Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Apparently it worked well for the previous administration, you know... mushroom clouds over New York? Why try and reinvent the wheel? Obama is a politician after all.
To be fair I always felt Bush was matter-of-fact regarding the threats to this nation and those threats are still out there. There exists the possibility of a nuke being let off in the USA. Probably improbable, yet not impossible and it's things like that we have to be on top of.

After all, no one really wanted to believe planes would be hijacked and flown into skyscrapers and government buildings, that after all was something for the movies or a discovery channel tv show. And yet it happened.

With Obama saying "we choose hope over fear" and then saying if the Porkulus package isn't passed the economy will be doomed forever I say is irresponsible politicking and not leadership. How $335 million for herpes awareness and condoms and $400 mil for more scientists to blow hard about global warming isn't economic stimulus nor is it anything RELEVANT to our economic problems. All it is is debt for garbage I'll be paying for in high taxes for the next 30 years rather than having a nice life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
Well, just a reminder that he is the one that got on the phone for the last bailout to gather support for it. And the same tactic was applied---people were told that if it didn't pass, disaster would come, blah blah blah. Hell, noody knows where that money went....so how did the first bailout help the economy?And why is obama again instilling fear about passing this second stimulus plan?

“Here are the facts: For two weeks I was on the phone everyday with [Treasury] Secretary [Henry] Paulson and the congressional leaders making sure that the principles that have been ultimately adopted were incorporated in the bill,” Obama said.
Washington Wire - WSJ.com : McCain and Obama Indicate Support for Bailout Deal
Excuse me? Just a reminder, this meltdown happened on republican watch. When the then incumbent president was asked what he planned on doing about it he said "nothing", until he and his party witnessing the catastrophic consequences of lehman brothers nothingness, became convinced that a bailout was necessary. Not partisan, not pushed by either side, not a preconceived plan someone conspired, unless you mean to say every echelon of our government, every political party in power in USA and abroad for the past 20 + yrs were all in cahoots to willfully deliver this day to americans, and to every ancillary economy of the globe depending on the value of our dollar.

I very much hate (YES HATE) the idea of spending one thin dime to bail anyones rear end out. I might disagree with economists often, especially where the money has been going dime for dime, but when all the presidents men, and every economic adviser from both major poli parties and independent sources outside the fray of US politics can offer no other solution than the one Obama is pursuing I don't see how 'Obama is again instilling fear' reflects an adult who knows how to pay attention.

"Again", huh? Like the first time he was president or as in when he agreed with Bush making speeches warning of grave danger to the economy? Instilling fear? Does the word mitigate register in your vocabulary?

That fear was a pre-existing condition. It had already happened on wall street and abroad prior to election cycle. Nobody artificially put it there in a vast left AND right wing conspiracy. Investors saw a financial mess and they stampeded. You want a benchmark of when people got fearful watch the historic price of gold and silver as investors steadily sought any investment that could withstand devastation. How's that for investor confidence? Mortgage meltdown wasn't the last straw for them. Lehman brothers was. The time delay was in the american brain that anything that 'affected them' was wrong. Maybe you didn't notice right along with them because y'all were too stuck on yourselves??? That fear amplified over a 3-4yr period to crescendo this past fall, prior to Obama taking office.

Obama consulting expert advice from multiple sources about events that happen once a century is not the same as knocking on peoples doors to push an agenda as Bush did with Iraq. Lessons learned from our last depression stated that do nothing was the worst thing they could have done, which is the layman reason why economists in near unanimity advised and continue to push for bailouts. I don't like it one iota, but next time some smarmy idiot wants to sell you deregulation, think again about how willing you are to fund entire industries when they fall on their faces or risk utter devastation because their organization is 'too big to fail'.

You're not only wrong, you're outright lying. It doesn't even matter if you're consciously aware or just lying to yourself. Obama might deserve real criticism for failing to consider an option joe public never got to hear, but I guess we'll never know since too many backseat drivers whining in the background became the noise that drowned out legit scrutiny & reason. Bravo!

So much prophecy coming from Ron Paul, you'd think we'd hear better solutions coming from the man. I hear crickets.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
He very much is using fear.....I wouldnt call saying I won and the other things as reaching out to republicans.......
I just had to laugh when Obama said that, he sounded like a little kid playing a game...yipeeee I won. lol

Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
To be fair I always felt Bush was matter-of-fact regarding the threats to this nation and those threats are still out there. There exists the possibility of a nuke being let off in the USA. Probably improbable, yet not impossible and it's things like that we have to be on top of.

After all, no one really wanted to believe planes would be hijacked and flown into skyscrapers and government buildings, that after all was something for the movies or a discovery channel tv show. And yet it happened.

With Obama saying "we choose hope over fear" and then saying if the Porkulus package isn't passed the economy will be doomed forever I say is irresponsible politicking and not leadership. How $335 million for herpes awareness and condoms and $400 mil for more scientists to blow hard about global warming isn't economic stimulus nor is it anything RELEVANT to our economic problems. All it is is debt for garbage I'll be paying for in high taxes for the next 30 years rather than having a nice life.
There is a possibility the sun won't rise tomorrow either. Slim and near infinite odds, but "possible".

Point is, fear works and not only does it work, it seems to be infinitely recyclable. The Bush administration used it ab nausum and to the point where most just rolled their eyes and went on. In fact, they used it so much they even diminished the actual plausible threat because no one paid any attention.

This stimulus debate is one that I'm not convinced of and what I see now are a bunch of economist flailing away with their best guesses and hoping that something they do might work but having no clue if it will. I guess this is where the hope comes in, hope that this will work and America will stop hemorrhaging from its head wound.

All the people who created our global system of finance are the same people who ignored many of the people who warned that things needed closer attention because something was broke or wrong. These same people who created and ignored many problems are now the same people we turn to in order to fix things. Folks will have to pardon me if I'm not impressed. There is need for fear now as things may come crashing down so it doesn't surprise me that Obama would use this real fear to sell his ideas. However for me, I have no time to fear, things are going to happen regardless of my opinion or desire so the best I can do is prepare, let other people be afraid.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
hmmmmm.... reminds me of we need to go to Iraq so we can get those WMD's the difference is the economic crisis is real.
The fear invoked by Bush with the alert system, we must protect ourselves and give up our rights...Patriot Act... seems there is far more uses of fear you could look at than this one.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
But the solution he is demanding is not necessarily the answer,it is simply what he wants and using fear of a worse 'catastrophe' is what he is willing to use...

Just like the previous administration...except of course HIS administration is about change.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 AM

114 posts, read 180,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

You're not only wrong, you're outright lying. It doesn't even matter if you're consciously aware or just lying to yourself. Obama might deserve real criticism for failing to consider an option joe public never got to hear, but I guess we'll never know since too many backseat drivers whining in the background became the noise that drowned out legit scrutiny & reason. Bravo!

So much prophecy coming from Ron Paul, you'd think we'd hear better solutions coming from the man. I hear crickets.
As i said in the post, i'm not deluded by republicans and democrats; doesn't matter who was watching or what administration is in place Both parties are corrupt and don't have the interest of the people. As much as i'd love to believe Obama is doing the right thing, the fact that the first bailout didn't work, and he is still going for a 2nd one, doesn't instill much confidence in his decision making. As far as Ron Paul, I do recall he goes by austrian economic principles, and he has suggested many times not to let govt interfere in the mess. By the way...is been 3 months plus since the first bailout---care to explain how that helped the economy?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
It reminds me of Jimmy Carter's frustration after just a little while in Washington. In a perfect world both parties would work together for the good of the people. In the world he expected, the Democrats would work with him for the good of the people and at least some of the Republicans could be persuaded to, whether by carrot or by stick. What he's found is a lobbyist-driven factionalized rabble. Bill Clinton stepped right into that environment like it was his natural element. You'd have never guessed he was Washington outsider. For Carter it became a stone wall. Right now the main thing I hear in Obama's voice is righteous wrath, and I pray it doesn't turn to despair as it did with Jimmy.

The reality is Mr. President, you have before you a large sludgepile of alcoholic meatbags, saying out of one side of their mouths "Why haven't you done anything?", and out of the other "Over my dead body!" The good of the people and even Party have little or nothing to do with it. Every scrap of legislation will require a coalition and coalitions are built one vote at a time, every time. None of this will ever change, except that if you do your job with excellence surpassing every other President, in a few years the meatbags who are now saying "Why haven't you done anything?" and "Over my dead body!" will be saying "What have you done for me lately?" and "See my secretary."
This is the most honest post about that state of politics that I have ever read. Kudos!

A little depressing, but definitely the truth.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Wasn't it drug money that kept the banks afloat (high) during the Reagan/Clinton years?

What ever happened to using drugs to maintain a healthy economy?

Where are all the Cocaine Cowboys? Where is John Wayne?

Have the Mexicans seized control of our banking system?

YouTube - Scene from ''Scarface''

Mexicans take over drug trade to US | csmonitor.com

How's the economy in Mena, Arkansas?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:29 PM

312 posts, read 507,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's lawyer boilerplate, to cover every base they didnt cover in earlier specifics.

I dont know, some people dont think their jobs are pointless.
sorry I do not understand your babble about lawyers

if your job description is construction worker and you are building a bridge to nowhere, your job is pointless. and this is only ONE example

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies