Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:28 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

Looking at the list of things Republicans demanded be cut from the Stimulus Bill in exchange for their two, yes two, votes for the stimulus bill I'm left scratching my head. I mean we upped the number of pretty useless tax cuts (and for short term stimulus tax cuts are pretty useless) and axed the following items:

Source: CNN

What got cut from the stimulus bill
Story Highlights
Bipartisan group of senators reaches compromise on stimulus bill

Items partially cut include funds for FBI construction, federal hybrid cars, EPA

Items entirely cut include funds for federal prisons, NASA, school construction

(CNN) -- A coalition of Democrats and some Republicans reached a compromise that trimmed billions in spending from an earlier version of the Senate economic stimulus bill.

CNN obtained, from a Democratic leadership aide, a list of some programs that have been cut -- either entirely or partially:

Partially cut:

• $3.5 billion for energy-efficient federal buildings (original bill $7 billion)

• $75 million from Smithsonian (original bill $150 million)

• $200 million from Environmental Protection Agency Superfund (original bill $800 million)

• $100 million from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (original bill $427 million)

• $100 million from law enforcement wireless (original bill $200 million)

• $300 million from federal fleet of hybrid vehicles (original bill $600 million)

• $100 million from FBI construction (original bill $400 million)

Fully eliminated

• $55 million for historic preservation

• $122 million for new Coast Guard polar icebreaker/cutters

• $100 million for Farm Service Agency modernization

• $50 million for CSERES research

• $65 million for watershed rehabilitation

• $30 million for SD salaries

• $100 for distance learning

• $98 million for school nutrition

• $50 million for aquaculture

• $2 billion for broadband

• $100 million for NIST

• $50 million for detention trustee

• $25 million for Marshalls Construction

• $300 million for federal prisons

• $300 million for BYRNE Formula

• $140 million for BYRNE Competitive

• $10 million state and local law enforcement

• $50 million for NASA

• $50 million for aeronautics

• $50 million for exploration

• $50 million for Cross Agency Support

• $200 million for National Science Foundation

• $100 million for science

• $1 billion for Energy Loan Guarantees

• $4.5 billion for GSA

• $89 million GSA operations

• $50 million from DHS

• $200 million TSA

• $122 million for Coast Guard Cutters, modifies use

• $25 million for Fish and Wildlife

• $55 million for historic preservation

• $20 million for working capital fund

• $165 million for Forest Service capital improvement

• $90 million for State and Private Wildlife Fire Management

• $1 billion for Head Start/Early Start

• $5.8 billion for Health Prevention Activity

• $2 billion for HIT Grants

• $600 million for Title I (NCLB)

• $16 billion for school construction

• $3.5 billion for higher education construction

• $1.25 billion for project based rental

• $2.25 for Neighborhood Stabilization

• $1.2 billion for retrofitting Project 8 housing

• $40 billion for state fiscal stabilization (includes $7.5 billion of state incentive grants)

Read more: What got cut from the stimulus bill - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 PM

It seems like a lot of useful real construction and purchases of hardware got dumped in favor of tax cuts when the only way to really stimulate the economy in the short run is to increase purchases from factories and to provide construction jobs. Why did we cut half the spending to install double pane windows in Federal buildings along with energy efficient light bulbs, weather striping, and other energy efficient items? Are those not direct construction and installation jobs?

-$200 million to clean up Super Fund sites wouldn't have created jobs and filled a useful need?

-Slashing half the money for Law Enforcement to purchase wireless communications equipment wouldn't have helped factory workers stay on the job?

-Spending $300 million buying American made hybrid cars to replace gas guzzlers currently used by Federal agencies wouldn't have saved jobs in the auto sector?

- $100 million for new buildings for the FBI wouldn't have created new construction jobs?

- $122 million for new Coast Guard polar icebreaker/cutters. So now ship building doesn't create jobs according to Republicans?

Jesus Christ the list just goes on and on. Why are we slashing real economic stimulus items in favor of tax cuts which every professional economist says doesn't really stimulate anything? What worse is we're doing this just for TWO FRIGGING votes from the Republicans? http://www.cybertavern.net/speakeasy/images/smilies/wtf.gif (broken link) Votes we don't even need to pass the bill? WTH are we making the bill massively worse just to appease dip ****s who won't even vote for it anyway? Why not just tell them to **** off and do the right thing and ignore the insane Republican demands?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
If Obama's new trillion debt for us is so great then why not make it $50 trillion in new debt? I'm sure you democrats cannot see a problem with adding any amount of debt to this nation.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Rather sad for someone to believe that the gov't can spend their own money better than themselves. . . but how about me? Can I spend your money too?
And there just might be a chance if we choose to keep the head stuck in sand instead.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:27 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Politics the GOP played was genious. They now that their base is blind. They have showed they are for themselves and don't give a damn about country. Same for their supporters.

With each passing minute, Obama's spending bill stinks all the more... Obama wants to sneak it in; it will be his landmark victory, as the economy will get better with or without the "Obscene-Stimulus-Pork Bill". Obama's window of opportunity is closing fast, I hope people realize what this bill really is: a Red Bull energized, qouta based unearthing of the Great Society, with New Dealesque construction projects.

Obama's intention is to create as many 'dependent' Americans as possible, turning once vibrant and enrepreneurous peoples into government pawns, all the while passifying his most 'fervent' supporters.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-07-2009 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: copyrighted image

Old 02-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
With each passing minute, Obama's spending bill stinks all the more... Obama wants to sneak it in; it will be his landmark victory, as the economy will get better with or without the "Obscene-Stimulus-Pork Bill". Obama's window of opportunity is closing fast, I hope people realize what this bill really is: a Red Bull energized, qouta based unearthing of the Great Society, with New Dealesque construction projects.

Obama's intention is to create as many 'dependent' Americans as possible, turning once vibrant and enrepreneurous peoples into government pawns, all the while passifying his most 'fervent' supporters.

cuba libre is a bigot. I mean how can you post garbage "cartoons" like that and claim you are not a bigot?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAH View Post
Wow..

How about one of you geniuses edumacate me....

I was unaware that it was the job of our government, our tax dollars, to create jobs?
Didn't know that, I want a job, where is my job? oh, you mean I don't have to wait for Nobama to hand me a job? You mean this is a free country where I am aloud to get a job on my own? You mean I have the right/freedom to be as rich or as poor as I want to be/choose to be?
Weird, didn't realize that...
Hand out, where's mine?
Oh wait, guess I should not have worked so hard in school, should not have busted my arse 12-14 hours a day to get ahead, should not have moved state to state making sacrifices just to get ahead. Dang it! I could have just flipped burgers as I did in High School, and kept my hand out so the government would have made sure that I have what I deserve! Deserve...hmmm...well, I suppose we need a dictionary to define that...

Oh, and I am not rich by any stretch, I make a good income due to hard work and dedication. Something that seems to be lacking in this country right now!
Obviously it is not as simple as that. Free markets dictate the job markets and right now the job markets have practically nothing to offer to the millions who have been laid off. It is the governments duty to run certain things in a country such as police, military and infrastructure. Infrastructure projects need to be done sooner or later, so why not now when we have millions of people out of jobs and producing nothing. If they become long term unemployed they will become a burden to the society. Not to mention that if they are out of jobs, they can't pay for their mortgages, and will continue to fuel the foreclosure boom. Tax cuts are fine, but them alone will nto solve the problem, because we have reached the critical point where people would keep the money they save throug cuts and put in the bank instead of spending it. Therefore tax cuts alone would have little impact. Sure, corporate tax rates need to be cut to improve competetiveness. They need to be halved.

I do not think the govt should run the economy, but at certain times they need to intervene in order to get things back on track. Of course it is really the duty of the Federal Reserve to regulate economy and make sure we never end up in a mess like that, but history has proven time and time again that it is usually the Fed who creates the problems. They sure created this one. Remember in 2004 when Greenspan went on TV to encourage low income people to take advantage of sub-prime mortgages? Yep, he sure did, and he KNEW that the rates had no where to go but up. The Fed rate at the time was 1%. And sure enough, millions fell for it. But then again the Fed is owned by the banks, and the banks interests come before the interest of the nation.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Obviously it is not as simple as that. Free markets dictate the job markets and right now the job markets have practically nothing to offer to the millions who have been laid off. It is the governments duty to run certain things in a country such as police, military and infrastructure. Infrastructure projects need to be done sooner or later, so why not now when we have millions of people out of jobs and producing nothing. If they become long term unemployed they will become a burden to the society. Not to mention that if they are out of jobs, they can't pay for their mortgages, and will continue to fuel the foreclosure boom. Tax cuts are fine, but them alone will nto solve the problem, because we have reached the critical point where people would keep the money they save throug cuts and put in the bank instead of spending it. Therefore tax cuts alone would have little impact. Sure, corporate tax rates need to be cut to improve competetiveness. They need to be halved.

I do not think the govt should run the economy, but at certain times they need to intervene in order to get things back on track. Of course it is really the duty of the Federal Reserve to regulate economy and make sure we never end up in a mess like that, but history has proven time and time again that it is usually the Fed who creates the problems. They sure created this one. Remember in 2004 when Greenspan went on TV to encourage low income people to take advantage of sub-prime mortgages? Yep, he sure did, and he KNEW that the rates had no where to go but up. The Fed rate at the time was 1%. And sure enough, millions fell for it. But then again the Fed is owned by the banks, and the banks interests come before the interest of the nation.
+1 4U

...because 1 + 1 = 2

Old 02-07-2009, 04:54 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post

Ok know it all, you want to debate the new deal with me, I will embarass you again. First you might want to read about the Great depression starting after WWI. Then you will see that you have bought into one big lie about FDR and the new deal. I don't expect you to read it because your stuck in you own small mind. Just in case you are brave enoigh here it is. If you would like more I have more soures.So are you man enough to to try and debate new deal facts.
Full text of "The Age Of Great Depression 1929-1941"
This link was posted by a poster that seems more on the consevative side of the spectrum.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM

24,407 posts, read 23,065,142 times
The politicians win and everybody else loses. Its still a terrible do nothing spending spree and if its a little less terrible after the republicans forced some changes on it then big deal. Just remember who voted for and supported this mess and have the guts to vote them out next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies