Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Advertisements

Some people say "First Peoples." I think the term "Native American" was intended to indicate that they were the first people living on American soil - so they were the first natives of America . . . Since genocide was committed on them and everything was taken from them, it is just a matter of respect to honor them somehow.

I am not sure why there has never been a movement on their part to bring awareness to their plight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
And from your name...I thought you were a girl from Thailand who now lives in Georgia.
I would love to live in Georgia, USA

Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
[color=DarkOrchid][b]I think the term "Native American" was intended to indicate that they were the first people living on American soil
But they weren't, and that's what makes the name so ridiculous. They were native to this land *before* it was called America. If anything, they're actually pre-Americans! The first people living on American soil were those who founded the United States of America -- the Founding Fathers. And as it's been pointed out in this thread, anyone born in America is a native American, whether your skin is red, black, or white. Just like white girl Charlize Theron is an African American (born in South Africa, now an American citizen) -- that's another whole story entirely, but it gets to the heart of why these PC terms are so idiotic and meaningless. Like how "Asian" apparently now means someone from China or Japan, even though an Asian could be someone from China, Russia, India, or the Middle East.

"Native American" was not a moniker chosen by the tribal people. It was foisted upon them by the PC crowd -- actually invented by the U.S. government. Why is it not offensive to people to use a term not of their own choosing? Not to mention, what do you then call indigenous/tribal people from other countries?

BTW, I have both Cherokee and Blackfoot ancestry. I've never had a problem with the term "Indian" or "American Indian." Yes, it's historically and geographically inaccurate, but the Indians I've known have absolutely no problem with the term. It's unambiguous, and everyone knows what it means. One guy I knew said he liked to call himself an Indian because it reminded him of how lost and stupid that paleface Columbus was.

Russell Means has an interesting theory that Indian actually comes from the Spanish "en Dios," meaning the Indians were "people of God." Probably not true, but that's a good example of taking a misnomer and claiming it as your own.

That said, Canada's solution, "First Nations," is sensible, easily understandable, and respectable.

Last edited by Adrian71; 10-24-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 834 times
Indians is what idiots call them because they still think this is India even after 500 years. The Natives have type O blood ONLY; no traces of A or B. With the exception of Cherokees because they migrated with Vikings before Columbus ever existed!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
NDN : indigenous North American.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
tho i wear a shirt and tie, im still half red man deep inside....
"Indian Reservation," by the Raiders from 1971, correct?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
It doesn't make sense, and its an insult to those born in this country.

Anyone born in the United States is a "native American"

The proper term for Indians in the US, is "American Indian".

And I'm 1/8th American Indian. When someone says "native American" it drives me nuts!
Yes, I think the word "native" is stupidly redundant.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Well first off...

Most people that are born in America just call themselves Americans. Not Native Americans.

Because when you put the term "Native" on it, it refers to the indigenous peoples of America. Which is the Native American Indians.
Indigeon.

Like, Aborigine.

Last edited by Nonarchist; 04-26-2013 at 01:21 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Actually, your repsonse makes no sense. Indians are Indians because they are indigenous people. Why would you call an Austrailian a Russian anyway- unless they were from Russia. Its apples and organges comparison.

I was born in the USA- and I am a native american!
Native Born American, maybe.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 AM

580 posts, read 964,919 times
I call them Native Americans because they are originally (as in they are indigenous to the country) from North America. I call people who come from India Indians because they came from India. It's a way to differentiate between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
We have Italian Americans and African Americans, what if someone is from India and they also become an American?

I believe we call them Native Americans because they did not come from India.
Our original explorers either weren't very smart or creative with ethnic names.
Either that or maybe they thought the found India.

That being said, I'm not offended by either name and have met Natives who are also indifferent.
Columbus thought that, by traveling west, he'd be able to make it to where the rich spice countries were in a lot less time than by over land. He just didn't expect there to be this huge continent in the way. It's kind of elementary school history with this.

Europeans called the people from North and South America along with the the peoples living in the Caribbean Indians because the early explorers of the area thought they landed in some part of the East Indies (India, the Spice Islands and all those places). They called the natives here Indians and the name pretty much stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies