Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,801,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Are you going to tell us next that you are descended from Pocohantas?

I suggest you live a few more years before you start telling other people what they can or cannot call themselves.

Why , yes, I am !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,692,270 times
Native American, African American, Italian American, Asian American......

Let's pretend that we are on a trip to Mexico, or South Africa, or any other backwoods Country. Somehow we managed to get in trouble and we are now running through the streets for our lives. The only things standing between us and safety are two Marine guards, and a steel gate at the American Embassy. As you run up yelling to open the gate, are you going to say "I'm African American, or Native American, or Asian American"? Hell no!!!

I'm going to be yelling, "I'M AN AMERICAN. OPEN THE DAMN GATE"!!!!! That's what we all need to remember. We are all Americans with different Ancestry, but in the end we are just plain Americans. (Except Skoe. She's Canadian.)

Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,652,178 times
^ ^ ^
Good posting! I'd rep you but I'm out of rep for today.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM

44 posts, read 111,127 times
How about this radical thought? Instead of arguing over lower case "n" natives or upper case "N" Natives, why don't we start learning the names of the known tribes of North America? Tsalangi/Cherokee, Hopi, Choctaw, etc.? And while we're at it, how about adding the groups of people from South America?

I would love to learn where everyone came from and I'd love to share what I know about my European ancestry (and how my family got here). I think other people would like to learn and share about their own families, too. And I think it would actually be good for us as a people (human people, not native/non-native people) to share and learn with each other.

But, oh, that would take a little effort, wouldn't it? Anyone up for it?

Last edited by beeswax; 08-27-2007 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Incorrect spelling. oops!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,637,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
^ ^ ^
Good posting! I'd rep you but I'm out of rep for today.
I agree with you and took care of the rep thingy for both of us

Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
the correct term for a "native american" is neither, "native america", "american indian", "aboriginal" or "indian." Just like any other group, it solely depends on that particular group of ppl, not the continent they are on. Obviously there's chinese ppl, cantanese, hispanic, lebanese and so on. The name of a "native american" is correctly defined by the name of the tribe. Whether they're Delawares, Iroquois, Seneca, Cayuga, Mohawk, Algonqui, or like my background kainai, which is the blood tribe. To not offend a native american you can ask them what they prefer, or a term that has replaced the "indian band", calling us first nations which has been more acceptable by ppl. But even that can be vague. I personally like being called kainai, or i personally like to call everyone human cause thats what most of the names actually mean, whether the name translates as "land dwellers" or "land walkers" it all means the human race.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,639,758 times
It is just another label, a name, though I do prefer the Canadian "First Nations". It makes a much more salient point IMO.

Why were First Nation ever called "Indians" ? What a ridiculous name. As Columbus thought he might have reached India OR China they could habe been called Chinese... Somehow there is something vaguely ridiculous about Geronimo being called Chinese and to me Indian is just as silly.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,652,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
It doesn't make sense, and its an insult to those born in this country.

Anyone born in the United States is a "native American"

The proper term for Indians in the US, is "American Indian".

And I'm 1/8th American Indian. When someone says "native American" it drives me nuts!
Because they're natives of America and aren't Indian. I don't see what there is to be driven nuts by.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 AM

751 posts, read 1,674,696 times
Quote:
It doesn't make sense, and its an insult to those born in this country.

Anyone born in the United States is a "native American"

The proper term for Indians in the US, is "American Indian".

And I'm 1/8th American Indian. When someone says "native American" it drives me nuts!

Native American,First Nations & Indigenous people.They all refer to the same people.Some native people have a perference for one term or the other,but none of them is offenseive.Most native americans indentify themselves by their tribe anyway (like Cherokee).

I'm Ottawa & Chippewa and don't meaure myself as the white man did as far as blood quantum anyway back when my native ancestry first came down from Canada.

I see myself as 100% of all my ancestors not like a measure line within some silly measuring cup.How does someone measure 1/2,1/4,1/8 and so on anyways?? What did they do way back then tilt my native ancestors sideways and poor some of their blood into a measureing cup.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Quote:
Why , yes, I am !
Gosh i wish City Data would allow Vasinger to come back as we need a laugh on here. He was like the modern day version of Mr Rogers .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies