Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,824,103 times

Advertisements

looks like Republicans are showing how out of touch with everyone except their own. Gallup finds majorities of both Democrats and Independants favor even House Bill.

finds the largest segment of Democrats (37%) saying they would favor either plan, while the plurality of Republicans (38%) favor neither. Of the remaining Democrats, most favor only the larger plan, while among the remaining Republicans, most favor only the smaller plan.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Bottom Line
According to Gallup trends, the American public has been consistent in its reaction to the concept of a major economic stimulus package since the start of the new Congress in early January. A slight majority of Americans favor Congress passing such a plan, including most Democrats and about half of independents. Republicans have consistently opposed it, although they may be hardening in their opposition as the debate over spending versus tax cuts intensifies.
Public Support for Stimulus Package Unchanged at 52%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,584,520 times
I think the republicans are right on target.

When you hit up people who are uninformed about what is in the bill, sure most want "stimulated". However as people find out the garbage and payoff and special interests that is in the bill, they've been turning against it. I travel the country for work and have yet to meet someone in person that actually favors this bill. They can see and smell the pork and I think 2010 is going to be cleaning time in Congress.

I still keep asking exactly what in the bill "stimulates" the economy. In 1700 pages of tripe I can find little that actually is relevant to the economy.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,244,924 times
The so-called "special interests" that the Republicans are against are social service interests--like education. Hardly "pork." Throw in a few more perverse subsidies for the energy companies, and those bought-off, ass-kissing Republicans would sign it in a minute.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,289,012 times
As the economy worsens, and just about every economist agrees it will, the American people are going to remember that it was Republicans who fiddled & played politics while America burned. Come 2010 we're going to make sure everyone remembers Republican obstructionism.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,289,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
The so-called "special interests" that the Republicans are against are social service interests--like education. Hardly "pork." Throw in a few more perverse subsidies for the energy companies, and those bought-off, ass-kissing Republicans would sign it in a minute.
In order to get just two, yes just two, Republican votes in the Senate they cut $100 billion in direct spending. $16 billion for the construction of new schools cut, billions to update every Federal building in America with double pane windows more efficient lighting and other energy saving advances, $300 million for federal agencies to buy new American made fuel efficient cars to replace gas guzzlers, hundreds of millions for new coast guard ships. The list goes on and on.

I guess building cars and ships, or schools, or helping law enforcement update their communications equipment so that they can actually talk with 9/11 & hospitals & fire departments just doesn't create jobs. Republicans say so anyway.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,021,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
In order to get just two, yes just two, Republican votes in the Senate they cut $100 billion in direct spending. $16 billion for the construction of new schools cut, billions to update every Federal building in America with double pane windows more efficient lighting and other energy saving advances, $300 million for federal agencies to buy new American made fuel efficient cars to replace gas guzzlers, hundreds of millions for new coast guard ships. The list goes on and on.

I guess building cars and ships, or schools, or helping law enforcement update their communications equipment so that they can actually talk with 9/11 & hospitals & fire departments just doesn't create jobs. Republicans say so anyway.
Those things benefit strangers...probably poor strangers...not "me personally." Tax cuts, now you're talkin'!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the republicans are right on target.

When you hit up people who are uninformed about what is in the bill, sure most want "stimulated". However as people find out the garbage and payoff and special interests that is in the bill, they've been turning against it. I travel the country for work and have yet to meet someone in person that actually favors this bill. They can see and smell the pork and I think 2010 is going to be cleaning time in Congress.

I still keep asking exactly what in the bill "stimulates" the economy. In 1700 pages of tripe I can find little that actually is relevant to the economy.
Judging by your previous post I would categorize you in with their camp. Like I said Republicans out of touch with every one else(independants) most important factor in 2010 elections.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

Obama has to know historically undersized spending does not have desired effect. I expect him to get creative in order to boost the stimulus spending to needed levels.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,428,604 times
I'm basically libertarian and would like to scrap all this stimulus nonsense as well as all the bailouts.

But if the choice is between voting for spending on schools and health care and public works, or spending on imperialism and drug wars and prisons, to me that's really no choice at all.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 AM

38,603 posts, read 26,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
looks like Republicans are showing how out of touch with everyone except their own. Gallup finds majorities of both Democrats and Independants favor even House Bill.

finds the largest segment of Democrats (37%) saying they would favor either plan, while the plurality of Republicans (38%) favor neither. Of the remaining Democrats, most favor only the larger plan, while among the remaining Republicans, most favor only the smaller plan.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Bottom Line
According to Gallup trends, the American public has been consistent in its reaction to the concept of a major economic stimulus package since the start of the new Congress in early January. A slight majority of Americans favor Congress passing such a plan, including most Democrats and about half of independents. Republicans have consistently opposed it, although they may be hardening in their opposition as the debate over spending versus tax cuts intensifies.
Public Support for Stimulus Package Unchanged at 52%

Yeah, but they can see this one for what it really is, political payola! Public support for this bill drops every day. The Republicans are doing the Democrats a favor by even offering alternatives. Every day this thing is in the public arena, we find more wasteful, useless deficit exploding pork aimed at Democratic allies.

I see your boy's job approval has dropped by 14% in the past couple weeks. That is odd. Usually those numbers go up.

"Of the $140,000,000,000 slated for “infrastructure” only $30,000,000,000 goes to highways, roads and bridges. The rest goes for things like “green” retrofitting of existing buildings, light rail, paving over parklands, tearing up pavement and planting trees and dam removal. Oh yeah, and there’s that $2,250,000,000 slush fund for local friends of Barak."

"Nancy Pelosi thinks all this spending is a good idea “because every dollar in state aid creates $1.38 in economic activity.” She doesn’t mention that the same entity that gave one of her staffers this figure for her to parrot, the Congressional Budget Office, also says each dollar returned to the private sector via lower taxes produces over $3 in economic activity. Which leads us to…"

Stimulus Package - Pork and Payoffs - The Oregon Catalyst

"We have seen the House proven to be so out of touch with their own constituents by proposing a stimulus plan that is neither stimulating or job-creating in its proposed nature. It is nothing more than a collection of the last half-decade’s voted-down social restructuring measures. A recent Gallup poll shows that this current stimulus plan has only a 38 percent approval rating. We have also seen President Obama’s approval rating decline by 14 points in only two weeks. At this pace he’ll be below President Bush’s last approval rating in a matter of months and not years.'

"For President Obama to endorse the pork-laden, social-engineering agenda of this current stimulus plan shows that he is just as out of touch with America as the House representatives and proven himself to be nothing more than the far-left liberal that he truly is."

Guy Pacot: Obama already failing | SummitDaily.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies