Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times

Advertisements

As a member of the newly unemployed I'm wondering....how long will it take for the labor services to temporarily suspend the mandatory work search for compensation? When there is a limited number of employment situations in your area and you've pretty much exhausted the few openings in your trade, the mandatory "work search" requires you to further exhaust your meager resources by burning up gas, telephone, time, and mail services just to be told once again that there are no openings. A frustrating exercise in futility for a finite amount of weekly payments anyway.
These days it seems like more of a tool to weed out recipients than actually encouraging a return to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
tcrackly - You uncovered the reason for the search requirement. They want to thin the ranks of the recipients and nothing more. This system was designed for a time when unemployment was generally experienced by hourly factory workers and sales clerks but not for the trades or the professions. The initial assumption was that there is always work available and if you look you will find it. There has never been a rational for this assumption.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The unemployment rate is about 7%, there are still jobs out there obviously for those who want them. This isn't anywhere close to the Great Depression unemployment rates of 25-30%.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
The amount of jobs available is subjective to specific areas. Here in Maine most of the larger employers are laying off and closing down. Small businesses are still subsisting on what labor they have in place. There is no unlimited pool of employment. Couple that with the fact that the ranks of the unemployed are swelled by overseas out-sourcing and continued automation in clerical and industrial environments.
We're looking at a long future of under employment.

Brainy Robots To Lead To Longer Unemployment Lines? | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
As a member of the newly unemployed I'm wondering....how long will it take for the labor services to temporarily suspend the mandatory work search for compensation? When there is a limited number of employment situations in your area and you've pretty much exhausted the few openings in your trade, the mandatory "work search" requires you to further exhaust your meager resources by burning up gas, telephone, time, and mail services just to be told once again that there are no openings. A frustrating exercise in futility for a finite amount of weekly payments anyway.
These days it seems like more of a tool to weed out recipients than actually encouraging a return to work.
If you are not gainfully employed, you still have a full time job. Your new full time job is finding a job. In today's reality, it might even take overtime on your part. How is sitting on your butt and whining about "they want me to look for a job" working toward finding employment.

Finding gainful employment is NOT wasting your meager resources, it is the best use of your resources (before you loose everything) and you complain about wasting your 'time', what else do you have but time, but you will run out of that resource also if you don't use it wisely. Dude, what are you talking about, do your really think that while you sit on your azz playing Xbox that an employer is going to seek you out for a job?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The unemployment rate is about 7%, there are still jobs out there obviously for those who want them. This isn't anywhere close to the Great Depression unemployment rates of 25-30%.

I've sent out around 1000 resumes all over the country. I offered to relocate at my own expense. Ive offered to work for free to prove myself and I still cant find a job.

So explain to me why I cant find a job?

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
You can't find a job because you think you can still do your old job but that is one job, America doesn't need right now... I start expanding your focus a bit.... I applied for a manager's job and had zero experience and only half of an education... there were a dozen other people applying for the same job, late 30's to late 40's.... we each interviewed one after another... I was still in college at that time and had NO idea what I was doing there, I was looking for a job, saw an ad and applied for it.... I had ZERO idea what the job duties were but I beat out all of them for the job... they kept calling me and calling me asking me to join their office and manage it... I declined, cause I had no idea what I was suppose to do on the job... perhaps you should start looking to work in a job that isn't what you were doing... there are jobs out there... just not the one you are thinking about...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I've sent out around 1000 resumes all over the country. I offered to relocate at my own expense. Ive offered to work for free to prove myself and I still cant find a job.

Might be any number of things. What is your job experience and what field are you in?

It can take a lot of time, especially in this economy. Keep your chin up and keep looking.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post

[MOD CUT]
The unemployment rate of 7% is deceptive...

Gov't and healthcare are the only reason that rate is so low. Other than that...the rate is much worse, instead of an "average" of 7%

Job weakness: Beyond layoffs - Feb. 5, 2009

That's a good article that explains that the hiring freeze is a far more severe than the layoffs that the media hypes up, this is largely ignored but is just as serious of a problem..

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 AM

504 posts, read 902,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Might be any number of things. What is your job experience and what field are you in?

It can take a lot of time, especially in this economy. Keep your chin up and keep looking.

Good luck!
Sometimes it takes 99 No's to get 1 yes, or is that when the economy is good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies