Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

I don't know anyone who thinks Walmart is evil but I know lots of people, myself included, who choose not to shop at Walmart because we disagree with Walmart's policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, it's hard to believe that non-Union employees can get the job done. Outsourcing to the private sector was the best Union buster ever invented.

Just think if the entire US work force was unionized. Inflation would be on the level of Mexico in the 80s with everyone making 20 bucks an hour. A loaf of bread would cost 25 bucks since everyone is making so much more.
If you're talking about the trades, many who work non-union jobs are working illegally. Yeah, they "get the job done."

Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Depends on the region. $20/hour will let you barely get by in Boston. A two-bedroom apartment in a decent--a decent, not a top-flight--school district will cost you between $1500-$1800/month.

Let's see (assuming that health insurance is not an issue): $20/hour, 40 hours week=$3200/month minus taxes. That's $38,000/gross and about $29,000/net (after federal and state income and social security taxes). Leaves you with a little over $2400/month. If you don't have a car payment or student loans or medical bills, and you have no children, it should be doable. Although it would be better to get a roommate situation than try to rent an apartment on your own.
You reek of entitlements. You think just because you were born here you should be able to live in the City and neighborhood that you want? Rent..........who you? No way, you DESERVE these things. The Union theme has you in a firm grasp. The tax payers OWE YOU because you were born here.

I agree, a City job is for you.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You reek of entitlements. You think just because you were born here you should be able to live in the City and neighborhood that you want?

I agree, a City job is for you.
That's right. I think every American should be able to live in the city and neighborhood that they want to live in. But, according to you, that "reeks of entitlement." What?--Americans should be grateful for a rat-infested dump at $1000/month and that than can scrape by subsistence-level living? That's not my idea of life for an American citizen.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I don't know anyone who thinks Walmart is evil but I know lots of people, myself included, who choose not to shop at Walmart because we disagree with Walmart's policies.
Personally , I won't shop there because it's got the same cheap Chinese made junk that every other store has. JC Penny, Target, they all sell the exact same stuff. If I had one closer I'd base my buys on what's cheaper for the same item.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
That's right. I think every American should be able to live in the city and neighborhood that they want to live in. But, according to you, that "reeks of entitlement." What?--Americans should be grateful for a rat-infested dump at $1000/month and that than can scrape by subsistence-level living? That's not my idea of life for an American citizen.
Here's my idea, study in HS, work your way through College if you want and become the best qualified person for a good paying job. This ain't Communist China where the govt decides what job and pay you get.

Certain jobs are given better pay for a reason, they require someone smart or hard working. I bet you think Taco Bell employees should be ringing in 20 an hour.

I think you've just came up with the newest reality show! Everyone gets PAID! Taco Bell employees knockin down 6 large.

I'd watch it for the train wreck effect.

Here is what RESPONSIBLE people do, if they cannot afford to live in a pricey neighborhood they move to one they can afford. Unions have rewarded lazy, shiftless behavior for far too long.

I will say this, if we could eliminate Illegal Immigration Unions wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
What if they work at wal mart and want to live in beverly hills? Should they be able to demand the money they want to live there?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
What if they work at wal mart and want to live in beverly hills? Should they be able to demand the money they want to live there?
According to this chap MovingForward , yes!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Here's my idea, study in HS, work your way through College if you want and become the best qualified person for a good paying job. This ain't Communist China where the govt decides what job and pay you get.
That's a fine idea. But if the market is out of control to the point where people who have played by the rules cannot afford to live a decent life, then we have a problem. And since that's the way it is now, we have a problem.

I have a college degree. In fact, I have three of them. As does my husband. The nature of our work is such that we cannot choose where we live, but must live where the work takes us. We paid almost $400,000 for a 1200 sqft house, built in 1937, on about .15 of an acre. The kitchen hasn't been remodeled in 30 years, and neither has the bathroom. It needs a new roof, new siding (I swore I would NEVER buy a house with vinyl siding, but. . . ), new retaining wall (the original one is groaning under all that snow we've been having), new garage door, new ceilings in the basement and the living room. We probably need a new sewer line, too, but are hoping against hope that the original one will hold out for a few more years. We give a percentage of our income to others. We try not to be too selfish.

Our next-door neighbors are professionals, as well. Their house is similar to ours--same size--but a bit more updated in the kitchen and baths and basement. They paid nearly $500,000 for it three years ago. It needs a new paint job, but they can't afford it.

This is the reality of the so-called "middle class" in many parts of the country. Compared to the way most of the rest of the world lives, a dream life--to be sure--but in terms of the specifically "American" dream, hardly a life of "entitlement."

No, it ain't Communist China, but the "free market" that decides my pay is a broken market. Not that that isn't obvious these days, but. . . .

Old 02-12-2009, 08:24 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You did a great job making all the points that Wal-Mart Watch wanted you to make!!! Good job! Gosh, I don't know how they did it, but the unions put up a couple of websites, posted a lot of nasty things about one retailer, and now everybody believes everything they said to be true, and evidently nothing changes at Wal-Mart, either. They don't pay their employees more than they did ten years ago, they don't offer better benefits, and wow, they're the ones to blame for the economy going global. I don't know why we ever bothered to sell our products internationally. We should have always just imported those few things we needed, and then kept everything we made right here in the US of A. Because when we sell our products overseas, that's supporting a global economy. And when we build factories overseas, that's giving people jobs in those countries, enabling them to make money so they'll buy American products. And when we see that they can make the same products more cheaply than we can, so cheaply that it's more cost-effective to make the products abroad and bring them back to sell here, we can blame Wal-Mart because our labor costs are so high. Let's close Wal-Mart down. Because then we can really plunge our economy into a depression, one that was made in America!

A politico?

The political culture in America is definitely afraid of a huge surplus of unemployment so therefore could care less about such issues as wages, benefits and fairness to employees as long they are employed.

The general theme of your post exemplifies this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies