Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,686 times

Advertisements

I'll know I have enough money when I stop getting excited when I find a $5 dollar bill in the washing machine.

I will also walk nonchalantly by all those pennies I see in the parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I don't understand this. What does 'too much money' mean?

too much money means, you have no idea how much you really have total.

no more no less.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM

78,324 posts, read 60,517,579 times
My answer....when you don't balance your checkbook...you just eyeball the balance when you go to the ATM.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
I was with you, and thought you had your priorities well in line until you got to #11, the powerball ticket, proof positive that you are really really bad at math, as is everyone that pays the "I'm bad at math tax" a.k.a., state looteries.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I agree, but I also think it is human nature to want bigger and better. If it were human nature to just settle for what they had, then we would still be living in caves, and still have square wheels.
no argument here. but it is necessary to keep those wants in check.

subsound said it pretty well:
Quote:
There's always an infinite number of wants, and a finite amount of resources.
my wife and i just bought a house a while ago; we moved on to bigger and better things. i also just upgraded my old pc to a very slick mac powerbook and the entire adobe cs3 suite. those were definite bigger and better things.

but we only achieved them through meticulous budgeting. we live on a self-imposed allowance of $40 per month to spend on fast food, books, toys, movies, etc, and put the rest to savings and payments to our mortgage (paying as much as we can every month, by the way, not the minimum).

years from now, we hope that our budgeting will have improved our lives considerably, and that our discipline and slightly more spartan lifestyle will have taught us and out children to be responsible, to value simple things, and to be grateful for what you have.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I'll know I have enough money when I stop getting excited when I find a $5 dollar bill in the washing machine.

I will also walk nonchalantly by all those pennies I see in the parking lots.
Your penny comment reminded me of a discussion I had with some fellow co-workers a few years ago. The question in that discussion was if you had a 40 hour a week job doing nothing but picking up coins from the floor, one at a time, and putting them in a waist high bucket. . . what would be the smallest denomination of coin you would do the job for?

Now that I am in my sixties and have a bad back and a replacement knee and hip it would probably have to be bills instead of coins LOL.

GL2

Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
I know I'll have ENOUGH money when I can stop balancing expenditures on the house payment, heat, and food!

Seriously, I pay the house payment first, (I can hunt, grow, and make my own food, or do without stuff) then the gas and electric bill. Everything else just falls in line after that. We don't do a whole lot of frivolous. When I get a little ahead, I buy things like chicken wire so I can make a chicken run, and seeds and seed starting pots to grow my own vegies. I'll spend a little each check to keep the food storage going (things I can't make myself like yeast for the bread or flour or cocoa) and to keep things canned like jars and seals. I don't spend much or often. Pre-chewed food doesn't cross the doorway, so most processed foods are out. Mostly I am happy to sit in my little corner of the world and make quilts and be by myself by the fire.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i think it is called satire, sarcasm, irony, or any number of other literary devices that could conceivably be a part of his intent.

i, for one, agree with him. many people seem to be unable to prioritize their money, and get in trouble because of it. it is almost like their brains do not have the capability to understand that something is out of their budget (using the term as loosely as i can), and/or is not something that they need or even really want.
What makes a difference is having experienced that bottom level of existance where the priorities are all too plain... where a roof over the head, food and the safety of family are all that matter. Once this becomes drummed into your head by circumstances all else becomes gravy, and this sense of being ready for that rainy day lives on as well. Look at the generation that grew up in the Great Depression. Their experiences conditioned them to think of necessities first, save for that emergency and have a clear idea of who and what matters.

At the end of this depression (when that comes) a lot of people who never had a clue will have learned that lesson.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:00 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Wink Too much money

Don't worry about what others do and do not judge what they do with their money. Find your comfort zone with money and life and live your life.

If you feel like going out to eat, do it. If you don't, that's fine too.

Live your life in a responsible manner and time will tell.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
I'll know I have too much money when purchasing creates stress rather than satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies