Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
semantics

Hardly.

Speeches and press conferences are different events. They're not interchangable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Whats wrong with mentioning the fact that Obama has inherited this mess, he speaks the truth. During his campaign he has mentioned transparencies in his administration.

Truth hurts?
Of course it's the truth. Let those who live in denial wallow in it. It's not going to make a bit of difference. The majority backs him, and the Repubs look very bad not backing him.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
The OP brought up some good points about Obama's speech. While I am in the camp that thinks Obama was the best hope to get us out of this mess, I don't think he is perfect...nor do I think that ANYONE else has any better ideas. We are in for a painful time ahead. I think the new administration will be better by FAR than the old. Even if only because Obama does stress that HE WILL LISTEN before he acts. That alone makes me feel better about our chances of becoming a strong and HONORABLE nation again.
The OP sounds like someone who gave a fair and (in his opinion) honest account of what he heard. Even if I disagree.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
The OP brought up some good points about Obama's speech. While I am in the camp that thinks Obama was the best hope to get us out of this mess, I don't think he is perfect...nor do I think that ANYONE else has any better ideas. We are in for a painful time ahead. I think the new administration will be better by FAR than the old. Even if only because Obama does stress that HE WILL LISTEN before he acts. That alone makes me feel better about our chances of becoming a strong and HONORABLE nation again.
The OP sounds like someone who gave a fair and (in his opinion) honest account of what he heard. Even if I disagree.
What the OP heard was only what he wanted to hear. Anyone who dislikes Obama is going to pick and turn it around. Forget that. He's going to get what he wants and what is needed for American citizens.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
I am hoping that the Stimulus Package is just a stalling tactic to provide time to enact REAL CHANGE.

YouTube - Tell 300 million Friends! MOST POPULAR VIDEO! Save the Union! Solution to Financial Crisis, by Thomas Jefferson: "The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ml#post7196175

Otherwise, the world is going to get very ugly and we'll have to begin selling off our virgins.

//www.city-data.com/forum/michi...ml#post6993102

Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I would love to see Obama or any of his supporters ever answer 1 question without speaking of Bush. I have a feeling it cant be done. Their whole campaign was "we're not Bush". His answers last night were "we inherited this problem" or "failed poilicies of the last administration".
How can it be done if you do not ackowledge that Obama has been left a pile of turd? You are waliknig aroung in denial of what has been done to this country for the past eight years. No hindsight or foresight makes for a very ignorant bunch. As I stated in another post, you cannot sweep manure under the rug, It will stink until it is dealt with.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Hardly.

Speeches and press conferences are different events. They're not interchangable.
I know and understand this. I just think it's trivial. Maybe we should consider doing something other than arguing over the arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic as it's sinking. Catch my drift?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
You know, I watched Obama’s speech last night, and I have a few comments.

I didn’t much care for his tone at all. It reminded me of a frustrated kindergarten teacher trying to get her class to do something it obviously didn’t want to do. It seems he’s getting frustrated that people aren’t blindly carrying out his orders. That’s bad in a couple of ways.

It doesn’t bode well for his disposition for the next four years, because people ARE going to disagree with him. It also makes him look like he EXPECTS people to do what he says. I hate to break it to him, but we all have opinions and thoughts on how things need to be done, and they ain’t all gonna mesh with his opinions and ideas.

He also alienated a large part of the populace by saying he just can’t negotiate with people who want to do nothing. I think they should do nothing. Explain to me why we should do something, convince me. He has yet to do this, nobody has really, and it is clear from last night he isn’t willing to try.

At least four times, he mentioned ‘the failed policies of the last eight years.’ The election’s over. Putting blame on the past makes you look bad. Blaming the past four times (at least) in one speech makes you look very bad.

I also noticed that he mentioned the same number of times that he inherited a deficit of a trillion dollars. On this he is correct. However, he wants to double it within his first month in office. He didn’t point THAT out.

Who was that moron reporter that asked about baseball? Obama should have cut him off with a ‘we’re here to talk about important things’ type of rebuff. I think that was a missed opportunity.

Was it me, or did he slip and said Iran had a nuke? I thought I heard it. I either misheard, he misspoke, or he let something slip.

]Really, I think he’s trying, but I think he’s in way over his head. I don’t think he gets the issues completely, doesn’t know what to do about it, and can’t take disagreement.

I hope he improves.

I can't agree more than 100% with you...he is trying to convince him self and all the people who already voted for him and have no clue what he is saying and "yes" has no clue that the campaign is over and he is the president...what a joke...
Although i wasn't in favor of him becoming the president I at least expected something else for the first 3 weeks, but this has started worse than I could have ever imagined!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
What the OP heard was only what he wanted to hear.
Actually, I expected to hear a good presentation on why we absolutly needed the stimulus presented by a man confident in his convictions. I didn't hear that at all.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I can't agree more than 100% with you...he is trying to convince him self and all the people who already voted for him and have no clue what he is saying and "yes" has no clue that the campaign is over and he is the president...what a joke...
Although i wasn't in favor of him becoming the president I at least expected something else for the first 3 weeks, but this has started worse than I could have ever imagined!
If you are of that opinion of Obama, you must have been really felt miserable and depressed when Bush was at the helm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies