U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,951,203 times

Advertisements

Patent For a Pig

So I watched the above documentary "Monsanto - Patent for the pig." And while I know the film has a agenda behind it. The whole issue about patenting life to me is rather worrying. I mean what is going to be the end result of this? Will small farmers be wiped out from the face of the earth? Will only one or two companies control all food supplies? And if the documentary's assertion about Monsanto not really testing there products before selling them...........then what could happen to human race if something goes wrong. I don't know guys. Now let me just stipulate that I definitely for genetic engineering and stem cell research in general. I think the science will end up helping us more than hurting us. And while I know that private industry should be rewarded for there time and efforts in to the reseach......This idea of patenting life coupled with the fact, that to prove that your not patent infringing is nearly impossible (at least at this point)....had got my stomach a bit queasy.

I don't know. What your take on this guys?

BTW. I know that there have been pass court cases on this issue. And the legal question is settled on this issue (for now) for the side of industry in the U.S.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM

385 posts, read 570,757 times
I love Vandana Shiva.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:32 PM

114 posts, read 165,047 times
This goes back to the basic premise of, if angels were running communism, then that form of govt would most likely work; problem is that you got humans running it and then you run into greed, power, liars, and well, things don't end well.
The same thing could be said of monsanto; although they claim that modified crops/food will end up saving humanity, so far their actions basically show that they are out there to make money and care little about what's best for humans. So if angels ran monsanto, wouldn't have a problem with this company. Unfortunately, humans run it, and there is a history of corruption in that company.
Let's see...so far it seems monsanto is dedicated to annihilating small farmers. Farmer A decides to grow modified crops in his farm, and farmer B decides not to; the lands are next to each other, so because of the wind and birds, farmer's b land will somehow get 'contaminated' with farmer's a's crops. Monsanto then comes along to farmer b and says they are using their 'patented' seeds and sues him and puts him out of business. Is that reasonable? This is what monsanto has done.
Then there are the stories where monsanto is modifying seeds/food, and they are not even testing the end results on what this might cause to humans. Bottom line, monsanto is bad news and most people are not aware of their tactics.
Here is one story about milk and monsanto---the story got killed, and i wonder why!

YouTube - Fox News Kills Monsanto Milk Story

Agricultural Giant Battles Small Farmers, Monsanto Goes To Great Lengths To Protect Its Patents On Genetically Modified Crops - CBS News
Monsanto's Harvest of Fear | vanityfair.com

Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 PM

772 posts, read 1,132,664 times
This is more proof to me for that intellectual property rights are absurd, and the government shouldn't be in the business of awarding patent licensing. The very idea that the first caveman to invent the wheel had the right to beat senseless anybody else you dared to use the wheel, hopefully dispels the ideological nonsense.
If monsanto feels another farmer has unfairly stolen its property, let them proof it in court. It seems Monsanto conveniently ignores the fact that they are in the business of selling something that is self-propagating and if they don't like plants having the free will to multiply like every other plant species maybe they should get into making tractors or another business.

We should all demand transparency and expect our local shopkeepers to tell us if their produce is genetically modified. I should have the right to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies