Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 PM

425 posts, read 665,439 times

Advertisements

Let's ask the president why he sends his kids to private school

Let's ask Congress, the Senate, the State Governors and on and on...

Public education is below them and theirs

Heck, I know a couple of State School Superintendants that send their kids (and grandkids) to private school! Hows that for hypocrisy?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:54 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Let's ask the president why he sends his kids to private school

Let's ask Congress, the Senate, the State Governors and on and on...

Public education is below them and theirs

Heck, I know a couple of State School Superintendants that send their kids (and grandkids) to private school! Hows that for hypocrisy?
As for Obama.. I can understand why he sends his kids to private school.. and it has nothing to do with it being "below" them..

Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
The South has been the epicenter for prejudice and oppression; for most of their history Southerners have relied on slave/peon labor to power their economy.

Hence, the disdain for public education.
I have no disdain for public education but I am developing a bit for you. Although the topic of this thread is trollish in nature, your very obvious prejudice of the entire South drops it to a medulla-level of discussion which I now leave.

Excuse me while I go and disperse an unauthorized meeting of my peon slaves.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
As for Obama.. I can understand why he sends his kids to private school.. and it has nothing to do with it being "below" them..
Really? Why?

Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have no disdain for public education but I am developing a bit for you. Although the topic of this thread is trollish in nature, your very obvious prejudice of the entire South drops it to a medulla-level of discussion which I now leave.

Excuse me while I go and disperse an unauthorized meeting of my peon slaves.

Your problem isn't with me. It is with history.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
I can't find it now.. but I did show a link to a study of private schools vs. public school performance that was on a thread about this exact topic. In all instances it showed pretty much the same performance level between the two.
Sorry, no. Regarding the NCES study to which I believe you may be referring:

"...measures of student characteristics are flawed by inconsistent classification across the public and private sectors and by the inclusion of factors open to school influence. Using the same data but substituting better measures of student characteristics, we estimated three alternative models that identify a private school advantage in nearly all comparisons. ...all differences are statistically significant."
http://www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/PDF/...sonLlaudet.pdf

Quote:
If the curriculum isn't being taught and students aren't meeting the expectations, then the community needs to ask why...
I have given multiple examples of parents and concerned community members (which include many math and science professionals, by the way) KNOWING why. Knowing why doesn't help - they're still unable to effect positive change in their school systems because of flawed ideology tightly clung to by many educators.

Quote:
...how do you know that the "curriculum" that the parent wants to be taught in the public will be taught in the private..
How would parents know? Parents can compare curriculum amongst several schools and CHOOSE the level of academic rigor with which they would like to have their children educated. CHOICE - what a concept!

Quote:
...if there is something you want your child to learn that he isn't getting at his school, then it is the parents responsibility to teach it to them at home.. it's called parenting.
No. It's called a mushrooming multi-billion dollar 'learning center' industry (Score!, Huntington, Sylvan, Kumon, etc.) that parents are increasingly having to turn to because our public schools are falling short.

Quote:
...whatever problem they are having in Illinois is something that is wrong in Illinois and doesn't apply to all states, regions.
How do you explain the same complaints about public school systems coming from all over the country? You did see my post listing several parent/community groups' websites critical of public school educational practices from various parts of the country, right? How do you explain the decades long academic achievement drop found among top- and mid-level students, while struggling students - those more likely to have less parental involvement and more likely to come from financially disadvantaged families - register moderate achievement gains? Those results turn your 'parent involvement' theory on it's head!

What's worse is the the 'equal outcomes' ideology is intentional social engineering. Where does the idea of equalizing educational outcomes come from? Just two examples:

Education and Social Cohesion: Recentering the Debate, The Peabody Journal of Education, Vanderbilt University, 76(3&4), 1-6 (2001)

The premise is depicted (as Figure 1) in the Journal article as follows:

"Educational Outcomes Equality => Income Equality => Social Cohesion" and explained as:

"Put simply, countries with education systems producing more equal outcomes in terms of skills and qualifications are likely to have more equal distribution of income, and this in turn promotes social cohesion."

and...

Professor Paul George (University of Florida - College of Education) in talks has stated that middle schools should become "the focus of societal experimentation, the vehicle for movement toward increasing justice and equality in the society as a whole... Schools are not about taking each child as far as he or she can go. They're about redistributing the wealth of the future." (Hmmm... sounds familiar, doesn't it?)
THE LIBERAL ASSAULT ON EXCELLENCE | National Center for Policy Analysis

Educators have been led to believe they are doing the right, moral, ethical thing by thwarting average ability and advanced students' efforts to develop their potential. They are convinced that it isn't fair or just that some students will be able to reach higher levels of achievement than others, so the goal is to keep everyone to a below-average level to ensure the vast majority will obtain equal educational outcomes. Unfortunately this has resulted in our average and above students' lack of competitiveness with their international peers.

Educational leveling to promote income leveling to promote social cohesion. It's been promoted as a noble intention, but what has gone horribly wrong in this 'social leveling' scheme is that the world has evolved into a global economy in which one's marketable skills are now facing worldwide competition in the global arena - and other countries' students are kicking our students' butts.

It's not the republicans/conservatives who are anti-intellectual; it's those who continue to trap low and middle class students in public schools that aren't educating them adequately - with no way out. Social leveling for all but the already socioeconomic elite = class warfare, plain and simple. And the democrats/liberals who continue to defend the public school monopoly are the most egregious oppressors.

As a side note - if anyone wonders why so many people claim that they were 'victims' of 'predatory lenders' and were unable to understand the ramifications and financial consequences of the terms of their ARM, balloon, interest only, liar loans, etc., when the terms are spelled out clear as a bell in the loan contract so they know exactly what to expect, you can likely thank their dumbed down public education.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
NOT ONE country in the world that is on top as far as school performance had a privatized school system (I've pointed to this on a previous thread on the debate)..NOT ONE
How many have school choice? Look into this - you'll be surprised. Here's a good place to start:
What America Can Learn from School Choice in Other Countries

Old 02-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
What is it, then? Obama sent his kids to private school in Chicago when he lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood in a $1.6 million home - not exactly a low-income area of the city.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What is it, then? Obama sent his kids to private school in Chicago when he lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood in a $1.6 million home - not exactly a low-income area of the city.
I'm waiting for that answer also...

Old 02-14-2009, 04:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
now isnt that odd, im a liberal and i cant wait for voucher system.
public schools are dangerous and disfunctional.
40% of public school teachers send their kids to private school
if you knew of 1/2 the unreported assaults on teachers of which i am aware
you would too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies