Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyK View Post
Rage on. Imagine the money you could have made today while surfing the internet and arguing with me! You could have purchased all kinds of insulin. But instead, your hand is OUT and you have well-planned EXCUSES for your circumstances.

Are you so dense that you missed the part where I told you I was working .. and i managed to do that while arguing with you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Geeoro,

It's all about work ethic. If Americans were still "ruggedly independent" I would embrace UHC in a second. It would be a much easier, more streamlined way to get care. However, the majority of people in America do not pay taxes and there's no reason for me to believe they would pay for UHC either. That burden will fall to people who now pay the majority of taxes. If you think it will be any different, dream on. As long as the attitude is "voting for my self interest" instead of voting for "what's best for America" I'm afraid I will be a big time skeptic and fight it all the way.
Do you really understand what a UHC is?
Americans pay taxes everyday for things they do not use themselves.
There was a great previous post explaining this.
You really do have such little faith in Americans. Do you really think that because they will get free health care that many Americans will stop work just to get that. You must be kidding. Do you think that the Majority of Brits have stopped working to get health care...... No they haven't.
The burden of the war was on the people who pay the majority of the taxes and it wasn't even for Americans. Iraq is now getting a better health care system than the USA, thanks to our hard earned Dollars.
If you believe that Americans should NOT benefit from our taxation, and i pay a lot of tax, then you are the one who has self interest at heart and not America.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Are you so dense that you missed the part where I told you I was working .. and i managed to do that while arguing with you..
A few on here have extremely selective reading TM. I have posted so many actual facts and links but they are skipped over or conveniently ignored.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If you believe that Americans should NOT benefit from our taxation, and i pay a lot of tax, then you are the one who has self interest at heart and not America.
Perhaps without realizing it - you are advocating that Americans be obligated to pay upwards to 50%, or more, in income taxes - this includes the tax for your UHI scheme.

Do you realize this?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

157 posts, read 180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You also said you were jobless and you've posted about 10 times in the last hour. That's America's new work ethic on display.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Perhaps without realizing it - you are advocating that Americans be obligated to pay upwards to 50%, or more, in income taxes - this includes the tax for your UHI scheme.

Do you realize this?
Where did you get this figure of 50% or more? I showed you the tax paid for Healthcare and pensions and many other things in the UK..Did you not see the figures? Check it out again. You can say 50% or 90% or 1% you just seem to pluck figures out of the air.
Exactly what do you know about a UHC or the actual funding of a UHC?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Where did you get this figure of 50% or more?
Simple: The lowest INCOME tax rate currently is at 26%. Add to this the estimated 12% for a UHI, you are now at 38% tax on your income. Then, there is the SSI tax on your pay that comes right out of your check - based on income (an income tax). Then, if you consider that there are many states with an income tax AND cities (like NYC) that also have an income tax, you are suddenly approaching the 50% income tax amount. Now, add in all the sales taxes you pay, and you can easily be over the 50% mark.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

157 posts, read 180,518 times
Quote:
Do you really understand what a UHC is?
Americans pay taxes everyday for things they do not use themselves.
There was a great previous post explaining this.
You really do have such little faith in Americans. Do you really think that because they will get free health care that many Americans will stop work just to get that. You must be kidding. Do you think that the Majority of Brits have stopped working to get health care...... No they haven't.
The burden of the war was on the people who pay the majority of the taxes and it wasn't even for Americans. Iraq is now getting a better health care system than the USA, thanks to our hard earned Dollars.
Oh yes. It's crystal clear. If you believe Americans will suddenly start paying for their own healthcare (at any price) you are very, very gullible. Oh it might start that way, but it will be another vote getting scheme "95% of America will have their healthcare costs slashed under my administration"....can't you hear it now? It will be just another political tool (toy).

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, it is going to leave NO ONE "out". It will however make affordable health incurance accessable to people of ALL income levels.

What I believe you don't like is, health insurance will remain voluntary. You want a Mandatory program. And that is not going to happen.

Your plan all depends on the premiums that you have already said can't be determined yet. Can you guarantee that insurance premiums will not take over a certain % of household income. Because ultimately there is a "budget" guildeline that families need to follow..

They need to alot 35% for housing.. % for food..etc. And depending on what each household makes would depend on what kind of housing.. etc. .. or foods people purchase.. But same doesn't hold true for insurance.

This means testing.. you haven't really explained what that means. Is it giong to take into account a family that then needs to spend over 20% of their incoem in health insurane costs? And about those "means tests".. .if they were so affective..then why are so many people not qualified for governmnet assistance now who can't afford health insurance or their health insurance costs. too often it is the middle class people who are falling through the cracks.... and will fall through yet again.

It goes to address tort reform..but it doesn't address other issues.. like costs that are passed on for those that will still remain uninsured. And what about those people who DO recklessly decide to be uninsured..but then fall ill and rack up bills they don't pay that wreak havoc on the rest of us.

What about multiple tests being ordered for the same patient needlessly.. this reform doesn't address the "waste" in the system.

yes.. it needs to be mandatory just like car insurance is mandatory. If the "costs" are still percieved as unaffordable my many Americans, they may elect not to have insurance at all.. especially if they are healthy. As you can see.. having a system that only the "sick" utilize just causes the costs to rise..

Now .. forcing someone who isn't sick may be "wrong" ..but the simple truth of the matter is at some point EVERYONE gets sick.. and EVERYONE WILL and DOES utilize the healthcare system.. so we are not forcing someone to pay for something they will NEVER NEED , OR NEVER UTILIZE.

Had they made insurance mandatory to carry and then set up a structure where EVERYONE pays for insurance up to a certain percentage of their income.. it would have been far more affective.

INsurance industry would still be as it is.. but it would significantly DECREASE our uninsured rate.. thereby decreasing the incidents of unpaid medical bills AND it would have made a much "larger" pool of people within the entire insurance industry thereby further decreasing the costs of premiums.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Rage on. Imagine the money you could have made today while surfing the internet and arguing with me! You could have purchased all kinds of insulin. But instead, your hand is OUT and you have well-planned EXCUSES for your circumstances.
You shouldn't make assumptions about supporters of UHC. I make just about 6 figures and my husband more than that.

We are not waiting for handouts or making excuses.

I support health care for every American citizen as I think no one should die or suffer due to lack of health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies