Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm still perplexed as to why people keep calling it global warming...it's global climate change. I'd also like to know why others keep bringing up Al Gore in this argument...how does he have anything to do w/this?
Could it be because he is the poster child? Could it be that he is one of the biggest talkers on the subject and yet one of the worst examples to follow?
GW may be a real phenomenon but what is yet unproven is the why. Most gw scientist still don't agree as to the why. Are green policies better for the planet? No doubt about it. Should the USA do its share? No doubt about it. Should we foot the bill for anyone else? No way.
In the 1970's the scare was another ice age was coming. So we changed fuel blends and went unleaded gas only etc etc. Now its global warming. We have seen record cold weather here in the NE. Last summer was a cool summer.
The point is I am not convinced any of these so called experts really know anything. I think they are guessing at best. But I am all for developing alternative fuels and ways to produce powed. Corn ethanol isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Deniers...

I didn't know GW was a religon...and as for "Because NY had a cold day? Why is it that GW deniers are so simplistic?" I got news for you...Here in Boston its been freezing cold and snowy since December and we're in February now and still freezing...so much for one day...For your info I dont know where you two luny birds live...but I've spoken to friends and relatives around the country that say the same...its been freezing past two or three months where they are....but then again we're just simplistic deniers...Oh compJockey if you would...could you please mail me some suntan lotion...
You are a simplistic denier. You've had it explained to you over and over again that "global warming" is not about how hot or cold it is. Yet you keep posting one moronic comment after another based on the fact that it's snowy and cold in Boston. Which makes you either mentally deficient or a troll. Take your pick.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
It is truly the small-minded simpleton who believes a dramatic climatic change is supposed to happen "right now". This isn't a movie or a TV show and your life span is a blink in the grand scheme of planet Earth. I'm presuming the OP also believes dinosaurs went to sleep one night and never woke up because it got so cold everything died. Overnight. If the extinction of dinosaurs occurred due to a major global climatic change it likely took decades if not centuries to fully wipe them out.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 AM

114 posts, read 180,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm still perplexed as to why people keep calling it global warming...it's global climate change. I'd also like to know why others keep bringing up Al Gore in this argument...how does he have anything to do w/this?
Wasn't Al Gore given some type of price for his movie about global warming or climate change?
Hell, he is the one going around now and brainwashing kids with global warming?
Gore to Children: Question Your Parents' Climate Beliefs as We Questioned Segregation (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2009/20090204144819.aspx - broken link)
“The third crisis is one I talk about a lot – the climate crisis, global warming,” Gore continued. “What’s that all about? Most of you know what it’s all about, so I’m not going to dwell on it. But basically, because we’ve been relying so heavily on oil and coal, we’ve been burning larger and larger amounts of it in ways that pollute the atmosphere – not just of a city, not just of a region, but the entire world. And carbon dioxide, CO2, the principle global warming pollution, is different from the kind of pollution we’re used to thinking about.”

“The entire North Polar Ice Cap is melting,” Gore continued. “The sea level is rising, the storms are getting stronger. You know the story. It has to be dealt with and you have to help us deal with it because you – you’re not encumbered with these old assumptions that it’s OK to put all the pollution up there.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:38 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
Wasn't Al Gore given some type of price for his movie about global warming or climate change?
Hell, he is the one going around now and brainwashing kids with global warming?
Gore to Children: Question Your Parents' Climate Beliefs as We Questioned Segregation (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2009/20090204144819.aspx - broken link)
“The third crisis is one I talk about a lot – the climate crisis, global warming,†Gore continued. “What’s that all about? Most of you know what it’s all about, so I’m not going to dwell on it. But basically, because we’ve been relying so heavily on oil and coal, we’ve been burning larger and larger amounts of it in ways that pollute the atmosphere – not just of a city, not just of a region, but the entire world. And carbon dioxide, CO2, the principle global warming pollution, is different from the kind of pollution we’re used to thinking about.â€

“The entire North Polar Ice Cap is melting,†Gore continued. “The sea level is rising, the storms are getting stronger. You know the story. It has to be dealt with and you have to help us deal with it because you – you’re not encumbered with these old assumptions that it’s OK to put all the pollution up there.

For the thousandth time: Al Gore is irrelevant to the issue of global climate change. He is a popular spokesman for raising consciousness about it. That is all. Climate change is here and it's real, and it's our fault. The information comes from the most reputable scientists worldwide, yet climate change skeptics keep harping on Al Gore. Bizarre how simplistic some people can be.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,558 times
Really Moving Forward,

The following is a quote from Dr. Joanne Simpson

"Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly ... . As a scientist I remain skeptical." -- Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology and formerly of NASA who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called "among the most pre-eminent scientists of the last 100 years."

But I guess she's also a simplistic denier "moron" not in the same league intellectually as yourself & Fatchance...And if you [MOD CUT] believe that.... I own some swamp land in Florida that I would luv to sell you...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Really Moving Forward,

The following is a quote from Dr. Joanne Simpson

"Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly ... . As a scientist I remain skeptical." -- Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology and formerly of NASA who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called "among the most pre-eminent scientists of the last 100 years."

But I guess she's also a simplistic denier "moron" not in the same league intellectually as yourself & Fatchance...And if you [MOD CUT] believe that.... I own some swamp land in Florida that I would luv to sell you...

It's funny how you left out ONE KEY PHRASE in Dr Simpson's statement:

"What should we as a nation do? Decisions have to be made on incomplete information. In this case, we must act on the recommendations of Gore and the IPCC because if we do not reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and the climate models are right, the planet as we know it will in this century become unsustainable. But as a scientist I remain skeptical. "

http://climatesci.org/2008/02/27/trm...ivate-citizen/

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-08-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: personal attack/edited quoted post

Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 AM

Hey RUMBLEBELLY,

i MISSED U...

Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 AM

You know rumblebelly,

U can believe whatever u want...this whole GW movement is nothing more a than smoke screen for politicians to impose taxes...."Carbon foot print tax" being proposed...

Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 AM

A United Nations climate change recent conference in Poland got a surprise from 650 leading scientists who scoff at doomsday reports of man-made global warming – labeling them variously a lie, a hoax and part of a new religion.

Their voices were heard in a U.S. Senate minority report quoting the scientists, many of whom are current and former members of the U.N.'s own Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

About 250 of the scientists quoted in the report have joined the dissenting scientists in the last year alone.

In fact, the total number of scientists represented in the report is 12 times the number of U.N. scientists who authored the official IPCC 2007 report.

The denier ranks keep growing!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies