Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,665,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Guys look at the business forum for some good evaluations of the stimulus bill.

I will voting no for the stimulus bill because I don't see how tax rebates to people that payed no tax, increasing the size of government, or increasing food stamps or unemployment programs will help. And lets face it, it has billion of dollars in pork projects in this. I am also concerned in that government projects, once they start, they never end. Who needs 600,000 more government beurocrats?
I don't object to spending during a economic crises, but these appear to be permanent.
I don't object to aid packages, within reason, but don't fool anyone that increasing aid and entitlements will stimulate the economy. The opposite usually occurs. It they want, call it the real thing - "an aid bill", not a stimuls bill.
I object to the elements that increase the size of government, to the income redistrubution aspects, and to some of the targets of this stimulus (as someone said, to areas of the economy that don't need stimulating).
I object to the artificial creation of government jobs - a government cannot create self-sustaining jobs. It's a simple and true statement.
I like some of the aspects - into energy related areas that substitue oil dependency. But I would prefer that to be in terms of tax incentives to encourage results rather than just outright handouts.

My ideas are more in line with the republican plan - tax rate cuts to corporate and individual taxes. This would return money into the hands of the people that actually create wealth. It's also fair.

Look guys. Stimulus or not, we have to ride out the economic crises. Nothing will help in the short terms, at least until mid 2010. Obama's plan will not help at all and will probably extend the crisis, republican plans will help but results will probably not be seen for a few years.
Obama just stated "nobody is asking for a hand out, everybody wants to work" .....I guess the group that wants the hand out doesn't wacth tv...they have their hands out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 AM

425 posts, read 664,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Vote No on the Economic Stimulus (http://www.countryfirstpac.com/petition/economic.aspx - broken link)
Vote 'No" on stimulus package and sign the petition
Voted "NO"

Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,837,095 times
Quote:
Obama just stated "nobody is asking for a hand out, everybody wants to work" .....I guess the group that wants the hand out doesn't wacth tv...they have their hands out....
I am watching it on TV right now. I liked one guys question which was almost verbatime "I'm poor, just send me a check to my house". Nothing about earning it, nothing about getting a job, just "send a check to my house".
And Obama's answer "yes we try to give money to the poor because they spend it, the rich just put it away and stuff". My God, does this guy even understand the basics of economics? Does he think rich people put it under their matress? Spending and investments (via savings) is two sides of the same coin. But last I checked, a poor man never hired anyone else to work.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,124,830 times
Quote:
I am watching it on TV right now. I liked one guys question which was almost verbatime "I'm poor, just send me a check to my house". Nothing about earning it, nothing about getting a job, just "send a check to my house".
And Obama's answer "yes we try to give money to the poor because they spend it, the rich just put it away and stuff". My God, does this guy even understand the basics of economics? Does he think rich people put it under their matress? Spending and investments (via savings) is two sides of the same coin. But last I checked, a poor man never hired anyone else to work.
Yes, poor people have hired others to work, it's called starting a business. It's called having just enough to buy something...a product or service that, in turn, gives a job and money to someone else(it's almost like hiring them) then that person has money to buy goods or services which gives money to someone else.
Handing someone enough money to meet their mortgage AND buy groceries keeps people in their homes...foreclosures help NO one but the banks.

IF rich people didn't put it under their mattresses(invest) then

WHERE are all the jobs?

The WEALTHY got handouts....why don't you think the poor and jobless shouldn't get handouts?????????????????????????????????????????? ????

Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 AM

419 posts, read 602,151 times
Recently bought a truck and guess what I actually make the payments for it. If the day comes that I cant make the payment for it. I dont think its the gov or anyone elses place to make my payments for me

What a concept I agree to pay for something I am the one actually paying for it

Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,296,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Vote yes on the package. One mans pork is another man's paycheck.
Especially if one is a hog farmer.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,665,472 times
Quote:
I heard it too...Obama probable didn't have a maid who cleaned the house, or a nanny, a person mowing his lawn or maintaining it...Obama and his wife took care of everything them self.....he probable never saw the person in thestreet with the sign "need money for food" (free hand out)....no Obama has answers to all questions...in words, not in solutions!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,057,700 times
Quote:
Vote No on the Economic Stimulus (http://www.countryfirstpac.com/petition/economic.aspx - broken link)

click on the link if you against the stimulus waste package and sign the petition....don't start complaining later while you still can take some action today...maybe it will help.
Over 100.000 people already have signed it!

If you think it'll actually matter what the people think you must be on some serious medications. The politicians just don't give rip what the people want regarding this issue. The dems are frustrated over not being in control for the last 8 years that they're going to go nuts.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,900,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
When wages fall adequately to employ these individuals.

Who? Plenty of companies with spare cash on their balance sheet, waiting for the right opportunity to spend it when the above happens.

But, if you prefer to "bet the farm" and mortgage our debt for several generations on the hope that stimulus will actually work, by all means...
Ahh, the vaunted "cross our fingers" technique.
I prefer guaranteed job creation.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,352,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
It is said that republicans plan would create more jobs, With less money, faster then the democrats plan.

the formulas used by President Obama’s economic advisers to the Republican stimulus plan.
Who was it said by? I'd love to read up on that if you could provide a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies