Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

"We find that those who work honestly, and only seek a man's fair average of life, or a woman's, get that average, though sometimes by the most singular experiences in the long run. And thus we find that, when an extraordinary contingency arises in life, as just now in ours, we have only to go to our pork-barrel, and the fish rises to hook or spear.

The sovereign brings this about in all sorts of ways, but he does not fail, if, without flattering him, you trust him. Of this sovereign the name is - "the Public."

Edward Everett Hale, 1863.

"I hold a family to be in a desperate way, when the mother can see the bottom of the pork barrel."

James Fenimore Cooper, 1845

My fellow Americans, we can see the bottom of the barrel, the nation is indeed in need of pork. Now I can say that because having gotten my start in politics in the great state of Louisiana, the home of bodacious politicians, where calling a pig a pig is a mark of honor, not only is it logical, but truthful and thus understandable to average voter. The stimulus bill is pork and just the right kind of protean that the economy needs. Low in fat, filled with calories and protean, the things a starving economy can use.

But unlike the much aligned "pork barrel" projects of the McCainites, this port barrel isn't slated for any particular state of congressional district it is a spending bill for the nation, thus I will refer to it as Pork Writ Large. And, I do so with no shame if that will end the ridiculous argument semantic argument over whether the proposal is pork vs stimulus.

"So then you get the argument, well, this is not a stimulus bill, this is a spending bill. What do you think a stimulus is? (Laughter and applause.) That's the whole point."

Barack Obama, 2009

who would never shy away from calling a babybacks, pork, If I were working for Obama I too would not shy away for one second from call it thus. Call it pork without districts because that is what pork barrel projects have become, specific spending bills targeting specific states or congressional districts. This pork barrel project is for the nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies