Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When you come back with a fact based and rational argument instead of a rant then we might have some basis for a discussion. Until then...
I'll keep you advised....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm confused. So, all these people that seem to loathe government in any way shape or form & would rather see it to the point of nonexistence, what exactly is the government for then? To JUST provide military to ensure the safety of its citizens? Is that the ONLY thing government is for? So there should be no involvement whatsoever, it should not provide any sort of assistance for ANYTHING or ANYONE? Why then do we government?
Ideally, government should be used to "do things" we as indivuals cannot....fight wars, build interstate highways, regulate commerce, engage in foreign policy, etc.
Government should NOT be expected to raise families, keep fathers in the home, support the idle, make kids 'want to learn', or 'make our lives whole'. Sounds good, but that's just not what governments are for. Not only THAT, but government will PROBABLY (and usually DOES) 'botch' any such 'personal' areas. I don't want the government 'raising my kids', or 'regulating my behavior'. I want to do that stuff myself.

Let the government build the freeways and fight the wars.

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
It will never happen, but my idea of utopia would be a culture whereby people take full responsiblity for themselves.

Government would be profoundly limited, and people would have to provide for themselves. If you have children, YOU pay for them...you pay for their education, their healthcare, their food, everything. If you are poor, YOU dig yourself out. There are no handouts. If you are sick, YOU find a way to pay for your medical care.

It would be a tough world, but it would be right. What is right in life is that people are accountable for their actions and their decisions. What is right in life is that people face the responsibilities and obligations they take on. What is right is that people face the consequences of their poor decisions.

I am so sick and tired of having to foot the bill for other people's stupidity. You have 14 kids, and half of them are retarded...I gotta pay for them. You drop out of high school...I gotta pay for your welfare. You have no job and no medical insurance...I gotta pay for your emergency surgery when you get in a car accident.

You run your bank into the ground...I gotta pay to bail you out. Your home gets torn to smithereens by a tornado...I gotta pay to put it back together again.

Well, I'm sick of paying. I'm sick of taking responsibility for people's lives when they should be taking responsibility for themselves.

I've lost my compassion for those "less fortunate" than me. They're not less fortunate, they're just selfish and lazy and stupid. And I've lost my compassion for their kids too. I've been bled dry...just as so many Americans have. There's nothing left. It sucks.
Sounds like you're advocating anarchy. Maybe Somalia suites your fancy. Personal accountability is one thing but I personally don't believe in turning MY back on children (even if their parents are stupid), the sick, the poor, or the elderly. To think... I'm even a lowly Republican...

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
I know it has been so very hard for me to bring up my children with MY values. I raised them with the values I was brought up with, mainly,

If you do something wrong, take responsibility for it

Honest work ethic as well as a hard work ethic

You get out of something what you put into it

Live within your means

Save up for something you truly feel you must have, the anticipation of it will sustain you thru till you have the money for it

Be nice to people and have integrity

Be a cheerful giver, but watch out for those that continue to want you to give without them trying to help themselves

My dh and I have lived this way and is what we instilled in our boys. This philosophy has served us well over the years.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Sounds like you're advocating anarchy. Maybe Somalia suites your fancy. Personal accountability is one thing but I personally don't believe in turning MY back on children (even if their parents are stupid), the sick, the poor, or the elderly. To think... I'm even a lowly Republican...
How about HELPING the children who need it, AND acknowledging (publically) that their "parents are stupid"...BOTH. Right now, we help the children..but the parents are just victims of 'society'...(which, of course, is just another way of saying 'their problems are really OUR FAULT')

I have NO problem helping the stupid; I resent, however, having to pretend their circumstances could "happen to anybody". I'd ALSO appreciate an occasional "thank you for the help...I'll be on my feet soon, and I'll take it from there".

I'd say MY scenario sounds more like Switzerland than Somalia..in fact, if we don't make some changes soon, "Somalia" could very well be our future. Nobody's in 'charge' there, and nobody's responsible for their plight..it just 'happened'.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
There are no handouts. If you are sick, YOU find a way to pay for your medical care.

Kind of cruel don't you think? Pray tell how does somebody afflicted with a life threatning illness without insurance pay for their own medical care? You sound like a selfish Libertarian. Better hope you never find yourself in such a predicament.
Is it MY problem this person with a life-threatening illness has no insurance? I would ask WHY doesn't this person have insurance. No job? No education to get a job?

It's equally as cruel to ask the hardworking in this country to foot the medical bills for the lazy and unmotivated among us who don't have health insurance. I have NEVER been without health insurance. And there were times in my life that I had to make great sacrifices in order to stay insured.

I've listened to the bleeding-heart stories of the poor, pathetic uninsured. But most people who have no heath insurance have only themselves to blame.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
The Nazis had a solution for "deviants". How did that work out? Who should we appoint the head of deviance control, you?
What an illogical comparison you've made....comparing my comment about "deviants" to Nazis. Geez Can you please try to keep this debate on a rational track?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Exactly. That's what she probably thinks.

If there was NO assistance available, think about how many people would be homeless. Think about how many people would get NO medical care. Diseases would spread like wildfire and our cities would be very depressing places.

If parents had to pay to educate their kids, there would be an even greater divide between the "haves" and "have nots." Assuming they would not be FORCED to pay (and therefore the kids would not have to be educated), think about the endless problems that would cause.

We're always going to have to have jails/prisons NO MATTER WHAT. And if all of these things were taken away, I guarantee the jails/prisons would be bursting at the seams.
Hmmm...in the days before the New Deal, there were very few government handouts. And it seems to me that society did just fine. Many people survived and thrived, and many people lived in abject poverty and floundered. That's life. It's called "Survival of the Fittest".

By the way...why shouldn't parents pay to educate their kids? They're THEIR kids! Having children is a choice, not a destiny. And if you cannot afford to raise your children on your own, then don't have them.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Hmmm...in the days before the New Deal, there were very few government handouts. And it seems to me that society did just fine. Many people survived and thrived, and many people lived in abject poverty and floundered. That's life. It's called "Survival of the Fittest".

By the way...why shouldn't parents pay to educate their kids? They're THEIR kids! Having children is a choice, not a destiny. And if you cannot afford to raise your children on your own, then don't have them.
Why do you think the New Deal had to happen? The government "handouts" really turned things around

Old 02-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I STRONGLY disagree with that woman's behavior but at the same time how is it the children's fault? And the fact that you're like "half of them are retarded"...that's pretty cruel.
The fact is that most of the octuplets are going to have behavioral and developmental problems. And the other fact is, you and I are going to pay for them for the rest of our lives.

Why am I THE ONE who is cruel? Where is the culpability to the women who have children and then expect taxpayers to pay for them?

It is profoundly cruel to bring children into this world when you cannot provide for them, not only to the children, but to the taxpayers who have to step in and pay for it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies