Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Completely the opposite. Conservatives ("Neocon" is a slur; equivalent to "moonbat" for a liberal) want choice for schools and giving all parents the right to choose which school to send their kids to, not just the rich parents that can afford private schools....

Conservatives want people to be educated and not dependant on the government (which seems to be the liberals agenda). We want more engineers, scientists, etc. These are the people we want working in our companies.
I was referring to the hijacked Republican Party of Washington Neocons.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
An educated mass has always been a threat to governments and religions since the dawn of time.

Education ( or the lack of therein) is the most crucial tool in public manipulation and mind and social control.

Look at how much the Catholic Church and its dependencies fought for the Bible to be printed in English/French/German etc... I wonder why...

Free education is far too threatening for many people who believe some people will actually start to think for themselves.
But look at what happens when the educated are displaced amongst the uneducated.

YouTube - Beast of War: Daskal's Paranoia Continued

This clip shows quite well how our country exists today.

I always got the feeling that Public Education in America is code for - OBEY.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
See, I've only had one instance in my twelve years of school where a teacher expressed her views before the class. So I never got the whole "teachers are imposing liberal values on children!" line. I've heard stories from elsewhere, but I don't think it's as widespread as people think. You are right though that most teachers probably vote Democrat. I've met very few Republican teachers.

my daughters teacher tries her best to spew the liberal mantra each and everyday to her class. private information should also not be asked by her teacher. if the teacher needs to know the info, then I will tell her, until then she should just mind her own business and teach the class.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Now I'm not talking about all Republicans. But ever since I got my teaching degree, I noticed that conservatives, in general have a much more hostile attitude toward public ed. than liberals. My Democrat friends have always encouraged me in my career choice, while some conservative friends act like "well...whatever floats your boat man...". One friend even tried to get me to switch careers because public schools were so "anti-God". I got the impression that you can't be a true conservative and agree with universal public education. I really believe that what I'm doing is very beneficial to society.

Now I know public schools have problems, and there needs to be reform, but why are so many conservatives wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?
It's simple....there is no PROFIT for repubs/conservatives in educating the peons....
they NEED them to be uneducated so they can serve their masters.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's simple....there is no PROFIT for repubs/conservatives in educating the peons....
they NEED them to be uneducated so they can serve their masters.
Look at my posts in this thread. You seem to have the political parties reversed. It's those who perpetuate what our public schools have become who are assuring the continuation of a socioeconomic elite class/group.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by small arms View Post
Last I checked, they were my kids. I raised them. And yes, I do object to someone else influencing them politically.
So then it's settled. Your issue with it is that you want them in an environment with as few contradictions to what you want them to believe as possible, no?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
So then it's settled. Your issue with it is that you want them in an environment with as few contradictions to what you want them to believe as possible, no?
Well - I don't think many people would want their kids viewing this kind of video.

YouTube - Mr. Peabody & Sherman Travel WayBack To 1953 - A History of Iraq

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
For those who don't want teachers "spewing liberal values" to children, no one here has yet defined what those "liberal values" are.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Completely the opposite. Conservatives ("Neocon" is a slur; equivalent to "moonbat" for a liberal) want choice for schools and giving all parents the right to choose which school to send their kids to, not just the rich parents that can afford private schools....

Conservatives want people to be educated and not dependant on the government (which seems to be the liberals agenda). We want more engineers, scientists, etc. These are the people we want working in our companies.
In the first paragraph, you make an argument for choice via school vouchers. Yet in the very next paragraph, you boast that conservatives don't want government dependence--which is precisely what vouchers would be.

More than anything, education is about preparation; not just for the present, but preparation for future society.

Now, if you're really about choice, how about this: any young person who graduates high school, achieves a B average, and chooses to attend college full-time, shall have the opportunity to do so. Free of charge. How's that for choice.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM

266 posts, read 402,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Because I don't think politics should be in school, there not going to have contradictions? What rock do you live under?

I see, Democratic politics in school is ok, but conservative politics in school is not. How about we just leave both out of the class room unless it's a college course.

I don't go to church, but my 16 year old daughter does. Guess she missed the memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies