Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,158 times

Advertisements

He was just CAUGHT smoking weed 3 months ago.
Look, I can see both sides of the issue here and mostly because I think it's of little importance. The guy did great in the olympics but how long ago was that? Do you really think that kids still remember what he did? Do you really think kids even cared to begin with? I can guarantee that it was a small percentage of children who actually put down their DS long enough to catch a soundbite about the swimmer winning all those gold medals. And if your kid is watching the news and actually has an opinion on this then you've got one hell of a kid who won't be letting an athlete's bad actions influence him anyway.

Is smoking weed a big deal? I don't think so but I'm also the type that tried it and didn't like it just like I don't like being drunk. Should it be legalized? I don't have a problem with it. There are plenty of people who do it all day and all night anyway and the pot smokers don't cause any more trouble than drunks (I think they cause less actually).

But, as it was pointed out; as of right now it is still illegal and a private company has a right to protect its assets by firing anyone who is seen doing anything illegal in public if they included that kind of clause in their contract.

What gets me is the argument that there is a multitude of children who look up to this guy that are just going to be devastated when they find out. Anyone who is looking up to olympian athletes nowadays can't be old enough to understand what pot is and can't be old enough to be on the mediums that his indisgression is being shown on. If they are then I think the bigger concern is the irresponsible parents who are allowing them to watch this.

You wanna boycott kellogs; hey, right on, I support your right to do so. I raise my spoonful of frosted flakes to you, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I think I'll buy more Kellogg's products. There are millions of children and young adults that look up to Phelps. He should have thought of that before grabbing that bong.... I hope my teenagers aren't influenced by his activities...
Shows the quality and type of the typical american role model. HEY LOOK THERE IS A 23 YEAR OLD BOY THAT SWIMS REALLY WELL!!! AWESOME HE IS MY NEW ROLE MODEL!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,825,777 times
i dont see whats the big deal....about this what someone does in his/her personal lifr is their biz or their right.t in

i wonder would they make a big deal about phelps being a role model and was in a pic with 3 nude chics getting a blow job, probably so

Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Sure he did. He smoked pot. It is illegal.

Is it a big deal? Not really. It is still wrong, though.
Not every law deserves to be followed.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sorry, but I know my kids and their friends better than you do. I guess it depends where you teach and the background of the kids.

Trust me - I can recognize such behavior, since as a tween/teenager I was unsupervised and pushing the envelope shall we say. My girls are world's apart from my life at that age - intentional on my part.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,040,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
But you better well expect to live up to the consequences if the law is broken. Listen, I'm pro-legalization myself, but until then, it's against the law and people getting caught with it should expect to be punished.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
But you better well expect to live up to the consequences if the law is broken. Listen, I'm pro-legalization myself, but until then, it's against the law and people getting caught with it should expect to be punished.
And we can continue to bi*** about it. Slowly but surely people are wising up as is evident by the recent examples of states easing back the harshness of weed laws.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,040,610 times
Quote:
And we can continue to bi*** about it. Slowly but surely people are wising up as is evident by the recent examples of states easing back the harshness of weed laws.
And that we can. However, I'm not touching it until it's legal. I cannot afford to be arrested over something so trivial.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,727 times
Quote:
That's right, it's called Civil Disobedience. Imagine what America would be like if MLKJr obeyed the law.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,491 times
The OP does have a pretty damn good point. I wouldn't hesitate to wager that Kelloggs' products have done far more harm to the youth than marijuana will ever have the capacity to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies