Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times

Advertisements

ACK!! My eyes!

Somebody pass the bleach and the brain brush. I need to get that image out of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Michael Phelps isnt ruined... now if he continues to do things like this well maybe....but he owned up to his mistake and admitted he was wrong and that is it. He will suffer a deserved penalty from US Swimming but its not like he doesnt have any other sponsors. Whether we like it or not, he is a role model for our youth and as a parent I want my kid to fully understand that if you do something illegal you will suffer consequences.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 PM

169 posts, read 561,986 times
I am a parent too and while I wouldnt want my child to do something illegal and get in trouble, I still want her to know that the only reason this is illegal is because of our govt enjoying the money they collect from it. Just because something is a law does not make it right.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
I respect Phelps more now. The guy can smoke pot and still win gold at the olympics. That's an athlete.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
It is pitiful. Micheal Phelps is a cool guy.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
lol I agree. This is a non-issue that needs to be ignored.

Although I in no way approve of pot. I think it is bad and useless like any other drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I respect Phelps more now. The guy can smoke pot and still win gold at the olympics. That's an athlete.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
He has been suspended by US swimming for three months to "send a message". What is the message, that people arent free in the country of freedom?
Ok, I am missing your point here. Free to break the law?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
I am a parent too and while I wouldnt want my child to do something illegal and get in trouble, I still want her to know that the only reason this is illegal is because of our govt enjoying the money they collect from it. Just because something is a law does not make it right.
I am a parent, and I want my son to know that if you make a poor decision, there may be consequences.

A few of my elementary students brought this up today. "Did you see that Michael Phelps smoked marijuana?" All I said was, "Yes, I saw. He made a bad decision and will have to deal with any consequences".

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The only people complaining about it are his sponsors... Not exactly the best image they want advertising their stuff. I didn't even know white people even smoked weed...
LOL then you'd be shocked in CT. White kids here smoke more than anyone else, I guess they have nothing better to do.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I am a parent, and I want my son to know that if you make a poor decision, there may be consequences.

A few of my elementary students brought this up today. "Did you see that Michael Phelps smoked marijuana?" All I said was, "Yes, I saw. He made a bad decision and will have to deal with any consequences".
Well, even though the argument is more philisophical in nature, the BIG argument is whether he made a bad decision or not. For example, I do not feel he made a bad decision. He must live with the consequences of breaking a law made by a government that runs the piece of earth that he resides on. But he did not make a bad moral decision, as in my opinion, there is nothing morally wrong with smoking a plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies