Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the US collapse in the next four years?
No, it can't happen. The country is too strong. 49 27.37%
It could happen, but it's very unlikely 69 38.55%
Yes. But it would only be for a short time. 22 12.29%
Yes, and it would be all over. 39 21.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 PM

229 posts, read 347,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I say no. The country has been through tougher times and it's still here.

Also, witness what happened after 9-11. People came together. It didn't matter whether they were conservatives or liberals or total polar opposites, they were united. Americans have their differences, but mostly they pretty much identify themselves as Americans first and other groups second.
Some people came together on 9/11. Many people showed their true colors by setting up false charities and bleeding them dry. Many more jumped on the "patriotic" bandwagon and allowed our government to bleed our rights from us. I do not see such a positive outlook. I congratulate you on your optimism. I look around at the world and do not see the same as some do. Given enough time, just about everyone turns bad. The idea seems to be to get away with as much as possible at the expense of others. As long as they get what they want, who cares about others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM

18,842 posts, read 14,027,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
How do you have capitalism without capital? How do you have capital without usury? The "free flow" of capital inevitably creates profiteers or speculators who are particularly clever at manipulating and diverting some of that flow into their pockets.
Capitalism only means the private ownership of land, houses, tools, chattels, etc.

Usurers have adopted terminology that leads one to assume that usury means capitalism.

An example of non-usury investment:
Farmer "invests" seeds, reaps harvest.
Herdsman "invests" cattle, reaps calves.

One can certainly receive gain from investment. The key factor is not to demand the gain in money, which requires a growing supply of money.

For example, if one invests money with a restaurateur, it would not be usury if the "gain" was denominated in meals or other related services that the restaurant could provide. Such a return on investment does not require more money to exist.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Capitalism only means the private ownership of land, houses, tools, chattels, etc.

Usurers have adopted terminology that leads one to assume that usury means capitalism.

An example of non-usury investment:
Farmer "invests" seeds, reaps harvest.
Herdsman "invests" cattle, reaps calves.

One can certainly receive gain from investment. The key factor is not to demand the gain in money, which requires a growing supply of money.

For example, if one invests money with a restaurateur, it would not be usury if the "gain" was denominated in meals or other related services that the restaurant could provide. Such a return on investment does not require more money to exist.
Without usury (interest), what incentive would there be to invest in a savings account, buy a mortgage, provide working capital, or a myriad of other investment vehicles. I am aware that some have asserted that equity investments could replace interest bearing loans. But that's not true. Equty investments carry inherently higher risk, but an investor can earn more. However, not everyone wishes that. There are some who desire a safer investment, but not to the extent of simply holding cash. Harold Covington has spoken at length about this point in his novels and other writings. I just don't see the seeds of social decay here. I see usury as simply a voluntary agreement among two or more persons. If there were coercion, it would be something very different. But coercion, absent a physical threat is not easy to define.

Let people make the agreements they wish as long as it only directly affects the parties to the agreement.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 67,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Dude, Bush was criticized for his idiocy, not for his whiteness...
True, but my comment stands.
The point was that people were calling others racist for simply being anti-obama (not for his being 'of color'), and still are.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,411,249 times
Default Will the US government collapse in the next four years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If America experiences currency collapse, breakdown of government services, unending civil disruptions, and shortages of necessary goods and services, do you believe the whole thing could fall apart?

Wyoming is a beautiful, uncrowded state. You should be happier.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,450,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Question: If you have 90 day supply of food and water then you have a good chance of survival due to most of the population dieing off or resorting to canablism. Do you think the FEMA camps that are in the stimulus package are to keep people in or out?

It really will be good to have plenty of weapons. If it gets down to eat or be eaten, a good self-defense will be imperative.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If America experiences currency collapse, breakdown of government services, unending civil disruptions, and shortages of necessary goods and services, do you believe the whole thing could fall apart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Wyoming is a beautiful, uncrowded state. You should be happier.

What makes you think I'm displeased with the prospect? If government forces are occupied in the cities, people in rural areas will very likely live their lives with no interference, as they did in earlier times. Many people like the prospect and always have.

Immigrants from Europe came here for many reasons, but most of them were content to stay in the settled coastal ares. But there were some who moved beyond the settled areas, fought the Indians, and built independent lives. More than a few pushed farther west when civilization reached them.

I might only live for a day in this country with the government far off or gone. But as long as I'm alive, I will live.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:20 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,628,624 times
We have 2 million in the military, how many people does it take to control a city like New York for 24 hours a day, men on every corner. We do not have the manpower, the police will be at home protecting their own families if riots, and looting break out. The inner cities will become death traps, especially when food cannot be delivered.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
We have 2 million in the military, how many people does it take to control a city like New York for 24 hours a day, men on every corner. We do not have the manpower, the police will be at home protecting their own families if riots, and looting break out. The inner cities will become death traps, especially when food cannot be delivered.
Why do you say, "We do not have the manpower," ? It is They. I assure that the government forces will not consider you as We. If you're not one of them, they'll herd you into a camp with every other person who is not a member of the military or the ruling class, that is, elite government employees and their allies in business and academia.

They won't need to control whole cities, just green zones as they do in Iraq. But there are enough population centers that that should keep them busy enough.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:24 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,201,192 times
Will the US government collapse in the next four years?

The government collapsed just days prior to the Nov'08 election with the cash and carry bailout. We're just going thru death rattles now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies