Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,827,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The same reason I assume. The City of Chicago has been so starved or economic possibilites and tax resources for so long that the violence has increased to an unacceptable level.
The Superintendent of Chicago Public Schools was being interviewed several months ago.
He has been battling the teacher's union there since he became superintendent.
He said that in the last four years only one teacher has been fired.
Do you believe that the Chicago Public School System has been that lucky that every teacher that they have in the system is a very good teacher?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM

88,565 posts, read 44,283,634 times
Quote:
The same reason I assume. The City of Chicago has been so starved or economic possibilites and tax resources for so long that the violence has increased to an unacceptable level.
Right... Those darn multimillion dollar Gold Coast condos, Loop highrise office buildings, and Magnificent Mile properties are so low-priced that they just don't pay much in property tax to support the city/schools (residential pays ~2% of fair market value annually; commercial pays even more). Heck, even Obama's home in the Hyde Park neighborhood is only worth $1.6 million. Oh, and hey, the country's highest sales tax - 10.25% in Chicago - should be much higher. What are they thinking???

If there are any tax resource shortfalls, it's because of Dem patronage jobs and graft - er, I mean 'mismanagement' (wink, wink) - a la 'da mare' Daley and the Chicago Machine.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM

77,739 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Now I'm not talking about all Republicans. But ever since I got my teaching degree, I noticed that conservatives, in general have a much more hostile attitude toward public ed. than liberals. My Democrat friends have always encouraged me in my career choice, while some conservative friends act like "well...whatever floats your boat man...". One friend even tried to get me to switch careers because public schools were so "anti-God". I got the impression that you can't be a true conservative and agree with universal public education. I really believe that what I'm doing is very beneficial to society.

Now I know public schools have problems, and there needs to be reform, but why are so many conservatives wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?
Basically, teachers unions have tightly allied themselves with the democratic party which already sets up tension when an advocacy group becomes so partisan.

Secondly, urban areas...dominated by democratic politicians and having amongst the worst schools...frustrate a number of republicans that want to send their kids to private schools and are irritated by the high urban taxes and the entrenched crappy public school system.

I personally am a strong believer in the public school system...but I'm not naive enough to not see problems in certain areas. Additionally, the system is so entrenched in the local one-party rule that as a parent you are left little hope but to go private (which leaves behind the kids of parents that don't care so much about education, starting the cycle of crappy public schools)

Yes, there are some other reasons involving "liberal agenda" or religion but those are minor and in some cases silly. Most of the angst surrounds school quality and monopoly control of education with no hope of change when the local level is mono-party.

Most conservatives I know are VERY public education, involved in their kids schooling etc. etc. my kids public schools are excellent. If I lived elsewhere and their schools were bad I'd be upset...but in Chicago where I used to live...tough luck buddy.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Basically, teachers unions have tightly allied themselves with the democratic party which already sets up tension when an advocacy group becomes so partisan.

Secondly, urban areas...dominated by democratic politicians and having amongst the worst schools...frustrate a number of republicans that want to send their kids to private schools and are irritated by the high urban taxes and the entrenched crappy public school system.

I personally am a strong believer in the public school system...but I'm not naive enough to not see problems in certain areas. Additionally, the system is so entrenched in the local one-party rule that as a parent you are left little hope but to go private (which leaves behind the kids of parents that don't care so much about education, starting the cycle of crappy public schools).

...Most of the angst surrounds school quality and monopoly control of education with no hope of change when the local level is mono-party.
Since Obama's a Dem, why does he have a problem with the Dem-controlled public school system in Chicago? Why wouldn't he send his kids to public schools in Chicago?

And, yes, the taxes are high. Tax shortfall is not the problem.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,826,958 times
Quote:
Obama sends his kids to private school to allow the Secret Service to provide for the childern's physical security.

School vouchers only provide a minor subsidy to the people already wealthy enough to afford private school. They have no effect for the less affluent. Our town tosses a ton of money at public education and produces very sucessfull citizens. Most town cannot afford the cost of providing excellent schools so the kids pay for this lack with lower value education. I am proud of the schools and the kids. I have to pay for their education even though I do not have childern of my own. Well worth the cost.
What a crock. Couldn't the Secret Service provide for the Children's physical security at a Washington DC public school? Could this only be done at a private school? Produce some to back up your claim that this was done for security and it could not be done at a private school. Once again, Greggy, put up or shut-up.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Welcome to one-party control of a geographic area....graft, corruption and cronyism. Chicago public schools are so politicized and a giant mass of red-tape it's sad.

The crappy public system has spawned a robust private school system for those with the money (or athletic talent) to get to attend the school. Some families that care greatly about education go without to send their kids private. This leaves behind the poor (often minorities) in sub-par schools, have a nice day.

Chicago is a Kingdom, it's not a democracy...the peasants just keep voting for the same king and court but are incapable of change so they deserve it.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,183,434 times
Lol, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that the kids would be safer not going to DC public schools.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Since Obama's a Dem, why does he have a problem with the Dem-controlled public school system in Chicago? Why wouldn't he send his kids to public schools in Chicago?

And, yes, the taxes are high. Tax shortfall is not the problem.
I'd be shocked in many ranking politicians (I won't bother saying democrats because that's a given) send thier kids to public school. It's not because someone is going to try to kill off the sanitation commissioners kid...it's because the public schools (mostly) stink.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,826,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Obama is sending his kids to public schools.
Absolutely 100% false. The Sidwell Friends School is private:

Obama Girls Will Go To Sidwell Friends
Elite Private School Is 'Best Fit' for Next First Family]

Continuing a tradition among Washington's power elite, President-elect Barack Obama and his wife have decided to send their kids to Sidwell Friends School. Michelle Obama confirmed yesterday that Malia and Sasha, the incoming first daughters, will enroll at the pricey private school when the family moves into the White House in January.

Tuition this year for elementary school is $28,442; for the middle school, $29,442.

President-elect Barack Obama and Mrs. Obama Decide to Send Daughters to Sidwell Friends School - washingtonpost.com

Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Lol, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that the kids would be safer not going to DC public schools.
Why aren't DC public schools safe? They spend over $13,000 per student per year - WAY more than the national average of just under $9,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies