Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times

Advertisements

Unemployment Rate Hits 7.6 Percent in January

Quote:
The U.S. economy lost another 598,000 jobs in January, a larger than expected decline that pushed the unemployment rate to 7.6 percent, from 7.2 percent in December.

It is the highest unemployment rate since the fall of 1992, with 11.6 million people out of work -- a headline number that is bound to figure into ongoing debate in the Senate today over the Obama administration's proposed economic stimulus package.
That's 13 consecutive months of job losses, and people are STILL talking about corporate tax cuts???

Congress better get on the ball, COMPROMISE, and get something together that will address the increasingly-bleak job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
All businesses and individuals should be given a big tax cut so that they can stimulate the economy. People who have more of their money to spend would buy more, businesses could hire more if they had more of their money.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Let's see ... the tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 .... still on the books, still in force, and yet the economy is tanking.

The simplistic answer of "tax cuts" just doesn't do it in today's economy.

"People who have more of their money to spend would buy more..." - people will save it rather than spend it, until confidence is restored, the banking system starts functioning again, and people are working again.

"... businesses could hire more if they had more of their money." - they could, but will they? Maybe so, unless the business is already out of business (Circuit City, Linens 'N Things, etc.)
"While retail chains topple like so many dominos as consumers cut back, the Republicans focus on cutting corporate taxes, as though the problem confronting American businesses was the tax on their profits rather than the fact that, in the absence of sales, they have no profits." - Source

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
All businesses and individuals should be given a big tax cut so that they can stimulate the economy. People who have more of their money to spend would buy more, businesses could hire more if they had more of their money.
Hey I'm doing my share to stimulate this dead economy. Just paid for cruise tickets to the Bahamas for March.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

That's 13 consecutive months of job losses, and people are STILL talking about corporate tax cuts???

Congress better get on the ball, COMPROMISE, and get something together that will address the increasingly-bleak job market.
What is it that you think they can "do" exactly?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
INDENT] "While retail chains topple like so many dominos as consumers cut back, the Republicans focus on cutting corporate taxes, as though the problem confronting American businesses was the tax on their profits rather than the fact that, in the absence of sales, they have no profits." - Source
[/indent]
Just like what I said in another thread: if you don't have a job (hence no income), tax cuts aren't going to be of any use to you.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Hey I'm doing my share to stimulate this dead economy. Just paid for cruise tickets to the Bahamas for March.
In January I paid a contractor w/ a wife and three kids $3000 CASH (he can decide if he wants to pay the gov. it's "fair" share).

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
I was looking at my HS yearbook the other day. it is from 1984. There was a page that had news clippings from the 83-84 class year. On top was one that said, "Job less rate drops to 8 1/2 % !!!!"

Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:

Think for a second. If corporations are losing money they cut their work force. Tax cuts might help slow their bleeding and slow the job loss rate. The surge in productivity reported this week still has to be processed and factored in. I know it sounds cruel but we may have been over employed at one point with a resulting drop in worker quality. Workers are taking less breaks and being more focused at work these days in order to keep their job and that is a good thing. If labor productivity goes up and labor cost go down that is what can create real economic growth on the other side of this.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
In January I paid a contractor w/ a wife and three kids $3000 CASH (he can decide if he wants to pay the gov. it's "fair" share).
Do you think he will report the full amount on his taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies