Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What part of demand do you people not understand? You can hire a million new workers, but what are they going to do? There's no shortage of inventory, quite the opposite, products are sitting on the shelf for lack of DEMAND!

The problem in a deflationary cycle isn't a lack of products, it is the lack of demand. The stimulus isn't about just providing jobs, it is about providing demand for consumption, buy building materials, equipment to produce products, road and infrastructure repairs which don't currently exist, get it?
the funny thing is, there is always work to be done. Just free market propagandists fight getting people to do it.

Theres plenty we could be better prepared for (larger, more abundant wildland fire crews, forest restoration. Growing of crops, updating/improving buildings. Recycling all of our waste. The list goes on.

Why we can't have people working to make our country even better is beyond me, but I guess that would let people at the bottom make some money and that must not sit well with those at the top.

There's no shortage of work to be done, perhaps if we could get away from a consumer economy that could be understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What part of demand do you people not understand? You can hire a million new workers, but what are they going to do? There's no shortage of inventory, quite the opposite, products are sitting on the shelf for lack of DEMAND!

The problem in a deflationary cycle isn't a lack of products, it is the lack of demand. The stimulus isn't about just providing jobs, it is about providing demand for consumption, buy building materials, equipment to produce products, road and infrastructure repairs which don't currently exist, get it?
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but if there is lack of demand that is because there are millions out of work or not making enough to buy like they used to. Also all these infrastructure repairs that are supposed to help get people back to work, they usually don't pay enough to do much more than exist.

If everybody that has no job would do what I have done they could just wait this out and let the economy correct it self. I have not worked since August 2006, and wife makes 971.00 a month. We have learned to do without everything and it really is not that bad. We lost our trucking business due to larger company going out of buisness that we were contracted with. So went from riches to rags.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
the funny thing is, there is always work to be done. Just free market propagandists fight getting people to do it.

There's no shortage of work to be done, perhaps if we could get away from a consumer economy that could be understood.
High speed rail in the Northeast corridor!

Let the private sector do it, so we don't have high speed rail.

High bandwidth internet access, maybe fast enough be a top 10 nation.

Let the private sector do it, so we don;t have high speed internet access.

We have 3000 bridges that are marginal.

Let the private sector do it, so we still have 3000 marginal bridges.

Needless to say I could go on for hours.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but if there is lack of demand that is because there are millions out of work or not making enough to buy like they used to. Also all these infrastructure repairs that are supposed to help get people back to work, they usually don't pay enough to do much more than exist.
First of all, there are provisions for pay in the package. But more importantly, infrastructure development will involve everybody, from lowest level worker to engineers and architects, and artists, and businesses.

Quote:
If everybody that has no job would do what I have done they could just wait this out and let the economy correct it self. I have not worked since August 2006, and wife makes 971.00 a month. We have learned to do without everything and it really is not that bad. We lost our trucking business due to larger company going out of buisness that we were contracted with. So went from riches to rags.
I'm sorry to hear that, but what do you mean by economy correcting itself? What would it take for it in an era of global economy? What if it meant that one also lost the last source of income in the process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies