Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
ROLFAO!

Dude, I've been to Harlan County and other parts of West Virginia, you can believe that delusional nonsense if you like but anyone that has been near the place knows better.
So have I. I lived 18 years in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 PM

416 posts, read 712,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Appalachia is a culture , a way of life since the beginning of this Country. Don't confuse that with Urban ghettos , which , need to be wiped out, nothing worth while there , but crime , poverty , drugs , and systemic drain on our society. ... Appalachia is all about education , we need to break the recurring cycle of bad , while still retaining their heritage, and proud independent ways.
Education? Can you elaborate?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw95 View Post
Apparently people that don't live in WV and KY don't understand much about the places here.... I am proud to say that I live in West Virginia! Dianne Sawyer must not have done much research! Yes, there are drugs, and there are kids that need homes, and that have parents on welfare... Isn't it like that everywhere??? But, there are many, many more that have parents that work hard everyday to provide for them. I am one of those! My husband and I both work and have what we need and what our children need and WANT! No we might not get to dress up and go on TV and get paid to throw off on people that are less fortunate than we are. Having said that, they couldn't pay me enough money to do that!!!! I hope she understands how many people she is hurting by doing that interview! Yes, there are drug addicts, EVERYWHERE in the US! Not just in KY, and WV. I wouldn't live in NY if they bought me a house and handed me the keys! I bet she can't leave her house without locking the doors! I do everyday.. I am thankful for the neighborhood that i live in.... Here is an interesting website to checkout... It is from a teacher in KY.... He did his research!
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXG7q11OBCQ"]YouTube - The Hidden America Uncovered[/URL]
i give you the up.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What?! Poor white people!? Impossible. If only these Appalachians knew how far their white privilege would take them "on the outside world," they'd be set. /sarcasm

I've always felt very sorry for the deeply impoverished white people of Appalachia. For "poor people of color," (which may or may not include Hispanics, which may or may not be a real minority group) there's always an excuse to fall back on in explaining or rationalizing their condition in the form of the great oppressive society, racism, etc. that MADE them that way. If not for that great oppressive society, they'd be doctors and lawyers and scientists and have no crime or social problems.

For poor whites, however, nobody ever makes an excuse for them. The prevailing opinion is that they did it to themselves. No systemic instutional/structural/inherent identity politics Stay poor and die, that sort of thing. They are to be ridiculed, and it's not Un-PC to do so.
Are you SURE about that? I always thought poor whites just LIKED poverty. I recall a moving sociological mini-series years ago about an impoverished family of white rustics who seemed to REVEL in their poverty...almost like a fierce pride.

In the beginning of the story, Jed Clampett, instant cabin-dwelling multi-millionaire, was considering a move to California..His sister-in-law said, "Jed, THINK about it...you live eight miles up a goat-path from your nearest neighbor....you can see the daylight through your walls....your house is open to the elements, you have to draw your water from a creek, you cook on a wood stove, and your bathroom is 50 feet outside your door".

Clampett thought a bit, then allowed "Yeaaaah..you're right. A man would have to be a FOOL to leave all this".

Are you telling me now that Poor Whites DON'T like poverty? That poverty 'sucks' regardless of race? That white people don't WANT to be poor?

Are you SURE ??

Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Education? Can you elaborate?
The Coal Companies should have been more civic minded , instead of exploiting the locals. You just go into these places , and you see whats happened. Not all of mountain towns are like that ether. I once took a slow ride up US 23 all the way to Ohio , from east TN. I interviewed the people , ate with them , and swapped stories. Most everyone was in agreement , education is the biggest problem... some folks have been used to a negative lifestyle , generation after generation.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM

416 posts, read 712,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Coal Companies should have been more civic minded , instead of exploiting the locals. You just go into these places , and you see whats happened. Not all of mountain towns are like that ether. I once took a slow ride up US 23 all the way to Ohio , from east TN. I interviewed the people , ate with them , and swapped stories. Most everyone was in agreement , education is the biggest problem... some folks have been used to a negative lifestyle , generation after generation.
I see. This is also a big problem in inner cities...do I smell potential for an unlikely alliance?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
But ask them to give you a stat about white men or women. They don't know any

That could be simply because lawmakers and the pc (politically correct) groups don't focus on Whites living in poverty. Their focus always goes to minorities. Don't ya know all us white folks are filthy rich? Yeah, sure.
Jesus Christ you are ignorant. Appalachia is something like 80%-90% white and has been the text book case of white rural poverty for the last 80 years or so.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal

Are you telling me now that Poor Whites DON'T like poverty? That poverty 'sucks' regardless of race? That white people don't WANT to be poor?

Are you SURE ??

Any poor white person with half a mind would JUMP at the chance to have their own concrete pond behind a house 3 feet from their neighbor's house.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I see. This is also a big problem in inner cities...do I smell potential for an unlikely alliance?
In results maybe. However , the Mountain people , as a culture , have been there a long time. left alone , they would not have had the problems that the Big coal Companies brought to them, and their environment. Native Americans can resemble this as well , before the white man destroyed their natural way of life.

I know , apples and oranges , but in the end , the results are the same. The urban ghettos , have multiplying effects , as a magnet bringing people together , not because of some opportunity for employment , but because the lack there of. yes , the way of life does also become systemic.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Apologies if this has been said, but:

Oxycontin is not a simple painkiller. It's an opiate (like morphine) and tightly controlled. The thing is, "Oxy" is a high dose held in a matrix that the body only breaks down slowly, making it a continuously released low dose. But the matrix can be destroyed if the pill is crushed into powder, leaving just a high dose of the drug. It's a favorite of addicts.
Unfortunately it's only tightly controlled by the DEA. Yes it's a C-2 drug but there are many people out there who're either very good cons or docs that will write a script for a dead person so people who shouldn't be getting it do and then sell it.
I've seen many people who IMO do just that.
As for Rush L. I believe he was hooked on Hydrocodone/APAP (aka Vicodin,Lortab).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies