Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

it's kellogg's money. if they don't care to give their money to phelps because he failed to wear a pink tu-tu at the olympics while yodeling the national anthem, that's entirely within their rights.

that said, current marijuana laws are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
THIS JUST IN: Somking weed is still illegal regardless of what your personal feelings are about it.
That doesn't make it wrong though. A long time ago, it was illegal to instruct a slave how to read. Would it be wrong? I'm pretty sure it was illegal to shelter a Jew from being shipped off to camps, but was it wrong?

An even worse example to set to the children is that they should mindlessly accept the law as absolute morality.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
That's right, it's called Civil Disobedience. Imagine what America would be like if MLKJr obeyed the law.

Lets not go as far as comparing the legalization of weed to having equal rights for every race in the country.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Not every law deserves to be followed.
especially when the govt used questionable tactics to gain public support for the abolition

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Lets not go as far as comparing the legalization of weed to having equal rights for every race in the country.
Whether it is analogous or not, it is the exact same principle.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Trust me - I can recognize such behavior, since as a tween/teenager I was unsupervised and pushing the envelope shall we say. My girls are world's apart from my life at that age - intentional on my part.

you must have a very low opinion of yourself if your throwing hammer and tongs at making sure your kids don't turn out like you. just an observation

Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Why not? Weed is actually safer than alcohol, rather than being "created equal" as races are. Potsmokers are generally more peaceful than alcoholics, and yet the potsmokers are the ones who are punished simply for the act; alcoholics don't get punished until it leads them to commit a crime (DUI, assault). It's just as much a civil injustice as segregation, because it involves punishments based on a hypocritical and arbitrary law. It's cultural discrimination.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
I'm very confused by this thread (not unusual through no fault of my own).

There seem to be two competing and contradictory arguments.

Kellogg's, has a right to hire or fire anyone they choose as a representative of their product. This is true, aside from contractual issues, beyond a doubt.

Kellogg's customers have a right to buy or not buy Kellogg's products for any reason whatsoever, and they have the right to organize others to do the same if for any reason Kellogg's offends their political or social viewpoint.

Both have these rights.

What I don't understand is how Kellogg's' right supersede the rights of the customers since the customers have a right which doesn't violate Kellogg's rights, particularly when Kellogg's underlying action is to attract customers to their products in the first place.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's kellogg's money. if they don't care to give their money to phelps because he failed to wear a pink tu-tu at the olympics while yodeling the national anthem, that's entirely within their rights.

that said, current marijuana laws are stupid.

i agree wholeheartedly with you. the reality is that the war on drugs is unjust. kelloggs, in taking an unnecessary stand for cheap pr, is fostering the attitude of intolerance which is why we as a country are not coming around to the fact that the war on drugs is unjust

Old 02-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:

lets not do anything which doesn't suit your narrowminded agenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies