Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times

Advertisements

bentlebee, I guess everybody who voted against it read it cover to cover too?
Give it a rest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Do we all have voted for Senators to act on behalf of the people of their State and do the best they can by voting "yes' on a bill that they haven't read!

Unbelievable...some have stated that they had some people do the reading for them, but over 1100 pages which they received after 11 pm and started voting the next morning or afternoon and the last Senator was at his families side the whole day due to a death in the family...and still able to vote "yes" because he was on a private plane paid by "us" the tax payers, because Obama, Pelosi and Reid needed to get this bill excepted...the last Senator for sure read all the 1100 pages...

What will be their excuses when the $ 8.- a week stimulus isn't helping the people and they will figure out that is all they are getting.......

I guess Obama's popularity is going down the drain sooner than later....and he is only 3 weeks in office, what else is he going to push through...health care ins. mandatory to be paid for ....

Obama promissed during his campaign that the people would have a chance to read every bill since he didn't want to do what the previous cabinet has done...well Obama proved again what a big lier he is and he is caught on tape!
I seriously doubt if Senators (or Congressmen) read more than 1 or 2% of any bills (if that) in their entirety before voting...

This ridiculous flak about this bill being voted on without being read in it's entirety is nothing more than Hannity and Limbaugh talking points for their imbicile minions...

You can tell who the brain-dead right wing hate-radio afficionados are by their regurgitating those talking points on this issue.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM

492 posts, read 961,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
How many of them do you think read the deceptively named Patriot Act before they voted for it?
Obviously the ones that got re-elected.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
hmm maybe a Senator or Congressmen could secretly insert a line into a future bill that forced all of them to read all bills in its entirety before voting....they would never suspect it
Holy s--t. Can you run in the next elections because you literally would cause one of those weird space time continum (or something like that) things that happen in shows like Star Trek.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
I guess I don't see this as a partisan issue - it's not who did and who didn't and how many times before and all that finger-pointing...

Stop for just a moment and consider how ridiculous it sounds (reads) that anyone would sign something so significant (or anything, for that matter) without fully understanding the ramifications - and we as the general public can sit back and say, ah, that's alright...they have our best interests in mind.

LALALALALA...

Not right then, not right now. I think we have all qualified ourselves as naive.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Grow up. War and Peace, one of the longest novels written was 1400 pages. Do you honestly expect Senators to be read the 1100 pages of the bill? They vote on multiple bills several days each week. They must read each one according to your logic?
Wow. So you expect them to just pass legislation without reading it? BTW, YES I DO expect my elected representatives to read ever single letter of the 1100 page bill.

It's nonsense like what you suggest that has gotten this country into a huge mess.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
YouTube - Barack Obama "Public Will Have 5 Days To Look At Every Bill That Lands On My Desk"

Here is The One promising 5 days online for a bill before he signs it.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its the leasdership that didn't want them to read it by design. Its funny that they say it needs to be rushed and then the administraion says they can't rush the treasury plan ;it will be several weeks at least.Total confusion ;it seems.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,212 times
It is immoral for any member of congress to pass any legislation without being able to handle a question and answer period following. How dare these presumptuous pork and paper pushers impose any kind of taxation and restrictions on economic and personal liberties without first taking an effort to understand the implications. Whether it's the patriot act or this stimulus bill or countless others unnecessary expenditures, they, high on their elite horses expect the taxpayer to bend over and take another shaft.
Hopefully Celente is right and a property tax revolt is coming.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
They should, but many of them won't. It's always been this way. The Navajo people, by the thousands, were forced off their land, and the land given to the energy companies. I saw an interview with one senator, who basically admitted that "most members of Congress didn't understand the situation, so we just deferred to the senators from Arizona about the matter." Because of their willful ignorance, a bill was passed which forever deprived the Navajo of their own land. And they have never been compensated, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies