Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Americans "glorify white trash"? . Trailer parkers and rural folks are generally classified this way by the urban elite but it is hardly a glorification. Poor white folks livving below the poverty line are the butt of more ridicule and contempt than any other cutural group in America. "Ghetto "gangstahs" are glorified. Gang culture in general is glorified so long as the gangs in question are Black or Hispanic. White "gangs" are always portrayed as racist in nature and goal. (Skinheads, neo Nazis etc) and trailer park folks are always portrayed as being sympathetic to the Klan. Black and Hispanic gangs are portrayed as "rebelling" against white oppression and furthuring their racial and cultural identities. Their gang activities are merely the only option they have to make a living and present their cultural pride dontcha know.. "White trash" is being glorified? Whatever.... Poor rural white folks seem to be the only ethnic group in America that don't HAVE a right to a "cultural identity" that is not a bullseye for scorn and ridicule by a society gone mad for "diversity".
Well....uh....OK...

We DO want diversity...we just don't want it bad enough to include the 'white trash'....we'll tolerate JUST ABOUT anything..unless, of course, it's intolerant. We don't like racists, UNLESS they have a good REASON to feel racist.....and we don't like gangs, unless they have a good reason to exist.

Makes SOME sense, I THINK....if you look at it just right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well....uh....OK...

We DO want diversity...we just don't want it bad enough to include the 'white trash'....we'll tolerate JUST ABOUT anything..unless, of course, it's intolerant. We don't like racists, UNLESS they have a good REASON to feel racist.....and we don't like gangs, unless they have a good reason to exist.

Jeez, Mac. Once again I feel superfluous around here.

Lighten up, willya? Leave some crumbs for us sprightly senior citizens.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Well....uh....OK...

Ummmm OK. Why didn't you quote my WHOLE post and put what I said in context? The intent was to put bigotry AS A WHOLE forward as a bad thing regardless of the identity of said bigots. Just as not all people who live in the inner city are gang banging bling kings, not all people who live in trailer parks are intolerant and ignorant "rednecks". They are just the only ones portrayed negatively with no recourse to say otherwise. That begs the question of where , exactly, "intolerance" lurks.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
"White Trash" is considered a racial slur (The Racial Slur Database). I wonder if this thread would have been closed if the title were:

Why does America glorify n******s?
Why does America glorify k***S?
Why does America glorify t****-****s?
Why does America glorify c******n?
Why does America glorify w******s?
Why does America glorify d***s?
Why does America glorify w**s?
Why does America glorify (any non-white racial slur)?

Haven't you heard??? Its A-OK to down white people, but if they do it to someone else its a no-no......Because all these poor defenseless other races have been kept down by the mean and awful white man for so long, its they're way of payback.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummmm OK. Why didn't you quote my WHOLE post and put what I said in context? The intent was to put bigotry AS A WHOLE forward as a bad thing regardless of the identity of said bigots. Just as not all people who live in the inner city are gang banging bling kings, not all people who live in trailer parks are intolerant and ignorant "rednecks". They are just the only ones portrayed negatively with no recourse to say otherwise. That begs the question of where , exactly, "intolerance" lurks.
I THOUGHT I was agreeing with you...If I said what I THINK I said, then I'm on your side. If, however, I don't know what it is I said, and if I in fact I didn't say what I MEANT to say, but instead said what you SAY I said, then I apologize..I THINK.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 73,666 times
America should glorify the people who "won the West", set up our laws, institutions, gave the country its work ethic and morals, built our first cities, gave us our infrastructure (railroads, roads, city plans, etc.), and set up our universities and hospitals.

These people were "pioneers", not mere immigrants who came from Russia or Poland after all the hard work was done.

The pioneers were mostly Scots-Irish and English and Germans.

These people are not white trash. White trash ought to be a "********" word just like ****** is.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM

"I don't know whether America glorifies White Trash....but by cracky, I'll tell ya ONE thing, and you can take That to the Bank....White Trash sure as hell glorifies AMERICA....yes sirEEEE !!"

(Least-ways, that's the word, accordin' to the boys down to the fillin' station)

Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
I THOUGHT I was agreeing with you...If I said what I THINK I said, then I'm on your side. If, however, I don't know what it is I said, and if I in fact I didn't say what I MEANT to say, but instead said what you SAY I said, then I apologize..I THINK.
LMAO, sorry, it was I who took things out of context. Such is the way of things for those of us educated in schools that are in close proximity to trailer parks. Linguistic skills are often overlooked and proper interprtation of sarcasm and other skills of prose are weak ya know

Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I think the OP was taken out of context... maybe he could have phrased it better, but I can understand where he is coming from. I live in a weird place... 'elitists' mixing with 'white trash' on a regular basis so I know plenty of each. I'm being mostly stereotypical, but this is coming from my own experience, so here goes. My 'white trash' friends are trashy. They barely graduated high school and most already had 1 or 2 kids by the time they were 18, and most don't know exactly who the fathers are. They have never held a job that made more than $1 above minimum wage, very uneducated and proud of it. They chain smoke, sell weed to make extra money because 'working is too hard' and lie on food stamp/welfare applications to get more money. One of them works under the table at a catering company for cash and gets $500+ a month extra in food stamps/assistance. That is what I consider trash, and unfortunately the majority of them are white. (a black friend of mine who grew up in that environment decided he didn't want to be a career drug dealer, so he went into the army. That's they only way he could see to get away from it)

Now, to the 'elistist'. College educated, they look down on 'trash' and don't necessarily want to be associated with them because of the possible criminal element (most of the 'trash' are watched by police, or have criminal records). A few of my friends consider me a 'prudish, wet towel elitist' because I have a full time job and need to be in bed by 9pm, so I can't drink myself into oblivion every night like they do. My 'elitist' friends would rather drink a bit of wine and have religious/political discussions, and since the 'trash' friends don't understand what we're talking about, we're automatically considered elitist.

I figure, different strokes for different folks. As long as you can take care of yourself and are enjoying your life, who cares if it's wine and politics, or beer and nascar. We're all Americans, the only thing I don't agree with is being proud of being uneducated and selling drugs, especially around children.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdL View Post
America should glorify the people who "won the West", set up our laws, institutions, gave the country its work ethic and morals, built our first cities, gave us our infrastructure (railroads, roads, city plans, etc.), and set up our universities and hospitals.

These people were "pioneers", not mere immigrants who came from Russia or Poland after all the hard work was done.

The pioneers were mostly Scots-Irish......

Well one thing the Scotch-Irish did not give this country was a work ethic. They'd rather hunt, fish, collect disability and cook meth than work and one Pole can run a dozen of them into the ground.

They're excellent haters though and true connosseurs of malice with Indians, Blacks and Catholics being particular victims of their venom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies