Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
We should have a poll on the most trivial post ever. I nominate this one.
Well, it certainly rivals the "Horrible Shocking Scandal of Obama NOT Wearing a Jacket in the Oval Office We Are Doomed" thread....

Just another sour grapes whiney tantrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Maybe only Republican television channels had Obama on preaching the world was going to end as we know it if his precious stimulus bill was not passed instantly!

1) It was passed quickly and without proper review - where the heck is he?

2) If our economy is virtually on the brink of disaster, this trip was foolhardy, at best

3) Just because all the other presidents did it, doesn't make it right! I would call those presidents out also

Change? Hope? Nope!
Haven't you heard Mr. President is planning a concert at the White House that we ALL get to pay for.....................The White House says the president and first lady Michelle Obama will present Wonder a Library of Congress award on Feb. 25. The concert will be broadcast the next day on PBS as part of its "Performance at the White House" series.AP News | www.tucsoncitizen.com (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBAMA_STEVIE_WONDER?SITE=AZTUC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLA TE=DEFAULT - broken link)

Now this ought to stimulate our economy!!!!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Travelling around

Why doesn't Washington set the example and start using modern technology for meetings and so forth? Cut the travel for a while; show us WASHINGTON is making these cuts also, etc.

Waste, waste, waste

The campaign is over; get to work, real work.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Why doesn't Washington set the example and start using modern technology for meetings and so forth? Cut the travel for a while; show us WASHINGTON is making these cuts also, etc.

Waste, waste, waste

The campaign is over; get to work, real work.
That is what the people need and want to see ... and now ... I really was hoping he could do something ... but it appears he might even be worse then Jimmy Carter.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
That is what the people need and want to see ... and now ... I really was hoping he could do something ... but it appears he might even be worse then Jimmy Carter.
You have NO idea what "the people" want to see!

A month into his presidency and you're whining he 'appears" to be like Carter ...wow! You outta go on TV with that crystal ball you've got.

AGAIN, if Obama never left the Oval office the Whiney Sour Grapes Group would bellyache about that, too.

I EXPECT MY president to go out and talk to his employers...that's us.

I expect my president not to spend the majority of his time on vacation , playing golf, or having photo ops on a ranch cutting brush.

If you think Obama hasn't been working then you CHOOSE to not see it.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Obama's people said Obama gave Michelle a cake for Valentines day that cost $40. Isn't that quaint? I guess to show how down to earth they are.

He must have forgotten their trip to Chicago to go to Michelle's favorite place to eat.

With all of the fear mongering going on these days about the dire shape of the economy, and Obama is on the TV everday, sometimes 2 X a day and traveling all around to try and sell the country on the stimulus plan I wondered how much it costs us every time the he goes some where.

Well I found this link to a 10 page report from the Government on how much it costs to operate air force one per hour. This report came out in 2006 and is based on numbers from the year 2000 adjusted for inflation. Would you believe almost $57,000 dollars per hour. So 2 hr flight to Chicago and 2 hrs back comes with a price tag of $228,000.00 just for the flight.

So my point is why won't he just stay home and save the tax payers some money if we are in such dire straits? Can any body remember Obama saying at his news conference a couple days ago thanks for giving me a reason to use air force one. It was just last weekend he flew the family and the kids friends off to Camp David. I mean come on first of all it was only about a 30 minute flight, so he could of gotten there another way. That weekend trip was only $57,000.00 .Then you have to factor in the cost of security detail and everything else.

He hasn't even been president for a month and he has already went to Camp David for the weekend, then the next weekend he had date night out and this weekend they jetted off to Chicago for Michelle's food and a 2 day get away.

He's telling us to cut back and he is frolicking around. I think he needs to stay home. I can just imagine what they would say if Bush was frolicking around during times like we are going through.

Click here for link to report
If this were in any way accurate, you might have a legitimate gripe.

Please read what this report summarizes on pg. 3 under Executive Summary:

"The report analyzes the costs associated with presidential and vice presidential flights to campaign-related events on military aircraft."

It also includes the cost of at least one cargo plane, and extra staff for campaign related events.

The real cost to operate AF1 on the flight to Chicago would be a fraction of what you quoted.

As the Obama family have had no downtime since they started campaigning a couple of years ago, I'd say they were entitled to go home for a long weekend.

Jenny, you have many concerns posted in a lot of places about the waste of taxpayer money, which is a great drum to bang, but with so much out there to choose from, this one was a stinker, and not very accurate.

You did a great job, however, of showing how much money Bush and Cheney wasted on their campaign trips though, so thanks for that, even though it's a little too late!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Some are getting a bit mellow dramatic on this thread. And forgetting recent history.

I hope they had a wonderful, romantic Valentines Day dinner.

I don't remember any president who has had to hit the ground running like Obama has, thanks to the previous admin.

Sour grapes.... next we'll hear that they use toilet paper that is too expensive. Where's the Sears catalog?!
Great example to set for the millions of people that have lost their jobs and are about to lose their homes. It's not about sour grapes it's about a leader stepping up to the plate and swinging the bat. He shows that he lacks depth of character and moral integrity by doing stuff like this.

While the masses suffer THE ONE will lead a life of decadence. I wonder if they ended the evening with his favorite desert, a little pinch of Coke?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
If this were in any way accurate, you might have a legitimate gripe.

The real cost to operate AF1 on the flight to Chicago would be a fraction of what you quoted.

As the Obama family have had no downtime since they started campaigning a couple of years ago, I'd say they were entitled to go home for a long weekend.

Jenny, you have many concerns posted in a lot of places about the waste of taxpayer money, which is a great drum to bang, but with so much out there to choose from, this one was a stinker, and not very accurate.
Clever! Actually if you read my post you would see that I mentioned this is a few years old and you would have to take into consideration inflation. But I am off in the fact that I did not include security,etc.

As far as them having "NO DOWN TIME" Ummm, they just jetted off to Camp David last weekend. The weekend before that they were out on date night in Washington and the weekend before that he was being sworn in. So I am thinking he has had ample "down time".

Now what were you saying about "stinkers"?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Vacationing Bush Poised to Set a Record

"The August getaway is Bush's 49th trip to his cherished ranch since taking office and the 319th day that Bush has spent, entirely or partially, in Crawford -- nearly 20 percent of his presidency to date, according to Mark Knoller, a CBS Radio reporter known for keeping better records of the president's travel than the White House itself. Weekends and holidays at Camp David or at his parents' compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, bump up the proportion of Bush's time away from Washington even further."

Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Did a quick search on Google for Dubya's use of AF-1 and found this list of his trips only going to Texas. I have listed just the trips in his first year of office:

Quote:
(Unofficial log of Bush visits maintained by News Ten

02/16/01: WEEKEND VISIT, LANDED AT TSTC (FIRST VISIT AS PRESIDENT)
03/09/01: WEEKEND VISIT, LANDED AT FORT HOOD
04/12/01: EASTER WEEKEND VISIT, LANDED AT FORT HOOD, ATTENDED SUN SERVICES @ CANAAN BAPTIST CHURCH
06/08-06/10/01: WEEKEND VISIT, LANDED AT FORT HOOD
06/21-6/25/01: WEEKEND VISIT, LANDED AT FORT HOOD
08/04/01: ARRIVES AT FT HOOD FOR EXTENDED VACATION
08/14/01: FLIES FROM TSTC TO DENVER
08/15/01: RETURNS TO TSTC FROM N.M.
08/23/01: GOLF AT RIDGEWOOD, APPEARANCE AT CRAWFORD SCHOOL
08/24/01: NC WITH RUMSFELD ANNOUNCING NEW JCS CHAIR, COMMUNITY CENTER
08/26/01: DAY TRIP, PRESIDENT TSTC TO LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP AND BACK AGAIN
08/29/01: DAY TRIP TSTC TO SAN ANTONIO, AMERICAN LEGION CONVENTION (last use of last Boeing 707 in presidential fleet--to be retired to permanent display @ Reagan Library).
08/30/01: DEPARTS WACO/TSTC FOR WASHINGTON.
11/13/01: ARRIVES AT TSTC FROM WASHINGTON FOR PUTIN SUMMIT
11/14/01: PUTIN ARRIVES AT TSTC
11/18/01: BUSH RETURNS TO WASHINGTON
12/26/01: BUSH, FIRST LADY, FLY TO TSTC, AND BY HELICOPTER TO RANCH
12/28/01: BUSH AND TOMMY FRANKS NC AT RANCH
01/05/02: DAY TRIP TO CALIFORNIA
01/07/02: BUSH DEPARTS FOR WASHINGTON, FIRST LADY STAYS AT RANCH
03/27/02: FIRST LADY ARRIVES FOR EASTER WEEKEND
03/28/02: BUSH ARRIVES FOR EASTER WEEKEND
03/29/02: BUSH TAKES DAY TRIP TO DALLAS FOR CORNYN FUND RAISER
03/31/02: BUSH, FIRST LADY, FORMER PRESIDENT, FORMER FIRST LADY, JENNA, ATTEND EASTER SERVICES AT CANAAN BAPTIST CHURCH, RETURNS TO WASHINGTON.
04/04/02: BUSH ARRIVES IN ADVANCE OF WEEKEND MEETING W/TONY BLAIR. FIRST LADY IN DALLAS.
04/05/02: BLAIR ARRIVES.
04/06/02: BUSH-BLAIR HAVE JOINT NC
04/07/02: BLAIR DEPARTS FOR COLLEGE STATION, A&M SPEECH, THEN RETURNS TO LONDON
04/07/02: BUSH DEPARTS FOR WASHINGTON
04/24/02: BUSH ARRIVES @TSTC AIRPORT (LAURA BUSH AT A&M DURING THE DAY)
04/29/02: LEAVES FROM TSTC FOR NEW MEXICO
06/14/02: ARRIVES AT TSTC AFTER FUND RAISER FOR PERRY IN HOUSTON
06/17/02: DEPARTS FROM TSTC FOR ATLANTA
08/06/02: ARRIVES @TSTC W/REP SAM HALL (D)
08/07/02: DAY TRIP TO JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI
08/09/02: RELEASES $100 MILLION FOR LOW INCOME UTILITY EXPENSES, IN SHORT RANCH INTERVIEW SAYS THERE'S NO TIMETABLE FOR ANY ATTACK ON IRAQ
08/10/02: GOLF W/SIBLEY @ RIDGEWOOD
08/13/02: ECONOMIC SUMMIT @ BU
08/14/02: SPEAKS AT RALLY IN MILWAUKEE, ATTENDS MCALLUM FOR GOVERNOR FUND RAISER, MAKES REMARKS AT IOWA STATE FAIR IN DES MOINES, SPEAKS AT GOP FUND RAISER IN DES MOINES.
08/21/02: DEFENSE SUMMIT W/RUMSFELD, RICE, CHENEY AND MYERS. RUMSFELD VISITS FT HOOD.
08/22/02: FLIES TO OREGON FOR 3-DAY TRIP TO NORTHWEST, CALIFORNIA
08/24/02: RETURNS TO TSTC AIRPORT (IN SMALLER PLANE BECAUSE 747 TOO LARGE FOR CA. AIRPORT) ABOUT 300 PEOPLE DEMONSTRATE AT STADIUM AGAINST U.S. INTERVENTION IN IRAQ
08/27/02: BUSH MEETS WITH SAUDI AMBASSADOR PRINCE BANDAR BIN SULTAN
08/29/02: BUSH MAKES DAY TRIP TO OKLAHOMA AND ARKANSAS
09/01/02: BUSH DEPARTS FOR WASHINGTON
09/26/02: BUSH ARRIVES AT TSTC AIRPORT AFTER ATTENDING CORNYN FUNDRAISER IN HOUSTON
09/27/02: BUSH LEAVES TSTC AIRPORT ON CAMPAIGN TRIP TO COLORADO AND ARIZONA, RETURNS SAME DAY
09/30/02: BUSH DEPARTS FROM TSTC
10/24/02: PRESIDENT ARRIVES AT TSTC, 7:30PM, AFTER THREE-STATE CAMPAIGN SWING.
10/26/02: BUSH LEAVES RANCH ON FLIGHT TO LOS CABOS FOR ASIAN SUMMIT.
11/04/02: BUSH ARRIVES AT RANCH AFTER 4-STATE CAMPAIGN SWING THAT ENDED IN DALLAS. FIRST LADY'S 56TH BIRTHDAY.
11/05/02: BUSH AND FIRST LADY VOTE AT CRAWFORD FIREHOUSE. DEPART TSTC FOR WASHINGTON, 10:35AM.
11/27/02: BUSH ARRIVES AT TSTC AIRPORT FOR THANKSGIVING WEEKEND VISIT. FIRST LADY ARRIVED 11/26/02. TWIN DAUGHTERS, AND PRESIDENT'S PARENTS ALSO AT RANCH.
12/01/02: BUSH AND FIRST LADY FLY BACK TO WASHINGTON FROM TSTC
12/26/02: BUSH AND FIRST LADY ARRIVE @ TSTC FOR WEEKLONG STAY
ALL VISITS AS PRESIDENT (http://www.kwtx.com/centraltexasvotes/misc/37768449.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies