Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times

Advertisements

Explain how tax cuts will help you if you don't have a job. Say, you have zero income. Cut tax bracket from 35% to 15%. So that's from 35% of zero to 15% of zero. Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default It's amazing, isn't it?

If you have zero income, and pay zero taxes, you still will get a tax refund with President Obama's scheme! Brilliant!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Well, if you have zero income, you would probably be on some kind of welfare.. Keep in mind that tax cuts also affect welfare checks, unemployment benefits, SS, etc. In theory if you cut taxes, people have more money to spend, and that naturally brings the economy back. The 'trickle down' effect states that if businesses have extra money from not having to pay as much in taxes, they will invest more in their business and create more jobs; Unfortunately most extra money goes to shareholders, not towards capital investment....

The stimulus package is basically a crash course in the 'trickle down' effect. By injecting so much money into all these businesses and pet projects, the current administration is hoping it will trickle down and create new jobs. I assume that it will create new jobs, but re-sodding the national mall will only keep a few ditch diggers employed for so long....

Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Explain how tax cuts will help you if you don't have a job. Say, you have zero income. Cut tax bracket from 35% to 15%. So that's from 35% of zero to 15% of zero. Brilliant.
If the employers are given tax cuts, they may be able to hire you, and the individuals who have more of their own money to spend will stimulate the economy also helping you have a job again.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Well, the ""cut taxes-create jobs"" did NOT work OBVIOUSLY when people DID have jobs so why would it work now???

No, let's keep doing the same old same old and see where it goes.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM

266 posts, read 402,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well, the ""cut taxes-create jobs"" did NOT work OBVIOUSLY when people DID have jobs so why would it work now???

Tax cuts did not create this mess, bad loans did.

Guess you missed that.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Why would someone on welfare or not working expect a tax cut? They aren't contributing to the economy, they aren't providing jobs to anyone. You can't penalize the productive and reward the non-productive and have any good come from that.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by small arms View Post
Tax cuts did not create this mess, bad loans did.

Guess you missed that.
Well, here's my post and you must've missed where I never said that:

""Well, the ""cut taxes-create jobs"" did NOT work OBVIOUSLY when people DID have jobs so why would it work now???

No, let's keep doing the same old same old and see where it goes.""

Now , show me where I said that tax cuts created this mess.......

Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

EXACTLY! And I didn't notice my taxes going down in the past 8 years anyway. Obama's plan is to actually give the middle class decent tax cuts, which will help those who have jobs. But you've got to spend to create jobs, and that's our biggest problem right now. How anyone thinks that doing the same thing that helped get us into this mess will make things better is beyond me.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why would someone on welfare or not working expect a tax cut? They aren't contributing to the economy, they aren't providing jobs to anyone. You can't penalize the productive and reward the non-productive and have any good come from that.
There are plenty of productive, good workers out there who no longer have jobs. Stereotyping all the unemployed as non-productive is harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies