Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times

Advertisements

I wonder who will be on that list!

A Swiss Bank Is Set to Open Its Secret Files

In the hush-hush world of Swiss banking, the unthinkable is happening: secrets are spilling into the open.

UBS, the largest bank in Switzerland, agreed on Wednesday to divulge the names of well-heeled Americans whom the authorities suspect of using offshore accounts at the bank to evade taxes.
The bank admitted conspiring to defraud the Internal Revenue Service and agreed to pay $780 million to settle a sweeping federal investigation into its activities.

It is unclear how many of its clients’ names UBS will divulge. Federal prosecutors have been examining about 19,000 accounts at the bank, but UBS ultimately may disclose the identities of only a few hundred customers.

Prosecutors suspect that from late 2002 to 2007, UBS helped American clients illegally hide $20 billion, letting them evade $300 million a year in taxes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/bu...HeL7A+6/9Al2wA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 AM

568 posts, read 1,478,513 times
Swiss banks should pay the U.S. 800 BILLION DOLLARS.. It would offset the Stimulus package.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
This will involve relatively few UBS clients. I had an account at UBS from when I worked in Switzerland. Each year, in compliance with the law, I declared the account and declared any interest I got and any Swiss tax paid.

Switzerland has not been an offshore haven for some time and Swiss banking secrecy is no longer what it was. Places like the Channel islands, Isle of Man, Cayman Isles, Luxembourg, Gibralter, etc. etc. are much more likely than Switzerland to have billions of illicit dollars sloshing around.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
Well jaggy, I'm not sure about the "only a few UBS clients" part of your post. UBS had been ACTIVELY COURTING these HIGH DOLLAR customers with the PROMISE of helping them shelter (US) taxable dollars from Uncle Sam. Then after reaching an agreement with the US Treasury Dept. UBS reneged on the deal. The last I heard one of UBS's officers (who had been running this operation and "supposedly" cooperating with the Treasury had "gone missing" in advance of his indictment.

I really hope that Phil and Wendy Graham's names are on the list. Those are two that I'd like to see slapped in irons.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies