Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In our area, the labs do keep this stuff online, so if the pt. is going to a local doc, s/he can always look it up. For all you privacy freaks out there, you do need a password to access the system(s).
Everything takes a password. But how many times do systems just get hacked? And a central repository of medical records can be of great use to many people. Its a target waiting to be smashed open by a challenged hacker.

Do you really think that a large online database is ever going to be secure enough from the ever inventive hackers out there and do you really believe that its only privacy "freaks" that believe in retaining what we have?

You let your records be stored for eternity. Just let me opt out so mine can't be compromized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,868 times
The opinion piece goes on to scare you about "meaningful use" in regard to Medicare, implying that it means patient care/treatment. The bill is talking about meaningful use of the infrastructure, and provides incentives to doctors for accepting Medicare and adopting the infrastructure system. TITLE IV--HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, Sec. 4001. Subtitle A -- Medicare Program, SEC. 4201. INCENTIVES FOR ELIGIBLE PROFESSIONALS.

Either the reader doesn't have the comprehension and training to read legislation or she's being purposely deceptive. The sky is not falling.

In part:
Quote:
SEC. 4201. INCENTIVES FOR ELIGIBLE PROFESSIONALS.

• (a) Incentive Payments- Section 1848 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395w-4) is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:
  • `(o) Incentives for Adoption and Meaningful Use of Certified EHR Technology-
    • `(1) INCENTIVE PAYMENTS-
      • `(A) IN GENERAL-
        • `(i) IN GENERAL- Subject to clause (ii) and the succeeding subparagraphs of this paragraph, with respect to covered professional services furnished by an eligible professional during a payment year (as defined in subparagraph (E)), if the eligible professional is a meaningful EHR user (as determined under paragraph (2)) for the reporting period with respect to such year, in addition to the amount otherwise paid under this part, there also shall be paid to the eligible professional (or to an employer or facility in the cases described in clause (A) of section 1842(b)(6)), from the Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Fund established under section 1841 an amount equal to 75 percent of the Secretary's estimate (based on claims submitted not later than 2 months after the end of the payment year) of the allowed charges under this part for all such covered professional services furnished by the eligible professional during such year.
And paragraph 2. referred to above:

Quote:
    • `(2) MEANINGFUL EHR USER-
      • `(A) IN GENERAL- For purposes of paragraph (1), an eligible professional shall be treated as a meaningful EHR user for a reporting period for a payment year (or, for purposes of subsection (a)(7), for a reporting period under such subsection for a year) if each of the following requirements is met:
        • `(i) MEANINGFUL USE OF CERTIFIED EHR TECHNOLOGY- The eligible professional demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Secretary, in accordance with subparagraph (C)(i), that during such period the professional is using certified EHR technology in a meaningful manner, which shall include the use of electronic prescribing as determined to be appropriate by the Secretary.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
The opinion piece goes on to scare you about "meaningful use" in regard to Medicare, implying that it means patient care/treatment. The bill is talking about meaningful use of the infrastructure, and provides incentives to doctors for accepting Medicare and adopting the infrastructure system. TITLE IV--HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, Sec. 4001. Subtitle A -- Medicare Program, SEC. 4201. INCENTIVES FOR ELIGIBLE PROFESSIONALS.

Either the reader doesn't have the comprehension and training to read legislation or she's being purposely deceptive. The sky is not falling.

In part:

And paragraph 2. referred to above:
You have to slow down hgcCali, I cant rep you for awhile! Thanks for both of these excellent, valuable posts.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Everything takes a password. But how many times do systems just get hacked? And a central repository of medical records can be of great use to many people. Its a target waiting to be smashed open by a challenged hacker.

Do you really think that a large online database is ever going to be secure enough from the ever inventive hackers out there and do you really believe that its only privacy "freaks" that believe in retaining what we have?

You let your records be stored for eternity. Just let me opt out so mine can't be compromized.
It's going to be a protected government database, not a website on the Internet.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:35 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTruth View Post
Anyone who defends Obama's belief that "It's the duty of an older person to suffer" is brainwashed and flat out evil. It's right there in the bill - read it!
Hmmmm....why should I believe you when you said this?

"I made all this stuff up and hope you are gullible enough to trust undocumented sources like I am" - Seektruth

Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Note that it will also take all the control you and me have over medical records. Now this needs to be challenged in court by the ACLU (who has been fighting it) and an opt out for patients must be in place. In fact if the aclu has a lawsuit in mind I have some extra cash around to donate to help them out.

I am appauled at this, and wonder how many people will avoid the doctor to presereve a little of their privacy.
Your records are not especially protected now. You sign a statement at your dr's office that they can release your records to your insurance company. In fact, this legislation may make them more secure.

Quote:

No, I am not dumb or unintelligent enough to think that a large database will never be hacked. One hears stories on the news all the time to the contrary. However, this will be a secure database, making it that much harder, and even some of the authorized users won't be able to get to everything on it. I participate in one such database now. I have special privilideges as an "administrator", and by virtue of having attended some classes. But you can't even get into it doing a google search (I've tried). Medical records are not stored "forever" now. Generally seven years is all that is necessary. BTW, at the office where I work, all someone would have to do to "hack" into our records is break in the door. The paper records are all there in files.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
Quote:
I believe it's page 400 of the Stimulus bill.

It was 1600 pages but much more has been added. You can get parts of it off of Google, I believe Fox off the internet has parts. I know, everybody hates Fox!!!

By the way talking about hacking. I know where my husband works which is part of the federal government was hacked last month by someone in Turkey. Can't be that hard to hack our medical records. I wonder if I should cancel the doctor I am with an stop taking the prescribed medications so I will not have too much of a problem when I am 65 and apply for medicare. Maybe, before everything is recorded they will not find my records.
Don't you fill like Big Brother is looking down on you?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,868 times
Quote:
Note that it will also take all the control you and me have over medical records. Now this needs to be challenged in court by the ACLU (who has been fighting it) and an opt out for patients must be in place. In fact if the aclu has a lawsuit in mind I have some extra cash around to donate to help them out.

I am appauled at this, and wonder how many people will avoid the doctor to presereve a little of their privacy.
Ok, I checked the ACLU. Once again you were misled. From their 1/27/09 press release on the Health IT Implementation, they were pleased the privacy issue was being addressed as the bill was being written. They have not commented since.
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WASHINGTON – Today, just an hour before the Senate Finance Committee meets to consider the economic stimulus package, the Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing titled “Health IT: Protecting Americans’ Privacy in the Digital Age.” .....

The American Civil Liberties Union applauds the Judiciary Committee for bringing this crucial topic up for discussion ....

As the federal government has been debating an upcoming stimulus package, health IT systems have often been mentioned as a possible recipient of funding. Late last week, the House introduced a stimulus package that contained both funding for health IT implementation, but also strong safeguards against the abuse and sale of personal medical records.
I don't want to end up reprinting the whole bill to address each fear you manufacture, but a quick check through the "edit - find" function turns up 5 section titles on privacy under the Health IT section, each with multiple subsections to cover the topic thoroughly. Feel free to read the facts:

SEC. 3009. RELATION TO HIPAA PRIVACY AND SECURITY LAW.

SEC. 3018. AUTHORIZATION FOR APPROPRIATIONS. Subtitle D--Privacy

PART I--IMPROVED PRIVACY PROVISIONS AND SECURITY PROVISIONS

SEC. 13403. EDUCATION ON HEALTH INFORMATION PRIVACY.

SEC. 13404. APPLICATION OF PRIVACY PROVISIONS AND PENALTIES TO BUSINESS ASSOCIATES OF COVERED ENTITIES.

But please use the official source for the most current updated version: THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Click on: HR1: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
Then on: Text of Legislation
Then on: 5 . American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Amendment in Senate)[H.R.1.AS2]

Katiana is correct. Federal law requires medical records be kept for seven years.

Last edited by hcgCali; 02-10-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
“Daschle says health-care reform “will not be pain free.” Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them.”
Does this include his ILLEGAL Aunt collecting welfare?????

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
What H.R.1.EH actually said....

----------

SEC. 4301. GRANT, LOAN, AND DEMONSTRATION PROGRAMS.

Title XXX of the Public Health Service Act, as added by section 4101, is amended by adding at the end the following new subtitle:

Subtitle B--Incentives for the Use of Health Information Technology

SEC. 3011. IMMEDIATE FUNDING TO STRENGTHEN THE HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE.

----------

Notice anything different? The actual text of legislation can be pulled from the Library of Congress. Select Bill Number, type in HR.1, click Search, click Text of Legislation, click on H.R.1.EH. Section 4301 is about 85% of the way down the page, click it and there's the real text, not the version invented by some jerk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies