, the Confederate flag, in contemporary American culture, is generally a code symbol that proclaims, "I hate N**g**s."

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
Would any of you Confederate supporters mind articulating what "way of life" is represented by the Confederate flag that is distinguishable from the American flag?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I LOVE the hypocrisy of the leftists...

If you don't like something they want,you need to leave the USA...

LOL.

I doubt they even see their own hypocrisy.

If it's hypocrisy you love, then consider this:

The confederacy only existed for about five years. And in its brief life, it managed to lead the south to destruction. None of the freedoms and advantages you enjoy in your contemporary lifestyle are due in any part to the confederacy. It's all part of the privelege of living in America.

Yet, for some perverted reason, some diehard "rebs" like yourself feel a strong allegience to that failed nation from 140 years ago. One even your great grandfather never experienced. One that was foundedon the proposition that fellow men should be held in bondage.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:

The highest treason ever committed against the USA.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 AM

564 posts, read 892,502 times
Default Let's get it straight

Well if you agree, and if you don't it's law anyways. I'm not a lawyer , but I've read up on this a little-so here's my take on what I've read.

By Law The United States of America is a Corporation. Just like Nike, AT&T etc. All 50 states have "agreed" to join this Corporation. The founding fathers knew there was a need for a central gov. to oversee states disputes and other issues. Thus the Corporation. The Corporation was mandated to Washington, D.C., this was the extent of it's borders.

The founding fathers did not want what we have today. Income tax on labor was unthought of, a bully federal gov. would've been unheard of, these same conditions placed on us today were the reasons we fought and gained our independence from Great Britain. Although some would argue the actual Corporation came from a British Charter and the Brits didn't actually leave until the Constitution was written.

Our freedom was gained in the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution "spells out" your rights which is unnecessary, because if I spell out your rights-those are your only rights. The clause of U.S. citizen was actually made for the newly freed slaves, to give them protections and clearly spell out their freedoms. Over time now almost all who reside in the U.S. are "citizens" except for a few who recognize the Declaration of Independence as their law-this is what our forefathers law was, now we are under the law of the Corporation as Citizens of it.

Clearly our freedoms as a nation have dwindled away, clearly our monetary system is overrun by a system created for and by the very entity it was supposed to watch over-The non-Federal Reserve, a privately owned entity that should have never come into being. Recently giving cheap money to banks far and wide, which those banks did the unthinkable and gave loans to those just 4 years ago would not have. Causing the market to explode and the prices to over inflate due to a new demand that flooded the market. Those loans are now collapsing, 100's of thousands of foreclosures, the market deflating, and those good loans now going bad due to unemployment of the economy that the foreclosures and the investors on wall street who blew oil up at the same time.

I think it now clear all the bailout in the world is not going to stop this train, nor giving "the paper" to the banks who started this mess. I see the complete collapse of the U.S. Dollar and maybe the U.S. itself-I hope I'm wrong. You mean to tell me you don't believe this was orchestrated? Not one stopped this, yet everyone with an 8 grade education saw it coming? Those at the top that shine every penny they get didn't do their calculations? Hogwash, they knew, THEY KNEW.

So slavery is a horrible thing, I more than any other wish it never happened.
To think 300,000 men died fighting to protect/end slavery was the #1 reason of the civil war is complete and utter Bull .
I'm sure it was in there somewhere, it was just not the most important issue.
States Rights-#1 When I see the flag that is what comes to mind-brave men who fought for their right to succeed from a "beginning" tyrannical Corporation that they didn't sign up for, and now were "getting out of their contract" of a bad business deal. The south had the right to secede and Lincoln had no authority to stop it. What Lincoln did was actually treason-by Law
If the south had won we all surely would have more freedoms today, but they didn't, the corporation won. And each generation that passes will not know the freedoms lost, only the freedoms given them by the corporation who's power is no longer limited.

Good luck and god bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies