Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
He has been in office for three weeks. Do you realize that in a four year team, that is nothing.

Making the changes that Obama said he would takes time. It isnt going to happen in three weeks. It isnt going to happen in three months. It is going to happen over the course of his term. To expect it to happen overnight is naive and childish.

He started working immediately and has implemented many changes already. If you read the blog on whitehouse.gov everyday you can read about what is going on. There are only so many hours in a day.

If you think you can do a better job then run for POTUS in 2012.
Changes such as transparency and posting bills online days in advance for citizens and Congress to peruse do not take the time of which you speak.

Appointing legitimate people rather than insiders, lobbyists, and tax cheats does not take "time." You do those things from the onset. I think that is what people are speaking of, not fulfilling long term promises.

I'm a conservative, but I am all ready to rally behind our President because I WANT him to succeed. That doesn't mean I will look the other way when he doesn't follow through on his promises.

I WANT change because believe me, we need it. I just haven't seen a lot of change thus far.

BTW, I do think Pelosi is a thorn in the President's side. I sincerely believe there is a big power play going on between the two. Things aren't as cozy as they seem and I think the President would be more able to affect change if she wasn't around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Your telepathic powers are even poorer than your fact-finding powers, if that's imagineable. How tolerant of the juvenile dishonesty of Republicans are people supposed to be? How desensitized to their purposeful lying are we expected to become?

It doesn't matter if you just do it. Partisan Republicans (which when it comes down to it, seems to be just about all of them) will whine anyway. Say you're going to clean out the lobbyists that Bush allowed to hand the very reins of government over to corporations, and then there are hissyfits that your new FCC appointee was registered as a lobbyist "as recently as" 2001. Say we need to end this war in Iraq, and the whiners ask why we are still there three weeks after the Inauguration...this isn't the change America voted for...I really had high hopes...I'm so disappointed. What a load. Then there's all this PORK-parroting as if people were engaged in anything more than rote recitation of waht's been handed to them on right-wing websites. And here you are...trying to hold Obama and the Democrats to a promise that wasn't a promise at all but rather another propaganda ploy and attempt at a delaying tactic by Republicans. How much research did you do before posting that gem? Any? Or was it your job just to transport the report from Point-A to Point-B in as huffy a tone of faux outrage and indignation as you possibly could?

Of course it does. You all are merely engaged in the manufacture of fairy tales complaining that it doesn't. If fairy tale manufacture had a line in the GDP, this recession would be over.

I've been perusing. What happened to you? Would you actually have perused even if you knew where to go? I really don't think so, and I don't think any of the other whiners would have either. I think your whole point is simply to whine. Lord knows, you all have such a hard time in establishing any other...
I think you're being way too defensive saganista. People merely want to see what is going to be voted on in advance. That isn't too much to ask.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,974,039 times
This is straight from www.whitehouse.gov:

"As we've noted on the blog, the President has signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act and the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act. We've also published the DTV Delay Act of 2009.
Since a few questions have come in, we want to update you on the President's campaign commitment to introducing more sunlight into the lawmaking process by posting non-emergency legislation online for five days before signing it. This policy will be implemented in full soon; currently we are working through implementation procedures and some initial issues with the congressional calendar.
The President remains committed to bringing more transparency to government, and in this spirit the White House will continue to publish legislation expected to come to his desk online for public comment as it moves through Congress."

If you havent checked out whitehouse.gov and you are bitching about transparency then you need to go to that website and shut up. The blog is updated multiple times everyday.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times
Quote:
Of course it does. You all are merely engaged in the manufacture of fairy tales complaining that it doesn't. If fairy tale manufacture had a line in the GDP, this recession would be over.
I gave you a list of obama promises (ones that could/should have been implemented from the beginning, as Synopsis mentioned) and his miserable failure in implementing them.

Where is the fairy-tale in my list?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,999,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've been checking the White House site for bills awaiting the President's signature...

Anyone have a link?

I know during the campaign, President Obama made a point saying all Bills pending will be available to the public for comments...

I would like the link to.

I think it's fabulous. He's promised transparency and he's sticking to that promise.

Good for him!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,425,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where is the "disinformation"?
You have the nerve to ask after whining in faux outrage over a promise made by Obama that was not a promise and was not made by him?

Quote:
Obama promised transparency - we don't have it in the Porkapalooza Bill.
Every version of the bill (I think it's seven of them now) has been posted in full on the internet within hours of the ink first having dried.

Quote:
Obama promised no lobbyists in his administration - except the ones he needs a waiver for.
That's a good thing. The default for once is no. But you'll struggle to find the unqualified no that you pretend there to have been.

Quote:
Obama promised no "insiders" would be running his administration - it is full of insiders.
Insiders? Is that your word for knowledgable and experienced people? Dig up a cite where there's a promise of "no insiders".

Quote:
Obama promised appointees who are fresh and clean and good - he appoints tax-cheats instead.
No tax cheats. People who have had to pay back taxes as the result of errors, oversights, misinterpretations, and misunderstandings. This happens to hundreds of thousands of taxpayers every year. We have a voluntary system. The taxpayer says okay, this is how much I think I owe. Often, the taxpayer is wrong and is corrected by the IRS.

Quote:
Obama promised a new era of bipartisanship - the dems shut out the republicans in the Porkapalooza Bill
No, that's more disinformation.

Quote:
Obama promised to end Bush's policies on detainees - he is keeping the rendition policy and opinion that you can keep detainees indefinately.
No Gitmo. No torture. Rendition held in limbo. Indefinite detention was tossed by the Supreme Court.

Quote:
Obama promised to put aside partisan wrangling -
And he's bent over backwards to approach and involve Republicans, but unless he himself rolls over and playts dead, they aren't interested. They're only interested it seems in further delaying and lying.

Quote:
he usurped the office of the census and gave it to Rahm to politicize.
No, he wants reporting to his chief of staff as well as to the Census chief. There is no attempt to politicize. That's Republican name-calling at work. Meanwhile, they are doing everything they can to insist upon outmoded procedures that happen to be of partisan advantage to them...

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,771,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've been checking the White House site for bills awaiting the President's signature...

Anyone have a link?

I know during the campaign, President Obama made a point saying all Bills pending will be available to the public for comments...
Are there any bills currently awaiting the President's signature?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You have the nerve to ask after whining in faux outrage over a promise made by Obama that was not a promise and was not made by him?

Every version of the bill (I think it's seven of them now) has been posted in full on the internet within hours of the ink first having dried.

That's a good thing. The default for once is no. But you'll struggle to find the unqualified no that you pretend there to have been.

Insiders? Is that your word for knowledgable and experienced people? Dig up a cite where there's a promise of "no insiders".

No tax cheats. People who have had to pay back taxes as the result of errors, oversights, misinterpretations, and misunderstandings. This happens to hundreds of thousands of taxpayers every year. We have a voluntary system. The taxpayer says okay, this is how much I think I owe. Often, the taxpayer is wrong and is corrected by the IRS.

No, that's more disinformation.

No Gitmo. No torture. Rendition held in limbo. Indefinite detention was tossed by the Supreme Court.

And he's bent over backwards to approach and involve Republicans, but unless he himself rolls over and playts dead, they aren't interested. They're only interested it seems in further delaying and lying.

No, he wants reporting to his chief of staff as well as to the Census chief. There is no attempt to politicize. That's Republican name-calling at work. Meanwhile, they are doing everything they can to insist upon outmoded procedures that happen to be of partisan advantage to them...
saganista, your credibility is in question when every single post you have discredits those from the other side of the political spectrum. That, in addition to your signature stating "keep the illegals, deport the Republicans" demonstrates a lack of ability to rationally discuss ideas that differ from your own.

The last 8 years have been disappointing to say the least, IMO. I am able to say that with every bit of conviction. Will you ever be able to criticize those of your political persuasion? From what I've read thus far, I sincerely doubt that.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,216,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Do you people have any idea how childish you sound?

Daddy said he was gonna do this, daddy said he was gonna do that. Wah, wah, wah.

Newsflash: "Daddy" inherited a whole sh*tload of Republican fallout. The economy tanked only a couple of months before he took office. If you seriously believe that Obama is now going to be able to do HALF of what he wanted to do, you live in la-la land. Instead, he has to devote the next 2 years--at least--trying to clean up the complete nightmare your precious little Texas cowboy left behind. And he's going to have to find a way to do while the Republican sh*theads in Congress try to take him down any way they can.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. I've never seen a group of Americans so hateful and vicious towards their President. It would be one thing if this President had been in office for years, and had caused life to spiral down for the American people, but he's been in office for THREE WEEKS, and you can't spit on him fast enough. Sickening. Meanwhile, the President and Party who actually DID almost take down our country? You know, the one you VOTED FOR? TWICE. Give me a fu*king break. Disgusting.
Not to worry, the upursulus package is in good hands...

Congressional Offices Don't Have the Stimulus Bill, Lobbyists Do

Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,294,244 times
Can anyone furnish the link for any legislative bills awaiting the President's signing...in particular the stimulus package that Congress will be voting on?

Obama promised to post bills for 5 days on the White House website before signing into law for public comments. The White House website is up, but I don't see any links to pending bills awaiting the President's signing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies