Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times

Advertisements

Not to mention that these were privatized institutions that payed off the judges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 AM

773 posts, read 1,215,212 times
there was an article by Dave Lindorff last week on this topic,
http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff02122009.html. Noteworthy is this observation, Most of the children who were sent into detention, often for months, had one thing in common: they were poor and they were not represented by lawyers. Many were placed in detention even against the recommendations of their probation officers.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned so far in the discussion is the lobbying power of the prison industry itself. The old rule is that if you subsidize something, you get more of it. And so it is with prisons and the prison-industrial complex. I've yet to find any viable figures on how large this industry is, but consider that it includes construction firms, managers of private prisons, wardens, food service providers, counselors, security services, and a hundred other kinds of companies to build and manage these miniature societies. What kind of political influence do they have? Speculation here, but it must be substantial.

Have you noticed that every time we build a jail it immediately fills to capacity?
I have a simple question that absolutely no jail proponent has ever answered when I’ve asked: If jails worked, wouldn’t we need fewer jails and not more jails?

In the end as a supporter of Murray Rothbard's take on proportional punishment.
I propose that all the young offenders should not just get to split the bribe money amongst themselves, but should get through unanimous agreement, pick the amount of extended time the judges will have to serve in jail.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Every dumbass that cries out for us to privatize prisons and other such "industries" should read this article.We need to cut the fat and demand accountability from these institutions,not privatize.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Every dumbass that cries out for us to privatize prisons and other such "industries" should read this article.We need to cut the fat and demand accountability from these institutions,not privatize.
I know, right? I keep reading articles about how roads are next, especially in California where we need the money. Apparently the state will sell roads to corporations who will then take over maintenance and can put up tolls at will to make money. That's pretty scary. Although, I guess the good part is that if you have a catastrophic crash because they use shoddy materials trying to save money on maintenance you can sue them for a bunch of money to stick it to them.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I know, right? I keep reading articles about how roads are next, especially in California where we need the money. Apparently the state will sell roads to corporations who will then take over maintenance and can put up tolls at will to make money. That's pretty scary. Although, I guess the good part is that if you have a catastrophic crash because they use shoddy materials trying to save money on maintenance you can sue them for a bunch of money to stick it to them.
That's crazy!!!! I hadn't heard about that yet.We'd be lucky if they sold out to an American company I guess.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Well I guess our luck has run out because most of the companies on the list of hot prospects are foreign. No joke, the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale but no Americans have expressed interest. The Japanese, however, might just pony up the asking price which I am not privy to. Not only does America have no shame we don't have a very well developed sense of irony either.

H

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Well I guess our luck has run out because most of the companies on the list of hot prospects are foreign. No joke, the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale but no Americans have expressed interest. The Japanese, however, might just pony up the asking price which I am not privy to. Not only does America have no shame we don't have a very well developed sense of irony either.

H
I joke around about a lot of stuff,but THAT truly pisses me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies