Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
An attorney general who is a sound bite monger OR
a president who is in need of cheers, applause and permanent campaigning.

Which is worse?
Apples and oranges.

Nobody elected Holder. Yet he gets to spout whatever the hell kind of nonsense he wants. This would be scanned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM

340 posts, read 704,926 times
again - Put that line in there to mention about the 'nuts' who could read that --- And the danger of making those comments to give fuel to the nuts...because he is the top law dog in the US...

The supreme court in another animal entirely different issue altogether....even still I prefer the SCJ to offer opinions consistent with their written decisions and do not like any of their sociologist remarks - commenting on law and issues of who we spend Saturday and Sunday are two very different situations.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:21 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,937,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Yes, I think it was Clarence Darrow that said, "You can't argue a man into liking a glass of beer".

You can forcibly integrate people who don't want to be, by law. (I.e by force essentially.) But that will just add to the resentment.

Further adding to the problem of "frank discussion" about it is that we've been taught guilt and PC. Anyone that does talk about it and espouses anything but a view that we should all "just be a big pile of puppies" or all "sitting around the campfire singing Kumbaya" is immediately denounced as a radical racist.

Seems the truth that some folks just don't like other kinds of folks, for any number of reasons, isn't allowed to be spoken. I.e. that people self-segregate... *because they want to* and it's not neccessarily a pathology to do so... is not allowed to be spoken.

The "ingrained inhibition" about talking about race has been crammed at us for every angle.

Let's try it, shall we?

"Ok, I can't stand ebonics and being around people who grab their crotch as some sort of gesture, and play hip hop music. I find kinky afro hair repulsive, and the general facial features and physical features of African peoples to be somewhat scary and reminiscent of dangerous animals or criminals. I feel when looking at blacks that I'm dealing with someone that might go crazy and violent at any point. I just don't want to be around it. I don't care for thier pot, crack, drugs, voodoo, and so on. To the point that I'll take flight and move!"

Now there's an honest set of feeling that many, many have out there. Plenty of evidence if you care to look and think for a second. (Biggest data point being that "white flight" is a named phenomenon.)

So now, are you happy? There's your open statement, and it should be clear that for some folks the issue is intractible. Yet those people also have a right to a peaceful happy existence as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

(Yes I suspect you are happy, as this is probably a case of trolling.)

Now I'm sure there's an exact analogue to the above coming from the black side, as well. And they have the same right to "pursuit of happiness" etc. The difference is, if a white man says the above in the hood, he could end up dead. Wright can say his side on TV and is still walking the street. (Yes MLK did end up dead for doing the same. But that was some time ago. It *has* changed. Blacks have gone from most oppressed to most aggressive, near as I can tell.)

So in the end what you end up with is. Some folks don't want to integrate, some do, and some are ambivalent. How do we accomodate all 3 groups fairly?

When you figure that out, then maybe you'll have something.
The problem is the fear. So many people are afraid to ask questions to learn what it is like being Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc.. I have found both at work and in my personal life that it is not difficult to openly talk about race once you get the ball rolling. I don't have the fear of talking race possible because I am fortunate to have many different races in my extended family, Hispanic, Asian, and Black. We are like a little UN in our clan. I actually have seen my cousins, nieces and nephews struggle being of mixed race. Luckily they live in CA where being mixed race is not much of an issue but in many parts of the country it still is. We really need to look past skin color and judge people by their character, that is what really matters.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,937,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I don't think 'coward' is the correct term. But Holder is correct: For bridging the racial divide in this country folks will have to get outside their comfort zone.

Republicans think this will happen by 'wishing and hoping'. They figure when all those minorities understand how much better their theories are, they will flock to the GOP. I haven't seen them out recruiting minorities, Michael Steele or no Michael Steeele.
The end or racism has to begin with the individual. You can't legislate an end to racism.

My parents were as color blind as 2 people could be. I don't think I ever heard either my dad or mom refer to someone by their skin color. It just did not mean anything to them.

The problem is not solely a Black/White issue either, even though many of you would like to think it is. Every race has issues. Where I grew up it was Black/Hispanic more than Black/White. When the Vietnamese came to the US tension between the Asian population and Black population grew. Racism exists in all races, racism is a human character flaw, racism knows no skin color. Unless we admit that and move on we will always be divided. We need to bring up our children with the appreciation of all races and their diversity. Only then will racism not play such a destructive role in our world.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 PM

24,446 posts, read 23,110,611 times
Was he labelling ALL US citizens of ALL races as cowards? Then he may have a little truth in what he was trying to say, he was just very inarticulate and exaggerating. Maybe by not admitting we've moved beyond racism is a sign of cowardice. Then many are still cowards. Is that what he was trying to say?
Maybe his even having that job is proof that we still think like that even if times have changed and we've gone beyond that. The guy is definitely par for the course for the Obama Administration, he is gaffe and controversy prone.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,920,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
The end or racism has to begin with the individual. You can't legislate an end to racism.

My parents were as color blind as 2 people could be. I don't think I ever heard either my dad or mom refer to someone by their skin color. It just did not mean anything to them.

The problem is not solely a Black/White issue either, even though many of you would like to think it is. Every race has issues. Where I grew up it was Black/Hispanic more than Black/White. When the Vietnamese came to the US tension between the Asian population and Black population grew. Racism exists in all races, racism is a human character flaw, racism knows no skin color. Unless we admit that and move on we will always be divided. We need to bring up our children with the appreciation of all races and their diversity. Only then will racism not play such a destructive role in our world.
One of the few SENSIBLE posts in this otherwise thread of white supremacists going emo because they were called out for their views. But as far as I see it, the college I attend is very diverse, but people from all races are equally cowards: from the white guy who's too coward to have his privilege (mainly social cliques and dating scene) shared by men from other races, to the white woman who's afraid to "cross the line" so as to not face ridicule from her male companions. From the black man who's afraid to stop putting on the "blackface minstrel" and think for his own self, to the "militant black woman" who is afraid to let go of the "attitude" complex or the "assimilated black woman" who's afraid to treat their fellow males with respect so as to not face ridicule from her white companions. From the "FOB Asian" who's afraid to spend a second not surrounded in the shadow of other Asians, to the "assimilated Asian (especially Asian woman)" who's afraid to stand on their own two feet and not be the surrogate pet of some horny white guy who wants to feed his ego and needs a submissive woman to do so!

I'm not sure about the "Nation of Cowards," but from my perspective, I'm definitely looking at a Campus of Cowards!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Being a member of the NAACP a balck oprganiztion that prompte blacks means he shouldn't be lecturing. i have always wander if a organiozation was promoting only whoites was set up what it would be called;I think little doubt that it would be called racist.Look at teh carto0on abouyt the monkey. If that were Bsuh they would be laughing just as they tried to explain the RECV Wright as a non-racist.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,659 times
Martin Luther King a very respectable man by any color with respect at least to his non violent approach to change I believe would be dismayed at the attitude of blacks in this country. Once provided the integration they so rightfully sought and were provided, the y immediately set about to segregate themselves. American was not good enough identity, it had to be African-American as if they had even the slightest fu....g context of similarities with anything African. It would be like my identifying with Eric The Red. In fact, if I wore a horned hat to school to demonstrate my racial pride I suspect i would be expelled.

As a white man, this is what pissed me off about the attitude of blacks;
-United Negro College
-Black History Month
-NAACP
-BET
-Black Pride Day
-Miss Black America
-Over 60, Openly proclaimed black colleges
-No white million man march

If the white race had an opposing any of the above it would signify racist.

Mr. Holder, until you as attorney general, and Barack Obama as president of these here United States, can successfully address some of these racist injustices and transgressions, you sir, lead cop of the land, appealing for racial justice and integration, can go fu.. yourself!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,200,129 times
[quote=Atilla;7541541]

-United Negro College -- College legacy admissions (see George Bush)
-Black History Month -- Ask anyone over 50 what black he learned about in school!!
-NAACP -- Blacks and whites started that. Its like Red Cross.
-BET -- There's a plethora of ethnic TV shows and stations.
-Black Pride Day -- Polish Constitution Day
-Miss Black America -- Miss St. Patrick's Day parade
-Over 60, Openly proclaimed black colleges -- All races go to black colleges; they are pro-black, not anti-white. Can you say the same for the old Ol' Miss? Did you know there is a Jewish college and used to be a Polish college?
-No white million man march -- You ever see the Pulaski Day parade?

If the white race had an opposing any of the above it would signify racist. You are in error.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 AM

1,133 posts, read 713,659 times
[quote=Manigault;7543331][quote=Atilla;7541541]

-United Negro College -- College legacy admissions (see George Bush)
-Black History Month -- Ask anyone over 50 what black he learned about in school!!
-NAACP -- Blacks and whites started that. Its like Red Cross.
-BET -- There's a plethora of ethnic TV shows and stations.
-Black Pride Day -- Polish Constitution Day
-Miss Black America -- Miss St. Patrick's Day parade
-Over 60, Openly proclaimed black colleges -- All races go to black colleges; they are pro-black, not anti-white. Can you say the same for the old Ol' Miss? Did you know there is a Jewish college and used to be a Polish college?

Really, you taught me something there. I wasn't familiar with legacy admissions since I wasn't Ivy League. Were you aware that blacks receive a higher score add on than any other category a +230, next is athletes a+200

I would have to say Douglas

Really, what would be the white membership? (Did you ever see the Dave Chappel spoof on being Grand Wizard of the Klan? Hilarious stuff)!

Maybe, there is no WET, and if there were there would be hell to pay.

Never heard of Polish Constitution Day, -I bet you looked that one up

Touche! I wouldn't buy either one a drink.

Can you name any after 60's colleges that could get away with the term "Pro White" publicly pronounced

You have provided a few spatters of ethnic not white examples.

-No white million man march -- You ever see the Pulaski Day parade?

If the white race had an opposing any of the above it would signify racist. You are in error.

Are there any modern day examples of the racism as expressed in the O.J. Trial? Aha, got you on that one How do you turn this red sh;; off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies