Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times

Advertisements

The majority of people on welfare on milking the system. True, there are some people who genuinely need a temporary leg up, but they are the exception, not the rule. The fact is, most people abuse the hell out of welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM

272 posts, read 407,919 times
aint it funny that Republicans go crazy when poor people get handouts in money that goes back into the economy, but they have no problem with getting loans from our great grandkids and china that will go into the banks and yachts of bankers and CEO'S who destroyed this country

Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
OK, I am ready for the attack from the Liberals but I really would like an answer.

Why is it that perfectly healthy people just don't work? They have babies and that is their excuse for not working? Generation after generation just stay dependent on the Government for handouts. The government just keeps picking the pockets of those of us who do work so we can support these moochers.

Now I know Welfare DOES have it's place. And there are cases that it is necessary but a LARGE portion of it is handouts and our government is encouraging states to have more people on Welfare???? WHY?????

They want control. If they give them handouts then the moochers will keep voting them in office.

I went to Walmart one day and stood in line behind several ladies who all bad multiple babies and 2 were pregnant again. I noticed that the one in front of me had about 8 cans of vanilla room spray, 2 boxes of those popsicles in a bag, 4 boxes of lemon pies and chips. She gets rung up and it was $78, she pulls out what I thought was her "bank card" and swipes it. Suddenly her bill dropped down to $53 and she pulls out cash to pay for her cart of junk. I later found out it is just another perk from Welfare that they get discounted amounts and the Govt picks up the discounted amount.

So what the food stamps won't cover, they now have programs to help with that too.

They don't know how to work but they sure know how to reproduce.

Welfare for those in need is a good thing. Stop your griping.

Why not spend your time focusing your anger upon something more useful like corporate welfare. The banksters and Wall st. steal a lot more from you than any "welfare queen" ever will.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Just a side note here, is anyone aware of what welfare was started for? It was for women who had lost a husband in the war and it gave them means until they could get trained and get a job. Then they got off of it.

Back in the day if you got help, then you went to "work" and earned your assistance. (as Kev mentioned) They basically worked for the money they got. Can you imagine that today? There is no way that Nancy Pelosi and her band of goons allow someone to have to work for their assistance.

Welfare has it's place.....in one hospital I worked at, there was a man who was an immigrant from Poland. He lost his entire family to Hilter. Wife, kids, Mom, Dad, etc. He came here alone, worked in a factory his whole life and retired. He was a diabetic and lost his leg. Then he had a stroke : Unfortunately it was on the opposite side as his amputated leg. So because he couldn't hold himself up and pull his pants up or down, he had to go into a nursing home. The Govt took his house, his life savings,etc. and into a nasty nursing home he lived. He was a brilliant man and he sat and weeped as they wheeled him out of the hospital for his ride to the nursing home.

That is a disgrace. His social worker ran into wall after wall for help for that man. When we do that to our Seniors, we have failed as a society. We care for illegals and these unwed mothers who are 14 and have no idea who the Daddy is, but to our Seniors, they just don't matter.
Absolutely brilliant post!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,581 times
Maybe because there are no jobs out there? Who knows.

I would think maybe only 1% of the working population would actually WANT to be on welfare. It's no way to live, you get put up in substandard housing with roaches & rats & less money to live on than a minimum wage job.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
OK, I am ready for the attack from the Liberals but I really would like an answer.

Why is it that perfectly healthy people just don't work? They have babies and that is their excuse for not working? Generation after generation just stay dependent on the Government for handouts. The government just keeps picking the pockets of those of us who do work so we can support these moochers.

Now I know Welfare DOES have it's place. And there are cases that it is necessary but a LARGE portion of it is handouts and our government is encouraging states to have more people on Welfare???? WHY?????

They want control. If they give them handouts then the moochers will keep voting them in office.

I went to Walmart one day and stood in line behind several ladies who all bad multiple babies and 2 were pregnant again. I noticed that the one in front of me had about 8 cans of vanilla room spray, 2 boxes of those popsicles in a bag, 4 boxes of lemon pies and chips. She gets rung up and it was $78, she pulls out what I thought was her "bank card" and swipes it. Suddenly her bill dropped down to $53 and she pulls out cash to pay for her cart of junk. I later found out it is just another perk from Welfare that they get discounted amounts and the Govt picks up the discounted amount.

So what the food stamps won't cover, they now have programs to help with that too.

Have you EVER had the nerve, backbone, initiative to look up what welfare for the poor costs compared to what war costs or Welfare for the Wealthy ????????

Even welfare fraud is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to how the wealthy are raping this country .

But , please keep up your hatred for the less fortunate with your innate "superiority"...it is so CHRISTIAN !!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
Maybe because there are no jobs out there? Who knows.

lol... I hear this all the time. We have an employee out in Indiana... I have described in many other posts the difficulties we had finding ANYONE to work... especially out there. We were offering too much $$ - we cut the pay in half and got a run on the job. He recently called because now his dad & uncle are out of work (auto industry lay-offs). He asked if we can hold off hiring someone until next fall.

They want to work for us too... but not until their unemployment benefits run out.

No thanks. I'll hire someone NOT looking to suck off the taxpayer teat.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,025 times
Quote:

No attacks from me. Welfare handouts will stop when people learn personal resposibility, which is never.

There will always be people who have their hand out. There will always be people who will put something in that hand because it's not the child's fault that the parent can't provide for them.

There will always be social trash. There will always be people who are legitimately poor and can't work due to dire circumstances that happened through no fault of their own. You can make yourself crazy being pissed about this or you can go on with your own life and be the best person you can be.

It doesn't matter who's in office. There will always be programs that support the poor, whether they are poor by choice or not. I don't like seeing able bodied people take handouts either, but I don't pretend to know what someone's life or situation is just by seeing them for two minutes in a grocery checkout line.

I wonder how many times people have seen me swipe a gift card at the grocery store and thought I was on welfare?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times
Quote:

You are right!!! And this is coming from a liberal...

Abuses of welfare give the entire program a very bad image in the eyes of the general public, and hurt those who truly need it...

Many who are on welfare should not be...

But there are many who are unable - for various reasons - to support themselves and their families - and welfare should be a temporary life boat for them - until they can get back on their feet (unless of course they are truly disabled).

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
There's obviously no crisis when welfare types haven't had to cut back at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies