Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Yes, but you have to factor in that a tag of "racist" can cost you your job at the very least, and your life in some circumstances. The fear is often well placed.
I happen to work at a law firm in Georgia. At a recent firm function, a partner got drunk, knocked over his glass of scotch, and demanded that the "n*ggers" who were catering the function, clean up the mess.

Now, in an alternate universe, he's an ex-segregationist who happens to use the N-word. But he's no racist. And he still has his job. But in the real world, he is what he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I don't think 'coward' is the correct term. But Holder is correct: For bridging the racial divide in this country folks will have to get outside their comfort zone.

Republicans think this will happen by 'wishing and hoping'. They figure when all those minorities understand how much better their theories are, they will flock to the GOP. I haven't seen them out recruiting minorities, Michael Steele or no Michael Steeele.
There are more black republicans and/or conservatives (not the same thing) then you may think. I do believe that they don't announce themselves for fear of the backlash they get from other blacks and more specifically rabid black democrats who have been known to throw horribly derogatory words and even actual cookies at anyone who would dare go off the democratic reservation so to speak.
To talk honestly about race, then we need to be able to admit that not just 'one side' is racist. And that is something many are just not willing to do -- on both political sides.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I happen to work at a law firm in Georgia. At a recent firm function, a partner got drunk, knocked over his glass of scotch, and demanded that the "n*ggers" who were catering the function, clean up the mess.

Now, in an alternate universe, he's an ex-segregationist who happens to use the N-word. But he's no racist. And he still has his job. But in the real world, he is what he does.
The difference here is that it's a law firm. Not a traditional Fort 500 type structure. I've worked in both sized of firms.

In the Fort 500's you are way more constrained on that sort of speech.

In the smaller companies, it all depends on what the managers within earshot think.

At least that's my take on how these things tend to play out.

As for law and politics. Strange world there. Especially where this issue is concerned. Get tagged "racist" on the at-will employment world, you're pretty much dead.

But elections are a popularity contest. I mean, C'mon Dave Duke is still out there, right?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's because the larger companies have to worry about keeping Federal business, lawsuits (due to their deep pockets), etc. They are much more *targets* as it were.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
The difference here is that it's a law firm. Not a traditional Fort 500 type structure. I've worked in both sized of firms.

In the Fort 500's you are way more constrained on that sort of speech.

In the smaller companies, it all depends on what the managers within earshot think.

At least that's my take on how these things tend to play out.

As for law and politics. Strange world there. Especially where this issue is concerned. Get tagged "racist" on the at-will employment world, you're pretty much dead.

But elections are a popularity contest. I mean, C'mon Dave Duke is still out there, right?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's because the larger companies have to worry about keeping Federal business, lawsuits (due to their deep pockets), etc. They are much more *targets* as it were.
We're a national law firm with a Georgia office. We fall into the "Big Corporate" category. The partner mentioned is a "racist" but he still has a job. And a life. So let's not start crying rivers for the oppressed racists of America.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON – Eric Holder, the nation's first black attorney general, said Wednesday the United States was "a nation of cowards" on matters of race, with most Americans avoiding candid discussions of racial issues. In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

Holder: US a nation of cowards on racial matters (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090218/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/holder_race - broken link)
If Holder wants to talk about self-segregation, maybe he should start with addressing:
- The National Association for Advancement of Colored People
- Black Entertainment Television
- Black History Month
- Congressional Black Caucus
- Miss Black America
- People who call themselves "African-Americans". Silly me, I thought we were all just simply Americans.

And why is Holder the "black attorney general". I never heard of a "white attorney general". I thought they were just simply the attorney general.

Yep, self segregation does indeed exist.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Holder, another pompous, hollier-than-thow, preachy liberal. What a surprise. The only scary part is that he is in a position to wield the power of the DOJ to persecute those who don't tow his line. Just what we need, another out of control Attorney General.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 AM

340 posts, read 704,509 times
...my issue with his statement is that he said "have done a pretty good job in melding the races in the workplace"..THEN......."On Saturdays and Sundays, America in the year 2009 does not, in some ways, differ significantly from the country that existed some 50 years ago. This is truly sad," ...

This is a great opinion from one us ---CDF folk ---- but coming from our AG is disturbing. This is the top law enforcement official----entirely inappropriate for him to speaking of this in public.

I am not a nut job - BUT all this does is add fuel to the anti-gov nut jobs----does this mean that some new law will be constituted that you have to go to dinner with a "diverse" group? Do I have to watch football at my house and be sure to invite over a certain number of ______ people?

Again - he is the Attorney General of the United States of America---when he becomes Joe citizen again - make any comment you want. It is time that office holders in 2009 be held to higher standards than the rest of us, hold reverence to your office, and act accordingly.

When he is no longer AG - and goes to work on any cable news network - then say whatever the hell you want---just keep your potentially explosive opinions to yourself while you hold that office.

Clearly he is not stupid and he should know to keep personal opinions to himself. Maybe the emotion go the best of him....or if he is trying to start a dialogue - great - I do not want this dialogue started from AG....

Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
... does this mean that some new law will be constituted that you have to go to dinner with a "diverse" group?
No, but it does signal an Attorney General that won't be blind to disparately applied justice.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 AM

I say, segregate yourself to you heart's content. Just don't expect the rest of society--and that includes elected officials--to support, endorse, reflect, or agree with your desires. Want to live in an all-Black neighborhood? Fine. Live with the consequences of it. Want to live in an all-White neighborhood? Sure. Just don't expect to remain relevant.

The rest of society is getting past homogeneity, which means that antiquated laws and similar ways of thinking will be gone in short order. Stay behind if you wish.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

340 posts, read 704,509 times
if you notice---he did not say any anything illegal took place or is taking place----he expressed his opinion about who we socialize with ---that could cause concern --- he is the AG.

As far as 'disparately applied justice' - that is pandora's box, which leads to socio-economic factors a lot more than race----again he is the AG not a sociology professor - act accordingly.

Not sure what relevant has to do with who someone has dinner with...hey I just noticed you are in Atlanta as well --- wanna hang out?---not at work but on Saturday and Sundays?? I don't want to be 'left behind'

Last edited by bornandraised atl; 02-19-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies