Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:02 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
OK, I am ready for the attack from the Liberals but I really would like an answer.

Why is it that perfectly healthy people just don't work? They have babies and that is their excuse for not working? Generation after generation just stay dependent on the Government for handouts. The government just keeps picking the pockets of those of us who do work so we can support these moochers.

Now I know Welfare DOES have it's place. And there are cases that it is necessary but a LARGE portion of it is handouts and our government is encouraging states to have more people on Welfare???? WHY?????

They want control. If they give them handouts then the moochers will keep voting them in office.

I went to Walmart one day and stood in line behind several ladies who all bad multiple babies and 2 were pregnant again. I noticed that the one in front of me had about 8 cans of vanilla room spray, 2 boxes of those popsicles in a bag, 4 boxes of lemon pies and chips. She gets rung up and it was $78, she pulls out what I thought was her "bank card" and swipes it. Suddenly her bill dropped down to $53 and she pulls out cash to pay for her cart of junk. I later found out it is just another perk from Welfare that they get discounted amounts and the Govt picks up the discounted amount.

So what the food stamps won't cover, they now have programs to help with that too.

They don't know how to work but they sure know how to reproduce.
More than likely the "bank card" she swiped was a food stamp card. The food stamp card paid for the food items such as popsicles and chips, and she had to pay cash for non-food items.

People don't realize that welfare reform for the poor actually costs MORE than just giving them a check & food stamps every month. Instead of giving them a $250 check & $400 in food stamps, they get "forced" to get a job, and government not only still gives them food stamps & a check (at reduced amounts), but also ends up kicking in $$$$ for daycare subsidies so all the kids can be in daycare while the mom works. Daycare assistance can easily cost the government $400 - $500/month per child. The government also gives them a refundable tax credit at the end of the year - Earned Income Credit. Many of the women have also learned to beat the system in that they get all of the financial help from the government, plus have her boyfriend living with her & giving her money

I don't like welfare at all, but at the same time I'm smart enough to realize that for every mother that needs to be help accountable, there's also a father than needs to be help accountable as well. In NC, they really go after the dads for child support - and the child support is given back to the government to help contribute.

Now what I personally don't like is people assuming just because I'm single and have kids - that I'm a welfare recipient It doesn't help that I look young for my age.....but I'm educated, have a good job, and pay ALL of the costs of my children (with a little help via child support). I don't even get reduced price school lunches! So I really try not to judge others - even the welfare recipients with 5 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well everyone better put their big girl and big boy pants on cause we got four more years of this and you are going to have to get used to it . Okay everyone got it ,put your big boy and big girl pants on and pull up your boot straps cause no matter what we think the man in the big house will decide who gets what . got it ? that is how it works , unless someone comes to their sense and we as a nation of voters decide to impeach him , which i doubt will ever happen .
Really? Four more years of welfare and then it's all gone? You obviously know something the rest of us don't. How's welfare finally going to go away in four years?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
OK, I am ready for the attack from the Liberals but I really would like an answer.

Why is it that perfectly healthy people just don't work? They have babies and that is their excuse for not working? Generation after generation just stay dependent on the Government for handouts. The government just keeps picking the pockets of those of us who do work so we can support these moochers.

Now I know Welfare DOES have it's place. And there are cases that it is necessary but a LARGE portion of it is handouts and our government is encouraging states to have more people on Welfare???? WHY?????

They want control. If they give them handouts then the moochers will keep voting them in office.

I went to Walmart one day and stood in line behind several ladies who all bad multiple babies and 2 were pregnant again. I noticed that the one in front of me had about 8 cans of vanilla room spray, 2 boxes of those popsicles in a bag, 4 boxes of lemon pies and chips. She gets rung up and it was $78, she pulls out what I thought was her "bank card" and swipes it. Suddenly her bill dropped down to $53 and she pulls out cash to pay for her cart of junk. I later found out it is just another perk from Welfare that they get discounted amounts and the Govt picks up the discounted amount.

So what the food stamps won't cover, they now have programs to help with that too.

They don't know how to work but they sure know how to reproduce.
I am a LIBERAL and I fully support welfare for those who need it. But if people can work, they should. If they cannot find a job, hand them a rake and a bag with the check. Now, as for the lady in Wal*Mart she was probably using a food card. Only certain food products qualify for food stamps so the Wal*Mart computer deducts that and what is left- non food or pet food- is to be paid for in cash. I don't really have a problem with the air freshners- if you have babies, you'd have them too!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Handouts will never stop as long as they are positively reinforced. Just last week, we moved beyond positively reinforcing them to incentivizing them.

Many people really need public assistance, because they're old, disabled or have hit a rough patch, but many others have learned how to game the system. Government has taught, reinforced and perpetuated this behavior. So my answer is: never. It would require a complete overhaul of entitlements, ground zeroing social programs and revamping them to weed out the abusers and give to the needy according to their need. When will that happen? Never. We are moving in the exact opposite direction.
None of us on here knows when we too might need welfare. It is easy to bash the poor when you are not one of them. I have been blessed by the Lord to have always had a job. I have never had even one day of unemployment since I was 16 when I worked part time in a car wash. My family has not suffered in good or bad times. But there are people who end up in a bad way through no fault of their own. When I was a kid, I knew plenty of them and, BTW, they were all white folks. I used to think "USDA" was a brand because I saw it so much on the tables of friends homes. One such family that lived on my block was once a good intact family and then one day the husband/father just got tired of it all, quit his job and ran off to Ohio and left them poor and destitute. And in the 60s it was hard for a mother of 4 kids to get any kind of meanningful work so they went on welfare.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I can understand giving a person a hand up, even if that means welfare for awhile, but to make it a lifestyle is something different. What I really object to, but I see no way out of this, are people who have abused drugs (any type) never worked, and then draw social security disability. All you have to have is a social security number, if you have never worked a day in your life, and you can get a doctor to say your unable to work, you qualify for them minimum amount.
We have become a nation of entitlements, a full 40% of Americans do not pay taxes, what I mean by this, is if you get a refund equal to more than you paid in, then you didn't pay any taxes. That leaves 60% of Americans paying for the operation of the government and the hand outs that go along with it.
I suggest a flat tax, and no refunds.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
None of us on here knows when we too might need welfare. It is easy to bash the poor when you are not one of them. I have been blessed by the Lord to have always had a job. I have never had even one day of unemployment since I was 16 when I worked part time in a car wash. My family has not suffered in good or bad times. But there are people who end up in a bad way through no fault of their own. When I was a kid, I knew plenty of them and, BTW, they were all white folks. I used to think "USDA" was a brand because I saw it so much on the tables of friends homes. One such family that lived on my block was once a good intact family and then one day the husband/father just got tired of it all, quit his job and ran off to Ohio and left them poor and destitute. And in the 60s it was hard for a mother of 4 kids to get any kind of meanningful work so they went on welfare.
Perhaps you should re-read my post before sermonizing. I'm not bashing the poor-- I said, quite clearly, that some people need help and they should get it. Nobody mentioned race. You're stirring the pot for no reason at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
When are the welfare handouts going to stop?
Didn't you ask that before already?
Anyways, they will stop when there will be no more poor and people in need...

Old 02-15-2009, 05:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
To the OP:

When is the "free market" ever going to provide enough jobs for the U.S. economy to achieve lasting full employment?

When the American society going to put in to practice national health care and thereby get under control the outrageously rising costs of providing health care?

Etc.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I don't like welfare anymore than anyone else, but civilized societies don't allow children to starve to death.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:26 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
More than likely the "bank card" she swiped was a food stamp card. The food stamp card paid for the food items such as popsicles and chips, and she had to pay cash for non-food items.
I don't know about that because she didn't have $50 worth of air fresheners.

This is Florida and they have a strange welfare system here that pays for just about anything you can get in a pharmacy or a grocery store. Band aids, etc. I was told it was an additional card that picks up the things that food stamps do not pick up.

I could be wrong but I was just floored when I saw that.

I am a Pharmacist and I find it disgraceful that a Senior Citizen has to pay for their medication. I have Seniors come in and ask to buy 2 Cardura (heart medication) because they haven't gotten their check yet. Then I have these illegals and unwed mothers who just keep having more kids and they get everything, anytime paid for.

It seems that we should be taking care of the people who have worked and contributed to this society and yet we turn our backs on them. But we offer complete handouts to others, illegal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies