Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 AM

37,186 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

Since much of Alaska is wilderness, aircraft are used to cover the distances required to find the wolves.
If the wolves are that far apart, it doesn't seem like they would be much of a threat to anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If the wolves are that far apart, it doesn't seem like they would be much of a threat to anything...
But it's fun, and there's no end to the rationales for fuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
I have an idea from my vegan daughter who spent a year in Fairbanks in a cabin with a porcupine living underneath, and an outhouse because conventional plumbing would have frozen solid.

She managed to survive the -50 temperatures niicely without wearing leather or fur, and even found enough sustenance to keep her going as a vegan.

If a hundred pound girl who was raised in the South can do it, I'm certain others can as well, if they are intelligent enough.
Your a hoot!

Fairbanks is not the wilderness, it is a city. I assume she was going to college there, many of the UAF students live in cabins where the rent is cheap and are not equipped with running water because of that fact.

Hardly the "wilderness experience" of using an outhouse as qualifications of knowing what you are talking about. Which makes your claim of knowing about Alaska as a pretty goofy source of expertise.

By the way, most houses in Fairbanks have indoor plumbing just like where you live, and they don't freeze solid... That should pop your bubble a bit....

Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
You think Alaska is the only state with wolves? You need to get out more.
The wolves in the states (lower 49) are mostly in the National parks or were reintroduced with Canadian wolves like in Yellowstone some years back.

There are wolves in some states, but not in the thousands like Alaska has. The state culling some wolves is management of our resources, unlike most states that have game management that is good for their State. And I would assume is managed by people that are familiar with their respected States needs.

I have no clue to what a State like Florida does for wildlife managment, so there is no way I would try to make off the wall statements claiming to be an expert like many are doing here on Alaska when most can't find it on a map. That makes those making claims as "Experts" look more like clowns.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Well that statement shows a complete lack any knowledge of Alaska and why I consider most of the Anti Palin/Wolf critics pretty much intellectually challenged.

Do you have any clue about the plight of the endangered Alaskan Penguin's?

How about the rare arctic snow snakes that are being killed for their white fur?

Now if that don't get the fur flying, I don't know what will.....

Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
The wolves in the states (lower 49) are mostly in the National parks or were reintroduced with Canadian wolves like in Yellowstone some years back.

There are wolves in some states, but not in the thousands like Alaska has. The state culling some wolves is management of our resources, unlike most states that have game management that is good for their State. And I would assume is managed by people that are familiar with their respected States needs.

I have no clue to what a State like Florida does for wildlife managment, so there is no way I would try to make off the wall statements claiming to be an expert like many are doing here on Alaska when most can't find it on a map. That makes those making claims as "Experts" look more like clowns.
Did you read the links? Did you inform yourself of the facts? Clearly not. So clearly you're not interested in the facts. You're merely interested, like most ideological fanatics, in towing the party line--in this case, where wolves are concerned. So many of your statements contain falsehoods, and you refuse to even read refuting evidence to your claim, so what's the point of discussing this with you?

I will post it one more time. If you refuse to read it, then I think your agenda becomes clear:

Sarah Palin, predator control, shooting wolves | Salon

Old 02-08-2009, 12:06 PM

37,186 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Your a hoot!

Fairbanks is not the wilderness, it is a city. I assume she was going to college there, many of the UAF students live in cabins where the rent is cheap and are not equipped with running water because of that fact.

Hardly the "wilderness experience" of using an outhouse as qualifications of knowing what you are talking about. Which makes your claim of knowing about Alaska as a pretty goofy source of expertise.

By the way, most houses in Fairbanks have indoor plumbing just like where you live, and they don't freeze solid... That should pop your bubble a bit....
I responded to your post #62 about wearing fur and eating meat.

If you don't know what you wrote, I certainly can't help you much.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Cheri Shankar: Palin Shows No Love for Baby Wolves
Sarah Palin and her support of hunting wolves from helicopters if ALL OVER THE INTERNET.
OH, so just because a bunch of folks that have no clue to what they are whining about is on the Internet, makes it true? Pretty much proves if you tell a lie enough times, people start to believe it..

Quote:
State will sue over polar bear listing, Palin says: Polar Bear News | adn.com
Check this link out directly to an Alaskan newspaper. Palin was so against the polar bear being added to the endangered list, Alaska sued over it.
The polar bears are not endangered, they are being used as a ploy by the left to shut down oil exploration on the North Slope of Alaska, and you are in the front seat of their bus.

In the early 60's they were endangered, not now, there is no "Hunting" of them as is claimed by the "Nutjobs" on the internet, they are only killed in defense of life or in the case of the Natives, for subsitance.

This is a thread I started some time back about the polar bears in Alaska, it was shut down because of some goofballs that can't see the obvious and were whining it was too political. There is a lot of photos of the bears I ran into daily on my job.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...bears-not.html

Quote:
As for me, I do indeed love animals. I would only harm a wild animal if the animal was going to cause harm to myself or another human being. I have yet to meet someone who loves wild animals so much they are willing to allow themselves to be killed or maimed for them.
Who doesn't like animals?

That doesn't mean you don't manage their impact. Too many wolves kill too many moose, the moose die out the wolf starve to death. It is better to have a smaller wolf population that keeps the moose in check verses wiping out the moose population from doing nothing....

Quote:
Palin is a dangerous crackpot. At least Cheney only shot at his lawyer, we could do with a few less of them in the states.
Palin is a dangerous crackpot? You clearly have no real knowledge of either her, or the State of Alaska.

You are correct about Cheney hunting lawyers though.... good call!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Did you read the links? Did you inform yourself of the facts? Clearly not. So clearly you're not interested in the facts. You're merely interested, like most ideological fanatics, in towing the party line--in this case, where wolves are concerned. So many of your statements contain falsehoods, and you refuse to even read refuting evidence to your claim, so what's the point of discussing this with you?

I will post it one more time. If you refuse to read it, then I think your agenda becomes clear:

Sarah Palin, predator control, shooting wolves | Salon
Um, I live here, read your story, and in the world of those "facts stated", they are written by someone with a far left agenda and not much related to the real facts, only the ones they wish to parade around as "Factual"...

You clearly are a follower of those misinformed facts, maybe you should come to Alaska, go out into the wilderness and see what the real facts are verses sitting on a couch reading false stories with just enough truth to sound plausible...

Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Um, I live here, read your story, and in the world of those "facts stated", they are written by someone with a far left agenda and not much related to the real facts, only the ones they wish to parade around as "Factual"...

You clearly are a follower of those misinformed facts, maybe you should come to Alaska, go out into the wilderness and see what the real facts are verses sitting on a couch reading false stories with just enough truth to sound plausible...
If you think the wildlife biologists interviewed have an "agenda," I rest my case.

"Real facts," indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies