Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM

425 posts, read 665,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
As for Obama.. I can understand why he sends his kids to private school.. and it has nothing to do with it being "below" them..
Quote:
Oh for goodness sake.. if you don't know what middle class is then I can't help you
Well, that seems to be the same answer we get out of the "O"

What gross income range are we discussing here, just so I know who you consider rich, poor, and middle class...

Old 02-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Let's ask the president why he sends his kids to private school

Let's ask Congress, the Senate, the State Governors and on and on...

Public education is below them and theirs

Heck, I know a couple of State School Superintendants that send their kids (and grandkids) to private school! Hows that for hypocrisy?
Quote:
As for Obama.. I can understand why he sends his kids to private school.. and it has nothing to do with it being "below" them..
Quote:
Really? Why?
Quote:
As for the Obama thing.. he can afford to send his kids to private school so he does.. period.. but at the same time the public education system gets his tax dollars to help the school system stay up and running for those who CAN'T afford private schools. Private schools also do have the ability to be more "sheltered" in respect to the girls and their safety, as i'm sure most in that school are from high profile families..it's really just common sense as to why the presidents daughters would be more comfortable in a private school..

I mean it's like if Brad and Angelina's kids are going to the same school as say Gwen Stefani's kids.. they won't really care that hey this parent is a famous this or that.. whereas in public school it could become a problem..

That is why I say it makes sense for Obama to have choosen a private school education for his high profile daughters.

So, in other words, public eductation is below them and theirs...

Old 02-14-2009, 06:17 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
So, in other words, public eductation is below them and theirs...

No .. I did NOT say taht.. I was speaking socially..

If you have children of famous parents attending school together.. then they don't care that theo thers parent is famous.. and it's not as big of a deal.

Put those students into a class with regular non famous people and well you know what happens..

Why do you think famous people have to have a VIP room.. yeah.. status.. but if they weren't harrased by the general public they wouldn't care wether they were in the VIP room or not.. Lots of celebrities would LOVE to walk into a store and just be a regular person..but they are not.

That is what I mean.. it has nothing to do with money and who is better and who isn't.. Obama is no better nor are his children any better than any of mine or your children.. but the fact of the matter is they are the children of the leader of the free world and thereby need to be somewhat segregated from the general public to maintain some normalcy and to NOT be a distraction to other children.

It's really just common sense.. it makes sense.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That is what I mean.. it has nothing to do with money and who is better and who isn't.. Obama is no better nor are his children any better than any of mine or your children.. but the fact of the matter is they are the children of the leader of the free world and thereby need to be somewhat segregated from the general public to maintain some normalcy and to NOT be a distraction to other children.

It's really just common sense.. it makes sense.
Okay, then why did Obama have his children in private school in Chicago when he wasn't "the leader of the free world"

Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Okay, then why did Obama have his children in private school in Chicago when he wasn't "the leader of the free world"

Because he could afford to.

Listen.. performance of schools definately improves when a family is more affluent. .that is a given..

But even in private schools the results per socio economic level were the same wether someone who was poor was in a private school vs. a public school... I pointed right to it in my links a few posts down.

So.. a middle income family sending their child to private school is not going to really change anything!!! Period..

or to go futher.. let's put it this way.

Why does the success of a child's education increase as the family becomes more affluent?

Simple.. if the family is "rich" than most likely the parents of that student has a high level of education and educational acheivement
If a family is poor.. most likely the parents have little if no academic achievement .. Take those in the Appalachian mountains.. their parents are uneducated and unable to participate, encourage or even supplement what they are learning in school and have no interest in it most likely. OR.. if you take the poor performing schools of where I grew up you will find they are usually in sections where they are more economically depressed but also the parents in the household speak little to no english.

Then there's all that in the middle...

A childs school success is almost directly correlated with what success or levels of education the parents achieved.

So a poor student put into an affluential private school will achive similar to that of a student in the public school system of the same home background and vice versa.

Obama's kids could have performed just as well in public education as they do in private edcuation.. but because he could easily afford a private one he elected for a private education.

And again.. read a few posts up where I say that they should be careful what they ask for..

Obama sent his kids to private school because he could.. period! BUT.. his tax dollars were still collected to fund publicly run schools..

Take away his tax dollars and you further deplete the public school system..

allow vouchers to go to private schools and defer money from public.. you will weaken public..

And your child will perform no better or no worse.. because what needs to happen needs to come from home and the parents first and foremost...

Last edited by TristansMommy; 02-14-2009 at 07:00 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristansmommy
And your child will perform no better or no worse.. because what needs to happen needs to come from home and the parents first and foremost...
I agree. Why was my home district among the best in the state?

Because my town was thoroughly middle class and cared about education. The parents EXPECTED a good public school, paid for it, and got what they paid for and then some--so much so that it resembled a private school on steroids. Some of my classmates went to Harvard and Yale. Over 90% of my graduating class went to some college, and the vast majority of us live respectable lives, whether it's working for the State Department or our fire department. But we ALL agree that our district prepared us well. Our town is immensely proud of our schools and we know that we get out of it what we put into it. I've also subbed in many districts to know that my town isn't the exception.

Public Schools CAN work.

Mackinac
Proud Alum, Portage Public Schools, Portage Michigan

Old 02-14-2009, 07:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I am conservative/Republican and I support IMPROVING public schools instead of giving a single penny to private schools.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am conservative/Republican and I support IMPROVING public schools instead of giving a single penny to private schools.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Conservatives hate public schooling because of Unions and the mismanagement of funds set aside for education. At some point the focus went from educating kids to lining pockets of Union members.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Conservatives hate public schooling because of Unions and the mismanagement of funds set aside for education. At some point the focus went from educating kids to lining pockets of Union members.
That's true with government all around these days.. however I believe that government can and will be cleaned up!

However, I believe corruption and greed runs even more rampant in the private sector because they are only accountable to their shareholders and all shareholders care about is profit..
Whereas the government is accountable to it's people on many more levels than just monetarily and with elections we ahve the ability, as a nation, to change the course of the nation by electing new members of congress/senate .. and the Presidency..

Which is precisely what we've done with this past election! we're already on a new course..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies