Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why are there so many threads and posts blaming one party or another ?
Go take a look at who voted YES for the bailout and this stimulus package.

I see both parties there with YES votes. Wake up folks..neither Republicans nor Democrats are for "Joe Mainstreet" anymore..they represent the CEO's and the banksters. If you don't believe me read the bills and see what group benefits the most from all of our tax money.

I am neither Democrat nor Republican anymore..the two parties are run by big business..just look at who the big contributors are to our various representatives.

We have gone through decades of alternating power and each new power (dem or repub) has continued and furthered the agendas of big business from Clinton to Obama today.

I don't see how anyone can blame one party or the other for all our troubles..they are both guilty of not representing the PEOPLE that elected them to office.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well, you would think so but let's see if anyone can come up with ONE piece of legislation that Republicans originated that was meant to help or aid middle class Americans...
Well..............................?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM

30 posts, read 53,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Who signed the repeal of Glass-Steagal Act? (Hint: His initails are WJC....)

While the national debt increased to $10t, it was $5t in 2000. Nothing to be proud of, but you are exagerating.

Senate dems voted 29-21 FOR the war, including the current VP & SecState. If you think it was the wrong decision, do you support promoting leaders who make mistakes?

You're right about KBR & Haliburton. But since Ben & Jerry's does'nt provide logistical & security services in overseas combat zones and these companies do, the decision just kind of made itself.

Barney Frank, Chris Dolt & the Congressional Black caucus all shut down attempts to regulate Fannie & Freddie in Congress. What party are they from again?

There is PLENTY of blame to go around to all sides for the mess we are in today. Stop falling for the left-right finger pointing, its just a bread & circuses distraction from the political classes failures and corruption.
Sure Clinton signed the repeal, If President Bill Clinton had vetoed It, Republicans had the votes back in Congress then for an override, So big deal, It didn't matter If He signed It or not, It was going to pass. Rich repubs like making money by ruining others, They really don't care as their too self centered.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,662 times
I found this article interesting about Republicans. It might clear up a few things for some here.

The History of RINO’s

Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But democrats do care by tripling the defivit in just ome year. Raising the debt limit 5 times since they tool conmtrol of congress almost thre yera ago;in dec and how last month. Look at their healthcare bill; totally fiancned on someone else;they had every part of it paid for by someone else. Partof it was by majic sheelll game called savings in such things as waste;fraud and abuse in medicare. Well do you see anyone saying lets do that anyway.Save that money. Why because they don't have a clue how to save 400 Billion in medicare.The there is the electronic records saving that will save billons they say;have they proposed do that now. No. Do the savings then come back and show me. Because all these savings have been in bills before and guess what they never happen.The democrats say show us your ideas but then the white house today annouced that the new proposal will be published on line before they even meet with republicans. I would say that someone who wants someone else to pay for their sercies is greedy and slefish. Propoase a tax for everyone;including making free benefits taxable as incoe like it is for thsoe who buy their own;and I might thik its other than something for nothing ;selfish;greedy thinking.I don;'t ask anyone to pay for my insurance ;so how is that selfish.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But democrats do care by tripling the deficit in just one year. Raising the debt limit 5 times since they took control of congress almost three years ago;in DEC and how last month. Look at their health care bill, totally financed on someone else, they had every part of it paid for by someone else. Part of it was by magic shell game called savings in such things as waste, fraud and abuse in medicare. Well do you see anyone saying lets do that anyway. Save that money. Why? because they don't have a clue how to save 400 Billion in medicare. There is the electronic records saving that will save billions they say, have they proposed <to> do that? No. Do the savings then come back and show me. Because all these savings have been in bills before and guess what they never happen. The democrats say show us your ideas but then the white house today announced that the new proposal will be published on line before they even meet with republicans. I would say that someone who wants someone else to pay for their services is greedy and selfish. Propose a tax for everyone, including making free benefits taxable as income like it is for those who buy their own, and I might think its other than something for nothing, selfish greedy thinking. I don't ask anyone to pay for my insurance, so how is that selfish.
Lets see the Repubs make the Deficit and no one complains, A Democrat makes It bigger guess who complaints? He does nothing and more complaints, He makes It smaller same thing, Complaints. As to taxing benefits, There are people who are Seniors, Blind and the Disabled, Their small fry, taxing them is worthless as they only just scrape by, If You want to tax Your Grandmother or Mother, Go right ahead, Instead Tax the rich by cutting the insane Bush tax cuts and raise the income tax on the wealthiest to 45% instead of the current 35%(Under Clinton It was 39.6% until bush came along), Plus raise the Corporate tax by 5%.

Are Republicans Risking Economic Collapse to Maintain Control?

In one notable bill in Congress recently, Repubs contributed lots of good ideas, Only to withdraw said support when It came time to vote, they voted the party line like a bunch of party hacks, Loyalty first to the Party and only the Party, The Country and Its People who elected them blindly dead last. So repubs can't be counted on as all they want is control and to kill whatever they hate and don't want to pay for, If the Repubs got power back would the deficit go down? No I doubt It, Not if they blindly cut taxes when everyone else objects.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But Obama does not say the economy is going to collapse if he does spend more moeny. He also didn't spend the stimulsus to save the economy how its clear or even saving housing witht eh second half of TARP like promised. Bascailly the big threat to the economy is spending like greece has done on borrowed money. By what you say Obamna has done nothign to stablise the econmy;which I agree Bush did before he took office.. He has wasted the second half of TARP he was left to spend and 758 billion besides in stimulus.If yuou thnik that democrats who spent the stimulus on pork for specail interest and not on infrastruture and keeping jobs and are woriied about youy ;then look at the cut Reid made in the jobs bill;cutting unemployemnt extention and Cobra insurance for the unemployed.The last eyars of Bush the deficit was cut three years in a row. One year under Obama it went up triple in one year and since democrats have conrolled congress for almost three years the debt limit has gone up five times to support their spending. The last time in Dec and then in January.That si trip-e what Bush raised it to in eight years. Does this sound like they are getting serious about deficit reduction as obama has said?Sounds to me like his 250 billion in ten years of cuts is after they spend Billions in the near furtre. Why else raise the debt ceiling again twice in two months and make the feezes start next October.Shell games.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But Obama does not say the economy is going to collapse if he does spend more money. He also didn't spend the stimulus to save the economy how its clear or even saving housing with the second half of TARP like promised. Basically the big threat to the economy is spending like Greece has done on borrowed money. By what you say Obama has done nothing to stabilize the economy, which I agree Bush did before he took office.. He has wasted the second half of TARP he was left to spend and 758 billion besides in stimulus.If you think that democrats who spent the stimulus on pork for special interest and not on infrastructure and keeping jobs and are worried about you, then look at the cut Reid made in the jobs bill cutting unemployment extension and Cobra insurance for the unemployed.The last years of Bush the deficit was cut three years in a row. One year under Obama it went up triple in one year and since democrats have controlled congress for almost three years the debt limit has gone up five times to support their spending. The last time in Dec and then in January.That is triple what Bush raised it to in eight years. Does this sound like they are getting serious about deficit reduction as Obama has said? Sounds to me like his 250 billion in ten years of cuts is after they spend Billions in the near future. Why else raise the debt ceiling again twice in two months and make the freezes start next October.Shell games.
Lets see, There is the saying that Rome wasn't built in a day, So there is no quick fix, If that's what You want then I have news for Ya, Spending is normal, tax cuts might normally help, So far their not as the Bush cuts aren't helping You are they? We have a crippled economy left by Bush, Would You rather nothing was done? People are out of work, The States need money to help prevent more layoffs which will hurt the economy more as those employees(those people who have families) have those around them that are dependent on their money and so those businesses would have to lay off their employees, This game of brinkmanship must end. The Japanese had a bad recession a few years back and spent money in at least two stimulus packages and came out of It, We can and should do no less. If Ya want spending cuts, Cut expensive military spending on new toys, like an Aircraft Carrier or new expensive technology or do like was done in WWII sell War Bonds to help the economy. Give the Ground forces what they need to resist IED bombs in Afghanistan(High Ground Clearance vehicles), But no new spending on expensive toys, Cut them and renegotiate expensive contracts or kill their associated programs. Provide a New Stimulus as It's not a waste, A waste is if more people go unemployed, Near where I live they now have 40% unemployment and the Government won't even count those who have given up and are doing something else. We need a massive works project just like FDR did, what type? HSR and that includes Maglev where appropriate as HSR can be costly when It has to tunnel, Maglev can follow a Freeway through a Mountain Pass, HSR can't It needs Tunnels in Steep terrain. Build more Nuclear power plants(whether by private enterprise or by the Government if needed) to remove as much foreign oil from our shores as possible like the French have done(the French get 80% of their power from Nuclear power, We I think get maybe 20%, if that), Get contracts to build those power plants using the best technology possible and have local power companies who have the expertise run them and let those power companies lease those Nuclear power plants from the US Government Department of Energy. Oh and about the spent nuclear fuel? Reprocess them into more fuel until the fuel becomes lead, It's called recycling after all.

Last edited by SJ49; 02-14-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Isn't it ironic - for the past 8 years the Republicans didn't see a spending bill they didn't like, they more than doubled the national debt in 8 short years...
Hate to burst your bubble there mrbob, but Congress has had a Dem majority since 2007 so for 3 of those 8 years the Dems were in charge.
And when did the economy start tanking ?

What say you now ?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hate to burst your bubble there mrbob, but Congress has had a Dem majority since 2007 so for 3 of those 8 years the Dems were in charge.
And when did the economy start tanking ?

What say you now ?
Sure Dems were in charge of Congress from 2007 onwards, But what about the Veto threat?

Bush makes more veto threats in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today
Some conservatives have questioned Bush's commitment to fiscal discipline, noting — as the Heritage Foundation did in a March report — that federal spending increased 23% after inflation from 2001 to 2006. Bush did not veto any appropriations bills passed by Republican Congresses, which included hikes for defense, homeland security, entitlements, education and thousands of special-interest items called earmarks that are tacked onto spending bills at lawmakers' requests.
See more of the above Quote I made in the USA Today link below. Bush spent more just as Obama is now having to do, Just to try and fix the economy, Which I gather since He's Black some want to see Him fail to do. Repubs give support here and there and then withdraw It when It comes time to vote, That used to be called taking back ones gift(to give something of value and then to take back that something of value. Note: I don't know what It's called today and I'm not a racist nor do I want to be offensive either, But then Native Americans don't claim to be Indians and I decided not to use the phrase starting with the letter: I).

Bush makes more veto threats in 2007 - USATODAY.com

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...5-vetoes_N.htm

Last edited by SJ49; 02-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: added a link on Bush Vetoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies