Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times

Advertisements

I, for one, think this country could use more bald eagles, and fewer people.

Scratch that. Fewer people would do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I, for one, think this country could use more bald eagles, and fewer people.

Scratch that. Fewer people would do just fine.
Ditto.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
So if you're truly pro-life, put your money where your mouth is and adopt a child of ANY race. Until then, you don't really have a leg to stand on.
A common, if tired old 'bromide'. I can be opposed to abortion, and regard it as an act of evil, without being compelled to "adopt" anyone (as a matter of fact, I DO have three adopted kids....15, 16, and 17, whose parents 'chose' not to raise them. They're my biological grandchildren..but I digress).

Holding the position that abortion is morally evil does NOT compel anyone to "adopt the kid". I can be morally opposed to a man viciuosly beating his wife; I can urge that he be prosecuted. That does NOT mean I am obligated to "put my money where my mouth is", and begin SUPPORTING the abused wife....that's not my responsibility, it's HIS. If you neglect your children, I can object; I can even call the police. That may make me a "bleeding heart kiddie-lover", but it does NOT mean I have to justify my position by adopting your kids....your kids are YOUR responsibility. You're not supposed to neglect them, hurt them, or kill them, quite aside from anything I do, or do not do.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Basically it is if someone kills a pregnant mother, they are now charged with two murders, the mother and unborn child...

But if the child is just aborted, all it good. That is perverse thinking that the kid is only viable if the kid is wanted and then it is murder verses trash....
I'd say you are correct. I believe in a woman's access to elective abortion. At the same time, I think both the right and the left simplify the issue. Abortion, on a biological level, is a counterintuitive act: to destroy the life one is carrying seems rather odd, to say the least. On a social level, however, there are all kinds of reasons why abortion would be seen as a viable option: pregnancy as a result of rape or incest, for example. To force a woman to carry a child which is the result of this type of violence does further psychological violence to the mother. Such a person needs to have the option of abortion.

Also, absolutisms are rarely defensible. To say that abortion should be illegal--absolutely--makes no sense in a world in which context defines the meaning of any word or act. For example, many people who believe abortion should be illegal, absolutely, also believe that it's acceptable to break the commandment not to kill in times of war. Why should it be okay to kill during a war, but not during peacetime? That makes no sense, either, in terms of the parameters of absolutism. Either the rule is "Thou shalt not kill" or it's not, right? Context defines our response to the world.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Basically it is if someone kills a pregnant mother, they are now charged with two murders, the mother and unborn child...

But if the child is just aborted, all it good. That is perverse thinking that the kid is only viable if the kid is wanted and then it is murder verses trash....
Remember the infamous "Scott Peterson case" a few years ago? I sure do...I live in California, and it dominated the news for months. Remember that Peterson's wife, Stacy, was pregnant at the time? Possibly not, because it caused a LOT of people here some real discomfort. Why? Because this is California...and while Peterson was a text book 'jerk', who'd coldly murdered a VERY pretty young wife, he'd ALSO done something else...he'd killed an unborn person....and here in California, there were a lot of people who were VERY reluctant to discuss that.

WHY? I can't imagine. Killing a fetus in California?....hmmmmmm ...

Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 PM

How about if we aborted EAGLES, and killed bald PEOPLE? Same THING, right...just worded differently?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
How about if we aborted EAGLES, and killed bald PEOPLE? Same THING, right...just worded differently?
Hey, just because I am starting to become "Folically" challenged, you don't have to get mean....

Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I'd say you are correct. I believe in a woman's access to elective abortion. At the same time, I think both the right and the left simplify the issue. Abortion, on a biological level, is a counterintuitive act: to destroy the life one is carrying seems rather odd, to say the least. On a social level, however, there are all kinds of reasons why abortion would be seen as a viable option: pregnancy as a result of rape or incest, for example. To force a woman to carry a child which is the result of this type of violence does further psychological violence to the mother. Such a person needs to have the option of abortion.

Also, absolutisms are rarely defensible. To say that abortion should be illegal--absolutely--makes no sense in a world in which context defines the meaning of any word or act. For example, many people who believe abortion should be illegal, absolutely, also believe that it's acceptable to break the commandment not to kill in times of war. Why should it be okay to kill during a war, but not during peacetime? That makes no sense, either, in terms of the parameters of absolutism. Either the rule is "Thou shalt not kill" or it's not, right? Context defines our response to the world.
Rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger, is a whole different subject line and most people can relate to that, or at least be more tolerant of abortion in limited uses. Verses don't want to be bothered by a child just because.... Which is about 99% of the time or higher.

As far as war, the bible goes into some real details about it. The ten Commandments were to live a normal life by. I doubt that if someone was strangling your child, you would say nothing because of the ten commandments. I would assume that you would take a bat if available and break it over their head to protect your child.... I would doubt that God would be too picky if you are doing the "Lord's Work" and rearranging the scum's skull a tad...

Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
That is a odd statement to make about someone whom you know nothing about.....

Abortion is such an easy step to the left, like throwing out the trash.

No one practices abstaining from sex very high on a list, instead it is OK to pass out condoms in elementary classes...

But it is OK to throw someone in jail for cracking an Eagle egg.... Ben Franklin called them Glorified Buzzards.... He wanted the Wild Turkey as the National Bird and we eat them for Thanksgiving.

Guess if he had his choice, we would be eating Buzzards for Thanksgiving...
I don't need to know anything about you. I know that you said abortion wasn't as bad as we all thought because it was liberal babies being aborted. You sound like a real peach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A common, if tired old 'bromide'. I can be opposed to abortion, and regard it as an act of evil, without being compelled to "adopt" anyone (as a matter of fact, I DO have three adopted kids....15, 16, and 17, whose parents 'chose' not to raise them. They're my biological grandchildren..but I digress).

Holding the position that abortion is morally evil does NOT compel anyone to "adopt the kid". I can be morally opposed to a man viciuosly beating his wife; I can urge that he be prosecuted. That does NOT mean I am obligated to "put my money where my mouth is", and begin SUPPORTING the abused wife....that's not my responsibility, it's HIS. If you neglect your children, I can object; I can even call the police. That may make me a "bleeding heart kiddie-lover", but it does NOT mean I have to justify my position by adopting your kids....your kids are YOUR responsibility. You're not supposed to neglect them, hurt them, or kill them, quite aside from anything I do, or do not do.
No one should be compelled to adopt if they don't want to. That's not the point I'm trying to make. I was simply pointing out that pro-lifers tend to rely on this total myth that there are thousands of couples just waiting to adopt babies. And, like I said, they're usually waiting for white babies. What I'm saying is, the adoption myth that you guys rely on is still heavily used to justify your position. A lot of people know that the "eagerly waiting adoptive parent" angle is a myth. Like I said, they're waiting for white babies. So, until there are no babies in the custody of the state, and couples are literally lining up around the block to adopt a baby of ANY color, I suggest the pro-lifers stop trumpeting the myth about adoption being viable in every single case and just straight up say that the Bible tells them it's wrong (and should then admit that their views on the death penalty are hypocritical, "sanctity of life" and all that). That comment that you replied to wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the chucklehead who said liberal babies were being aborted so it was good for conservatives.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
No one should be compelled to adopt if they don't want to. That's not the point I'm trying to make. I was simply pointing out that pro-lifers tend to rely on this total myth that there are thousands of couples just waiting to adopt babies. And, like I said, they're usually waiting for white babies. What I'm saying is, the adoption myth that you guys rely on is still heavily used to justify your position. A lot of people know that the "eagerly waiting adoptive parent" angle is a myth. Like I said, they're waiting for white babies. So, until there are no babies in the custody of the state, and couples are literally lining up around the block to adopt a baby of ANY color, I suggest the pro-lifers stop trumpeting the myth about adoption being viable in every single case and just straight up say that the Bible tells them it's wrong (and should then admit that their views on the death penalty are hypocritical, "sanctity of life" and all that). That comment that you replied to wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the chucklehead who said liberal babies were being aborted so it was good for conservatives.
So... your throwing the unborn into the trash is your solution to the adoption issue? Bet if you have any surviving kids, you can really scare the Hell out of them when they get a bit out of hand... Just tell them about their siblings that got in the way.... Three pointer from accross the room into the trash!

Conservatives as a whole don't abort children (there are exceptions), but that is "WHY" they are Conservative, it is pretty much a "Left" thing that you are trying to float as some kind of "Normal".

Your trying to say "Well they do it!" don't fly very well and is a very lame excuse in an effort for you to try to justify your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies