Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, here in this country you would think so ,yes. However there is a growing segment of US society that advocate that such action is OK in a country of origin, thus making it OK here because we are "multicultural". See the thread on child sex offenders for an example of this.. There is NO justificaton for actions such as this in the US. "Multiculturism" be Damned! Your right to practice a religion or take "pride" in your cultural roots flat stops when you think it's OK to harm another person in the name of "honor" or some backward religious belief. Welcome to America. This is NOT the Middle East, Asia, Africa et al. When an individual comes here the obligation to observe our laws and our culture is prerequisite. Otherwise stay where you are. There have to be limits to our "tolerance" for "multiculuralism".
Exactly! When posters are excusing this type of behavior which is endemic to certain parts of the world they are inviting this mindset into our part of the world. So incredibly shortsighted. How long before 'sharia law' makes it into a courtroom as a defense ploy? How long before it will work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
In this case, it had A LOT to do with his religious affiliation...

Slowly and extremely painfully sawing off someone's head is typical Islamic Fundamentalist behavior...
vs. just a good old beating to death with fists, baseball, bricks, garden tools, etc, and other good christian fundamentalist behaviors. then throwing the body into lakes, oceans, swamps, deserted areas the christian behavior?

Yep, plenty of religious prejudice and hatred or ignorance displayed by the OP.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
vs. just a good old beating to death with fists, baseball, bricks, garden tools, etc, and other good christian fundamentalist behaviors. then throwing the body into lakes, oceans, swamps, deserted areas the christian behavior?

OOOK. In your haste to bash Christians (and no I'm not a Christian) you lump the behavior of general scumbags into a religious context with absolutely nothing to back up your statement. Christians in the US do not use religious defenses to justify spousal abuse and do not practice "honor killings". If they did it would fly about as far as a lead balloon. Christianity is expected to conform to the existing law of the land, whereas Muslim immigrants are comeing in under the impression that they can drag sharia law and other extremist things with them with impunity. Regardless of how one feels about Christianity (which you seem to wish to judge by a harsher standard due to a personal hatred) thet do not use their faith as a defense for acts of familial brutality such as the one being discussed here. Oh boy , here it comes..The Crusades, The Inquisition, supposed "Christian" nutbags and polygimast practices that condone child marrige and such. These are NOT Christians. They hide behind the faith just as these Muslim wackos are attempting to do. You tar with a wide brush my friend. Absolutisms are a bad way to approach a debate as they make one look like a radical while professing to be just the opposite. Tread a bit more lightly and THINK a bit before firing so blindly in the dark. With no clear target in front of you ,you may hit someone you did not intend to.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:

I totally and completely disagree...

However, I'd say you're displaying a very generous portion of cowardly Political Correctness.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:

I tend to go head to head with many christians on these boardswhen it comes to the imposition of religion into our government.

But c'mon! Even I don't buy that sh** your selling! Christians anywhere but especially in the US are not advocating beating their wives and killing off the women if they bring shame to a family. At all. The US gets quite the crap for being a societal cesspool yet even we as a culture do not condone those actions.
Ultra - religous muslims and their Imams do.
Islamic countries that live by Sharia do.
The more moderate muslims really don't care to comment on what their more radical brethern do.
Now compare that with the FLDS or Fred Phelps -- two quasi christian sects that are not condoned by other christian groups. Or by American society. They are roundly looked at as dangerous nutjobs and when the chance comes to arrest them -- the police take action. Hardly sounds like a system designed to placate the loonies, eh?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
[SIZE=2]http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/578644.html
[/SIZE]Orchard Park police are investigating a particularly gruesome killing, the beheading of a woman, after her husband — an influential member of the local Muslim community — reported her death to police Thursday.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
She was trying to divorce her husband and ends up loosing her head. This didn't happen in Africa or Pakistan. This happened in NY.
Do you start threads labeled White Guy dismembers other gay men and freezes their remains?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'd rather be beaten and live to testify against the jerk than have my head sawed off. Your defense of this muslim is laughable.

I don't think he was defending anybody? Did you really not get what he was saying?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:06 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, here in this country you would think so ,yes. However there is a growing segment of US society that advocate that such action is OK in a country of origin, thus making it OK here because we are "multicultural". See the thread on child sex offenders for an example of this.. There is NO justificaton for actions such as this in the US. "Multiculturism" be Damned! Your right to practice a religion or take "pride" in your cultural roots flat stops when you think it's OK to harm another person in the name of "honor" or some backward religious belief. Welcome to America. This is NOT the Middle East, Asia, Africa et al. When an individual comes here the obligation to observe our laws and our culture is prerequisite. Otherwise stay where you are. There have to be limits to our "tolerance" for "multiculuralism".
I agree. No doubt some lawyer will take his case and say that his client was merely observing a cultural tradition and if we Americans were not such rubes, yahoos, beer drinking Nascar watching rednecks and inbred cultural illiterates (who only speak one language, by the way), we would not be so upset. Since one day we will all be Citizens of the Global Tribal Village, we had better get used to other cultures' ways of dealing with family issues.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, both! Isn't it funny how the OP immediately jumps on someone if they merely point out the fact that there are thousands of disgusting acts that happen everyday? Seems someone is biased, wouldn't you say?

Well it's a typical example of the "who me, racist?", "who me, intolerant?", "who me, a bigot?" crowd. It is as if some people imagine they are speaking in a secret code that communicates their bigotry, but somehow in a stealthy fashion so that the person communicated to doesn't understand what's going on. Kind of like Obe-won-kenobe mind-controlling the Storm Troopers. "These aren't the Droids we're looking for".

It's really right there on the surface, naked to the world if you look. This thread reminds me of something Joan Baez said in the 1960's. She said she was in her hotel room in Chicago reading the morning paper. The headline read "Blonde found Dead in Southside Apartment". Down below, in smaller print was the headline of another article that read "6000 Dead in Earthquake in Iran". Joanie's comment was "I wonder what color of hair they had?"

Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
Geez,I thought all they had to is say" i divorce you" 3 times and be done with it.
I was wondering when the "Religon of peace" would bring its honor killings,be-Headings over here since its been happening in Europe for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies