Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
There are many mail order pharmacy's that can provide your meds within a 24 hour period with just ONE phone call. I used one for quite a while for my medication. The only reason I stopped is my meds are very sensitive to heat and cold, and I did not feel comfortable having such a sensitive med shipped.
And how did you pay for it?

Rural women comprise a significant portion of the below-poverty level population in this country. Do you think they all have credit cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What if that pharmacy is the only one within an hour drive?

Then they're denying medicine to someone who could need it, urgently.

Then it sounds like a good opportunity for someone to open another pharmacy and be successful.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Then it sounds like a good opportunity for someone to open another pharmacy and be successful.
How do you figure that a sparse population is going to support multiple pharmacies?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And what about the women who don't live in a major city? It's rural areas where a pharmacist is more likely to have a religious issue over contraception, and rural areas don't have pharmacies on every corner. So your post suggests that rural women don't count?
I'm not so sure about that! Having lived in a rural area, I can tell you rural people have their resources. Many just go to the next large town/city. Rural people don't usually depend on a local pharmacy in a tiny town to get their meds. Isn't plan B OTC anyway, for people over 18?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I don't really have a problem with someone refusing to fill a prescription that they are so strongly against. However, their rights do not trump mine. If a pharmacy carries a medication that is legally perscribed by a doctor, the pharmacy needs to have staff on hand who will fill it. That may mean two or more pharmacists working at any given time, regardless of the amount of business the pharmacy does. That probably won't make the business owner happy, and could result in lower wages for the pharmacists to make up for the need to have extra staff.
If a pharmacy has a staff member who refuses to fill contrapceptive/abortifacient prescriptions, then they should have someone who will fill them, as well, but not necessarily right there on the premises at all times. It is not unreasonable to ask the customer to come back later to get the med. Even now, when you call in a prescription for something as innocuous as blood pressure medication, you may have to wait.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yes and no. It is a higher dose than regular BCPs, and it is taken in a different way.You get a different rx than your 21 active pills plus 7 placebos, sig "take one every day". This bill does not seem to be talking about that, it's talking about Plan B, take two pills starting within 72 hrs of having sex.

Drug Information for Plan B Oral - WebMD

Walgreens | Plan B Side Effects | Ask a Pharmacist

"The emergency contraceptive Plan B is made from levonorgestrel—a common ingredient of many birth control pills." (Note not all)

Birth control pill FAQ: Benefits, risks and choices - MayoClinic.com

"There is a special type of contraceptive pill that's specifically designed to keep you from becoming pregnant if you've had unprotected vaginal intercourse. An emergency contraception pill (Plan B) — also called the "morning-after pill" — contains a higher dose of progestin than is found in other birth control pills and is available over-the-counter for women age 18 and older"
The higher dose is simply 3 pills instead of 1. It's basically the same thing as a woman filling a script for a certain type of BC pill. See attached link.

Emergency Contraception: Pill brands, doses, and instructions

Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that! Having lived in a rural area, I can tell you rural people have their resources. Many just go to the next large town/city. Rural people don't usually depend on a local pharmacy in a tiny town to get their meds. Isn't plan B OTC anyway, for people over 18?
It's OTC, but you have to ask the Pharmacist for it. You can't just take it off of a shelf.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How do you figure that a sparse population is going to support multiple pharmacies?

After they refuse to fill BC prescrips the population will get larger, leading to more people to support the new pharmacy?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The higher dose is simply 3 pills instead of 1. It's basically the same thing as a woman filling a script for a certain type of BC pill. See attached link.

Emergency Contraception: Pill brands, doses, and instructions
You don't get my point. I knew all that stuff anyway. More than 30 years ago, I worked in a student health center where we carried BCPs that we used for that purpose.

The point is, "Plan B" is a prescription, OTC or otherwise, for a medication to be taken as an emergency measure. In my experience at the health center, the "emergency" was usually having sex w/o using any birth control, not BC failure.

Birth control pills are contraceptives to prevent pregnancy.

You are arguing about the chemical composition of the medication, which I agree, is the same. But the dose is different; intent is different.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
And some of them don't have cars. So going to the next large town/city is something that has to be worked out with friends, neighbors, family.

This issue has come up before on this forum. I think there is a balance that has to be made here. If a pharmacy carries medications that a pharmacist who works there has moral objections to, that pharmacist has an obligation to inform the pharmacy before being hired. The pharmacy can then have qualified staff available to dispense the medications when the objecting pharmacist is on duty, or they can choose to hire a different pharmacist. Pharmacies that choose not to carry certain medications have an obligation to inform the community, both the medical community and the general public community of their policies up front. In communities that are limited to just one or two pharmacies (like mine), then the communities themselves should pass laws compelling the pharmacies to make available commonly prescribed medications and to dispense them accordingly. In those small communities, the availability of prescription medicines becomes a vital public health issue. It is an issue that goes beyond abortion/birth control rights, as there may be other medications for completely different reasons that a pharmacist is opposed to. The rights of the citizens as a whole to have access to their prescription medicines trumps the rights of the pharmacist. It's much easier for one pharmacist to move to a more urban area where he is free to exercise his moral judgments, than it is for however many women he is denying prescription services to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies