Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM

340 posts, read 704,926 times

Advertisements

"Democrats counter that the lowest-income families do pay money into the system by way of payroll tax for Social Security and through sales taxes. And they note that it is those low-income families most likely to quickly spend any tax relief they get, thereby making it more stimulative for the economy."

This is a quote from House to vote on $787B stimulus package - Feb. 13, 2009

My question is this.....does anyone think this is an insult to the lowest-income Americans?? - here is some money for these people to go buy a flat screen, lotto tickets, new sofa, alcohol -----

Should not the message be save this money and try to improve your lot in life, instead of "here you go morons - free money go spend it - we know you are too stupid to try and save it or use it to improve yourself - by the way vote for us next time"

I wish politicians would just come out and say it - I know what they are doing and anyone with half a brain knows it too - stop trying to pass it off as something else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,679,185 times
Ummmmmm... That's kind of the point of the stimulus...

The whole point is to get people out there spending money.

The economy will not be stimulated if everyone socks away the cash. Ideally - everyone should be pumping that cash directly into the economy, or there is no point of a "stimulus".

Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
That's right..it's no insult. Study the demographics for who is eating fast food and buying junk at Walmart. That's exactly who they are targeting.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Well then - isn't that something? - 'go out and spend money' - sounds a lot like the reason behind where we are now - easy credit, easy money, low savings rate - spend spend spend then you are one paycheck away from falling behind on payments, then repo's and foreclosures.....

I thought the point of the stimulus was to create jobs, lower dependence on foreign oil, spawn new industries, etc etc ......not give it to morons who are going to continue to spend it on non-essential items and plunge themselves back to the brink of where we are now.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraised atl View Post
Well then - isn't that something? - 'go out and spend money' - sounds a lot like the reason behind where we are now - easy credit, easy money, low savings rate - spend spend spend then you are one paycheck away from falling behind on payments, then repo's and foreclosures.....

I thought the point of the stimulus was to create jobs, lower dependence on foreign oil, spawn new industries, etc etc ......not give it to morons who are going to continue to spend it on non-essential items and plunge themselves back to the brink of where we are now.

Oddly enough, that $13 probably won't go towards the new flat-screen TV. It might go to buying whole-grain bread instead of Wonder. It might go towards buying orange juice instead of orange-flavored soda. It might go to buying chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. The OP is only that lower income people with less discretionary income are most likely to spend this money outright. Your idea of what is essential and their idea of essential are two different things. Some of what you think is essential, they might think of as a luxury.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

419 posts, read 603,510 times
I just listened to Pelosi say this is the biggest tax cut middle America has ever gotten.

Obama is giving 400.00..........Bush gave 600.00 plus 300 per child

Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
Or it might go to buying cheap chinese made DVD player sold by Sony, a japanese company.

The key should really be increasing the money supply in the economy that results in both top down and bottom up stimulus. This is just bottom up. Not bad in itself but it's off balance and may very well not help at all. The rich and companies and middle class don't just sock away money, they spend some, they invest (via savings or direct investment) that results in the creation of wealth and jobs.

So they are missing half of the equation. But lets see if it works. Bush's rebates last year did not so I am not holding my breath.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM

I was simply questioning the political thought process behind why would the lowest income families be more willing to spend more money than others----

I agree the $13 or whatever it may be won't allow any to buy a flat screen - I think that statistics would show that the low income families are not using that $$ to buy the necessities as a whole - there are folks who are low income "lifers" and folks who are moving their way up the ladder---the one on the way up will buy the breasts vs. thighs or saving it to try and improve their lot in life--- I would strongly argue that the "lifers" are the ones buying flat screens and booze with the extra $$ and creating a lemming-like following for the politicians who give them more cash to buy lotto tickets.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraised atl View Post
"Democrats counter that the lowest-income families do pay money into the system by way of payroll tax for Social Security and through sales taxes. And they note that it is those low-income families most likely to quickly spend any tax relief they get, thereby making it more stimulative for the economy."

This is a quote from House to vote on $787B stimulus package - Feb. 13, 2009

My question is this.....does anyone think this is an insult to the lowest-income Americans?? - here is some money for these people to go buy a flat screen, lotto tickets, new sofa, alcohol -----

Should not the message be save this money and try to improve your lot in life, instead of "here you go morons - free money go spend it - we know you are too stupid to try and save it or use it to improve yourself - by the way vote for us next time"

I wish politicians would just come out and say it - I know what they are doing and anyone with half a brain knows it too - stop trying to pass it off as something else....
Democrats prey on the stupid or desperate... nothing new there...

Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Democrats prey on the stupid or desperate... nothing new there...
Right you are - Democrat politicians do prey on the stupid or desperate. Sadly, Dumbocrat voters are too stupid to realize it. I guess that's because they're stupid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies