Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 01:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The Republican Party in many states like Utah, Tennessee, Idaho, etc. is seen as being doctrinally superior to the Democratic Party.

And, very, very white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
which Jews you know there are supidly too groups of jews, secular and religous jews of judaism...i have to know why a secular group exist. are there jews who are secular and decide to become christian what does that make them a jewish christian makes sense doesnt it.
Actually, there are at least 8-9 types of Jews... Reform (myself), Conservative, Orthodox, Chasidic, Conservadox, Modern Orthodox, Lubavitch, and one I'm blanking on right now.

And yes, there are secular Jews as well, although VERY few of them become Christians as far as I know - they generally just hang on to the cultural side of Judaism, while having more Atheist/Agnostic beliefs. I'm actually more of a secular Jew than a Reform, although I do occasionally go to Temple & observe the major holidays. But since you asked WHY do secular Jews exist, it's because Judaism is more of a culture than a religion for many. You can be Jewish without practicing the religious side, since we have developed into much more than a set of beliefs. While being Jewish isn't technically an ethnic group, it may as well be.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
That theory works very well until you realize just HOW MANY are extreme...I currently live in a neighborhood with 20.000 muslims and about 1000 atheists(including me)

I have never met such a respectless people anywhere else than in many of these muslims, i'd rather live next to a pack of pirates. I'm so sick of them that some would call me a right wing extremist, but the way i see it i'm simply a realist.
Crime is about 2000% higher here than in native swedish neighborhoods within a 5 mile radius.
Swedish elders and women are afraid when walking the streets etc.
I've heard countless life threats because im not muslim myself...
And the politicians wont take it up to debate...they seem afraid aswell...

Just to give some perspective...
Politicians are afraid of being politically incorrect. Unfortunately these days, being politically incorrect includes addressing any negative issue in minority communities and being labeled a racist.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
It is hard for a good Christian to vote for a Democrat when the party supports gay rights, abolishing god from government, banning faith based welfare, and abolishing prayer in public schools.

The Republican Party in many states like Utah, Tennessee, Idaho, etc. is seen as being doctrinally superior to the Democratic Party.
See..it's statements like that.

First.. lets look at President Obama.. a Democratic President. He is religious. .. he is a Christian and has his religion.. HOWEVER.. HE respects that NOT ALL American's share the same religious beliefs as he.

And he has set up a faith based office that is EXPANDING on the one Bush had set up. I heard his speech on a pod cast that he made at the prayer breakfast. He gets it..

Why does being religious enough mean that you only recognize a similar belief as your own? That's where the Republicans have me scratching my head.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
It is hard for a good Christian to vote for a Democrat when the party supports gay rights, abolishing god from government, banning faith based welfare, and abolishing prayer in public schools.

This post above is why a lot of liberals get very frustrated (not hate) certain sects of conservative Christianty (who have co-opted the name "Christian" to reflect their political ideology).

The reason there is a push to "ban God" from public life (which is impossible, only banning religion is possible) is because certain sects push as hard as they can to control our public life, believing their interpretation of God's message is the only correct one. The only logical response is to push back harder.

"If you can't play fair, you can't play at all."

If there were a concerted effort to celebrate the teachings of Muhammad in schools and in our laws, I doubt many Christians would support prayer in schools or religion in government.

"When you understand why you reject any interpretation of God but your own, you will understand why I reject yours".

Understand that there is no one true path, stop forcing your beliefs on people, and you will see conservative Christians treated with the same respect as Buddhists, Quakers, and all the other religions that practice freely in our society. Try to control other peoples' lives and assert your beliefs as irrefutable fact, and you will continue to wonder why "liberals hate conservative Christians".

Quote:
Liberals, on the other hand, are more easily irked, which is odd, given that they are liberal. They also seem to be uptight, playing to "intolerant" or "racist" card at any opportunity. Their laundry list of "shoulds" seems to be quite long.
This is because liberals tend to focus more on society at large while conservatives focus on individuality and family. Both are important. When you are tuned into the problems of the world, though, you begin to understand the actions of individuals as potentially damaging to the overall global society we find ourselves in (whether it be through race, ecological destruction, economic oppression, etc...). These issue affect us all, not just one family.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlineerik View Post
That theory works very well until you realize just HOW MANY are extreme...I currently live in a neighborhood with 20.000 muslims and about 1000 atheists(including me)

I have never met such a respectless people anywhere else than in many of these muslims, i'd rather live next to a pack of pirates. I'm so sick of them that some would call me a right wing extremist, but the way i see it i'm simply a realist.
Crime is about 2000% higher here than in native swedish neighborhoods within a 5 mile radius.
Swedish elders and women are afraid when walking the streets etc.
I've heard countless life threats because im not muslim myself...
And the politicians wont take it up to debate...they seem afraid aswell...

Just to give some perspective...
I'm not sure what you mean.

Could you give me some examples of why the crime rate is higher, or why people fear muslims where you live.

I guess you can say that here in the U.S ..(I'm originally from NY) most of those practicing Muslims practice it for themselves and live their life accordingly.. but do not expect others outside their family or circle to live it either and respect that they don't. In otherwords, if they are out in the world and see a couple being affectionate or a woman not wearing religious headress etc., they do not so much care that that person is not ..well living as they are.

I don't know if you want to call them more moderate or simply more tolerant of other's choices.

There are muslims who feel that everyone should live as they and do not respect and think we should all be Muslim or we are ..well against god. Perhaps those are the ones that can then be termed "extreme". And if their actions are as such, then they are Muslim Extremists.. especially if violence is what they use as a "punishment" for not being muslim.

Living in NY with all sorts of different religions I have never encountered a muslim extremist, in the sense that they would harm me or anyone else for not practicing what they deem as the "right" religion. I did, however get into a philosophical discussion once with a muslim cab driver when I argued how they can feel a woman is less than a man if we were both created by god.. LOL. that was interesting.. and it was lighthearted.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
^
I grew up in the Midwestern U.S. in a school with a sizable Muslim population. There was no violence or hatred or anything. They were typically very smart and conscientious students who exceled beyond a majority of the white students.

However, the larger fact that fundamentalism of any sort - be it Christian, Muslim, scientific, or other - is dangerous and prone to violence is probably what you were experiencing.

Characterizing all of Islam by those fanatical sects would be like dismissing Christianity because certain extreme sects believe everyone must agree with their literalist interpretation of the Bible or else they will go to hell.

It all comes from the same source of fear.

Last edited by Bluefly; 02-10-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

I am a Christian, and I disagree with that! As was mentioned already, Jesus himself said nothing about gays. Also stated previously, Jesus said "render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, and unto God that which is God's". In other words, he seemed to believe in the separation of church and state. There is no ban proposed for faith-based welfare. Some policies, already in place from previous Democratic and Republican administrations, do apply to those groups getting federal money. Prayer in the public schools? Many, many Christian mimisters and other Christians are in favor of separation of church and state, meaning no compulsory prayer in the schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
But . . . These are the things that the Constitution supports.

Maybe "good" Christians are just plain unpatriotic.
I am ready to scream at the people who don't have a clue about what Christianity is, what Christians believe, trying to interpret Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This post above is why a lot of liberals get very frustrated (not hate) certain sects of conservative Christianty (who have co-opted the name "Christian" to reflect their political ideology).
<snip>
This is because liberals tend to focus more on society at large while conservatives focus on individuality and family. Both are important. When you are tuned into the problems of the world, though, you begin to understand the actions of individuals as potentially damaging to the overall global society we find ourselves in (whether it be through race, ecological destruction, economic oppression, etc...). These issue affect us all, not just one family.
Conservative Christians have not co-opted the term Christian, any more than any other Christian religious group has. Non-Christians, particularly non-believers in any faith, have given the conservative Christians that moniker, and think that all Christians think alike. There are countless examples in these forums of non-Christians thinking they know exactly what all Christians think on political issues.

Re: the difference between liberals and conservatives stated above, in their personal lives, they are more the same than different. NIMBY is a popular refrain in many a liberal community, Boulder, Colorado being just one example.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:51 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
If you find one let me know. I would pay to see it.
They are around in multitudes,they just don't wear it like a badge and won't get in your face about it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Actually, there are at least 8-9 types of Jews... Reform (myself), Conservative, Orthodox, Chasidic, Conservadox, Modern Orthodox, Lubavitch, and one I'm blanking on right now.

And yes, there are secular Jews as well, although VERY few of them become Christians as far as I know - they generally just hang on to the cultural side of Judaism, while having more Atheist/Agnostic beliefs. I'm actually more of a secular Jew than a Reform, although I do occasionally go to Temple & observe the major holidays. But since you asked WHY do secular Jews exist, it's because Judaism is more of a culture than a religion for many. You can be Jewish without practicing the religious side, since we have developed into much more than a set of beliefs. While being Jewish isn't technically an ethnic group, it may as well be.
the day being muslim is an ethncity by the name of islam ill agree,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies