Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:14 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Still waiting for all of that factual information you have. I've given you a plethora of documents, given you some ideas to bail yourself out of your plight yet Walmart is the devil to you. You have degrees but worry about Walmart? I just don't get it.

I got laid off 3 months ago, 1 week later I'm making more money and thriving at a new job. Adapt or sit at home and whine about it. You can do it but I doubt you will.

This comment by you speaks VOLUMES. YOU ARE ENTITLED because YOU ARE YOU. I've changed my mind. I don't feel sorry for you. You are either in a serious funk or out of your mind.

You are the grasshopper in the story book of the Ant and the Grasshopper. The world does NOT owe you a living.

I still can't believe this post. It has Communism written all over it.
You've given no evidence whatsoever which disproves the points I've made about Wal-Mart--all of which are common knowledge. I worry about Wal-Mart because I understand the extent to which it has crippled American business in this country.

I have a job. Why would I look for another one?

What is your deal with "entitlement"? You earlier accused me of being "entitled" because I was born here. What, exactly, is the reasoning behind this? Do you feel less "entitled" because you are an immigrant and not a native American? I don't understand you.

And the comment about "Communism" is bizarre. Are you an immigrant from an Eastern European nation or something? Because Eastern European immigrants tend to fetishize American capitalism to a rather unhealthy degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Walmart is providing jobs and stimulus to the economy. This company is vital to the working poor, both in terms of where they shop and where they work.

-snip-

Why is this staple of the American economy so villified by the Left?
America's leftists won't buy Chinese-made products but will support a government who will borrow on Monday much of the money needed for the $790 billion stimulus from China. Go figure.

That's $790,000,000,000! This reminds me of the old astronomy poster that used to hang in the hallway of my alma mater:

Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM

63 posts, read 109,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
America's leftists won't buy Chinese-made products but will support a government who will borrow on Monday much of the money needed for the $790 billion stimulus from China. Go figure.

That's $790,000,000,000! This reminds me of the old astronomy poster that used to hang in the hallway of my alma mater:

Hahahahaha, good one High Plains, oh, by the way, High Plains Drifter is one of my husbands fav movies, just an FYI!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
You've given no evidence whatsoever which disproves the points I've made about Wal-Mart--all of which are common knowledge. I worry about Wal-Mart because I understand the extent to which it has crippled American business in this country.
You realize that the very same economists who now espouse the virtues of the stimulus are some of the very same economists that a few years ago raved about the BENEFIT Wal-Mart provided to the US economy. In fact, just a couple years ago a liberal think tank drew ire because it's economists stated that Wal-Mart did more for the average American than a 10% tax cut. Their analysis pissed off the union advocates and other nuts who think that lower prices and competition are a bad thing.

I am also curious as to the common knowledge you refer to. Please elaborate.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""Labor costs are generally the biggest cost in any business. In manufacturing, if you drive the labor costs too high, then the business has to price the product out of the reach of most people. ""

So you don't count executives as "labor"...if you do then I agree.

In my friends company there is no union...they have had no raises for3-5 years, they had to take wage cuts, lost shift differential, lost paid days off, and lost hours....call that TEAM effort ??? NO, the company has acted like the adversary...and individuals have NO say..NONE...with a union to bacl them up they wopuld have a say...there IS power in numbers.

NO union member is interested in destroying an employer...that's pretty self defeating.....they just want rights and justice for their members....those against unions helped put our country where it is now....
No union member may be interested in destroying an employer, but the actions of unions do damage employers, sometimes to the point of forcing them to close, or move off-shore. We've seen that happen, repeatedly, in the last forty years. But instead of owning up to the fact that there is a point where unions push a company too hard, unions have successfully waged a campaign against Wal-Mart, suggesting that a retailer is responsible for the off-shoring of manufacturing jobs. Jobs started drifting off-shore years before Wal-Mart's low price strategy had an impact. When the steelworkers started being laid off because American steel was too expensive, and Russian steel was cheap. Was that Wal-Mart's fault, or did the labor costs of producing American steel, the best in the world, just push American steel into that zone where the cost was prohibitive. Why did Emerson Electric move the bulk of its manufacturing to Mexico? Why are the major car manufacturers in trouble?

I'm not trying to demonize unions. But they are in the business of drawing resources from a business and allocating those resources in the hands of workers. That can be good, if the business can restrict that resource flow and maintain its profitability. But the union will always fight to expand that resource flow, and eventually the profitability of the business cannot be maintained. The union is a business, too, it takes it's cut in that resource flow. And as a business it survives by acquiring new members, by taking its attacks to new businesses. Unions can do good things for its members, but those good things are seductive. Union members often don't or won't see the warning signs that the company is failing. They'll hold on until the company is gone, and then they willingly blame whomever the union says is at fault. The greedy owners, that terrible Wal-Mart, the global economy. Let's be fair, the owners aren't the only greedy people around.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No union member may be interested in destroying an employer, but the actions of unions do damage employers, sometimes to the point of forcing them to close, or move off-shore. We've seen that happen, repeatedly, in the last forty years. But instead of owning up to the fact that there is a point where unions push a company too hard, unions have successfully waged a campaign against Wal-Mart, suggesting that a retailer is responsible for the off-shoring of manufacturing jobs. Jobs started drifting off-shore years before Wal-Mart's low price strategy had an impact. When the steelworkers started being laid off because American steel was too expensive, and Russian steel was cheap. Was that Wal-Mart's fault, or did the labor costs of producing American steel, the best in the world, just push American steel into that zone where the cost was prohibitive. Why did Emerson Electric move the bulk of its manufacturing to Mexico? Why are the major car manufacturers in trouble?

I'm not trying to demonize unions. But they are in the business of drawing resources from a business and allocating those resources in the hands of workers. That can be good, if the business can restrict that resource flow and maintain its profitability. But the union will always fight to expand that resource flow, and eventually the profitability of the business cannot be maintained. The union is a business, too, it takes it's cut in that resource flow. And as a business it survives by acquiring new members, by taking its attacks to new businesses. Unions can do good things for its members, but those good things are seductive. Union members often don't or won't see the warning signs that the company is failing. They'll hold on until the company is gone, and then they willingly blame whomever the union says is at fault. The greedy owners, that terrible Wal-Mart, the global economy. Let's be fair, the owners aren't the only greedy people around.
And the union leaders do this while retaining their own lifestyle. How many union BA's have you seen out of work? How many Union reps and upper management have you seen in the unemployment lines?
I've seen none (every time I was out of work) but there's plenty of workers there right now isn't there?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 AM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

I have a job. Why would I look for another one?

What is your deal with "entitlement"? You earlier accused me of being "entitled" because I was born here. What, exactly, is the reasoning behind this? Do you feel less "entitled" because you are an immigrant and not a native American? I don't understand you.

And the comment about "Communism" is bizarre. Are you an immigrant from an Eastern European nation or something? Because Eastern European immigrants tend to fetishize American capitalism to a rather unhealthy degree.
I'm going to agree to disagree. This is going in circles.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:00 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Quote:

The old "labor should be malleable" argument....

Let's get right to it and use the reductionist method, shall we?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
The old "labor should be malleable" argument....

Let's get right to it and use the reductionist method, shall we?
Let's get snarky, shall we?

Are you trying to add to the discussion, or only to discredit my posts? If you're trying to discredit my posts, then actually argue against them. I don't think unions are bad, but I have to wonder whether union members who paid their dues really want that money to go to Wal-Mart Watch and Wake-Up Wal-Mart campaigns that are designed to damage a large American company. I mean millions are being spent to attack this corporation, to destroy its reputation. And that helps who????

Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM

67 posts, read 99,441 times
Quote:
Let's get snarky, shall we?

Are you trying to add to the discussion, or only to discredit my posts? If you're trying to discredit my posts, then actually argue against them. I don't think unions are bad, but I have to wonder whether union members who paid their dues really want that money to go to Wal-Mart Watch and Wake-Up Wal-Mart campaigns that are designed to damage a large American company. I mean millions are being spent to attack this corporation, to destroy its reputation. And that helps who????
Listen up, Walmart undercuts all the competition by paying the workers low wages. Unions help to prevent that. Im not saying unions are all good, they obviously are also driven by money in the form of dues and have some political ties.
However, have you ever heard of anyone being able to support a family or themselves for that matter working at walmart?They put other businesses out of business thus decreasing the overall income in areas.Walmart is a cancer. A big fish gobbleing up all the little ones. See if those prices stay low when all thats left is walmart to shop at.It seems like there is a walmart every 2miles where I live, which i dont think should be allowed.But, cities gain revenue in the form of taxes when big bussinesses like walmart move in, so they tend to turn a blind eye to the fact that they are monopolizing. Also walmart will donate to govt. funded relief projects in order to gain support,(ex.Hurricane Katrina), not because the company does it out of the goodness of their blackheart.Besides its a writeoff.
one more thing, unions also allow for a pension, decent medical coverage, make it harder for employers to fire you for any little reason,and you can retire sooner.But without a union, I suppose I can always be a greeter at walmart in my golden years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies