Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Since someone here put why they dislike the public school system..

Here is why I LIKE the public school system;

1) it is open for EVERYONE and ANYONE BECAUSE it is sanctioned by the government. No one student can be discriminated against getting an education in that school based on anything other than where they live (as you must live within the district boudaries that the schools are in in most places in the country) Rich, poor, white , black, hispanic.. we ALL have the opportunity to get an education and make something of ourselves.

2) Becuase there is DIVERSITY in the PS School system (even in some of the richest SD where i was from there were students that came to school that were from poorer sections of the district).. because of the socio economic make up AND the racial make up of schools I and my child are exposed to many different cultures and can learn how other people choose to believe or not believe in GOD and how and what holidays they celebrate.

3) There is no religion in school.. because why do I want to learn about the way someone ELSE believes in GOD or religion. Every family should be able to teach their children about their family beliefs and religion stays in the home.

That being said I and my brothers are all products of a public school system. ONe is doing post doctoral work on genetic research the other is an engineer making a nice living in the midwest and I choose self employment and opted out of college on choice. We were not taught ANY political agenda..left nor right. We weren't told what God to belive in or not believe in at school. We had friends that were of all different faiths, religions and ethnic backgrounds.

There are improvements that need to be made to public school system. There are things i think I should have learned, but didn't learn. Maybe we didn't learn ALL The facts.. but perhaps that is BECAUSE facts can be twisted to teach and agenda.. like if you go to a conservative right wing elitist private school you'll learn history different or with a different slant.. THAT has NO PLACE in any school.. teach the facts, stick to the facts and leave the intepretation of those facts up to the individual. DO encourage the individual to have an opinion of history and the facts and let students have a discussion of such.. THAT is healthy. It is even fine if a teacher shares THEIR opinion.. but differentiates between the FACT and OPINION.

I see it this way.. don't like public school.. fine..don't send your kids to one.. If you have enough money to ship your kid off to an elitist right wing school by all means that is your perogative. BUT.. it is the way of the U.S that we ALL contribute to educate our students as it benefits everyone for future generations to have access and gain and education. My brother could be working right now on genes to find cures for diseases such as Parkinsons and Cancer and maybe hell be the one to cure it. Perhaps if he hand't had that public education the right side likes to put down (and moan about paying taxes toward it) then he might not have found that cure he may end up finding.

And.. Obama would not BE Obama without public education. Love him or hate him.. you have to admit he is smart, articulate and well educated and he IS the leader of the Free world.

"Here is why I LIKE the public school system"

Dear Tara, the reason you're so fond of the public school system is that you're a hard-core East Coast liberal from Queens. You share the values of the liberals who run the public school system and support them shirking their responsibility to teach our children what they need to compete in a global economy. The values taught by the public school system that you find to be so acceptable are far from the values of conservatives or even mainstream Americans, but you don't care as long as it's your values being forced onto other's children against their will. Everyone knows the only way to create new liberals is to fill children's heads with left wing propaganda before they develop the ability to see what liberals claim to be fact is completely illogical.

"If you have enough money to ship your kid off to an elitist right wing school by all means that is your perogative."

And for the people who don't, too bad deal with it? Obama attended private schools and his children attend private schools. Liberals oppose vouchers that would give less affluent families a way out of the public school system because it would force accountability into the classroom. The NEA always comes before our kids. That's why our kids are consistently some of the dimmest in the world.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Now I'm not talking about all Republicans. But ever since I got my teaching degree, I noticed that conservatives, in general have a much more hostile attitude toward public ed. than liberals. My Democrat friends have always encouraged me in my career choice, while some conservative friends act like "well...whatever floats your boat man...". One friend even tried to get me to switch careers because public schools were so "anti-God". I got the impression that you can't be a true conservative and agree with universal public education. I really believe that what I'm doing is very beneficial to society.

Now I know public schools have problems, and there needs to be reform, but why are so many conservatives wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?
The really, really rich do not use public education. They send their kids to outrageously expensive PRIVATE schools. A lot of them are also mean, hateful misers who resent paying taxes to fund public education. They've succeeded in convincing a lot of (not remotely as rich) like minded hateful misers that charter schools, or "christian academies/schools" are sooo much better. I am not convinced they are.

These people live in a bubble. It's all about them. They cannot comprehend that what is good for the citizenry is good for them in the end.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Obama is sending his kids to public schools.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:09 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Obama is sending his kids to public schools.
Don't make me laugh. Obama's daughters go to Sidwell Friends, a very pricey private school in the Washington, DC area. Tuition per year:
Elementary - $28,442
Middle and High school - $29,442
Sidwell Friends School: Admissions » Tuition and Fees (http://www.sidwell.edu/admissions/tuition.asp - broken link)

Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You're right, I agree, parent involvement is extremely important. However, I don't think many parents are actively involved, or maybe consider involvement as paying taxes. Too many parents place the burden of their kids' education on the school system, then blame the system for failure. Of course, no parent will admit to apathy. But getting involved means less time watching ESPN and American Idol.
Agreed. We need to get people away from that mentality.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I don't hate public education. I love public education.

What I hate is the stupid idea that keep going around that we need to spend more money to get better results. Against all proof to the contrary. That is what I hate.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Obama sends his kids to private school to allow the Secret Service to provide for the childern's physical security.

School vouchers only provide a minor subsidy to the people already wealthy enough to afford private school. They have no effect for the less affluent. Our town tosses a ton of money at public education and produces very sucessfull citizens. Most town cannot afford the cost of providing excellent schools so the kids pay for this lack with lower value education. I am proud of the schools and the kids. I have to pay for their education even though I do not have childern of my own. Well worth the cost.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Obama sends his kids to private school to allow the Secret Service to provide for the childern's physical security.
And he sent them to private school in Chicago because...?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The same reason I assume. The City of Chicago has been so starved or economic possibilites and tax resources for so long that the violence has increased to an unacceptable level.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You don't actually believe this, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies