Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON – Eric Holder, the nation's first black attorney general, said Wednesday the United States was "a nation of cowards" on matters of race, with most Americans avoiding candid discussions of racial issues. In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

Holder: US a nation of cowards on racial matters (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090218/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/holder_race - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Yes, I think it was Clarence Darrow that said, "You can't argue a man into liking a glass of beer".

You can forcibly integrate people who don't want to be, by law. (I.e by force essentially.) But that will just add to the resentment.

Further adding to the problem of "frank discussion" about it is that we've been taught guilt and PC. Anyone that does talk about it and espouses anything but a view that we should all "just be a big pile of puppies" or all "sitting around the campfire singing Kumbaya" is immediately denounced as a radical racist.

Seems the truth that some folks just don't like other kinds of folks, for any number of reasons, isn't allowed to be spoken. I.e. that people self-segregate... *because they want to* and it's not neccessarily a pathology to do so... is not allowed to be spoken.

The "ingrained inhibition" about talking about race has been crammed at us for every angle.

Let's try it, shall we?

"Ok, I can't stand ebonics and being around people who grab their crotch as some sort of gesture, and play hip hop music. I find kinky afro hair repulsive, and the general facial features and physical features of African peoples to be somewhat scary and reminiscent of dangerous animals or criminals. I feel when looking at blacks that I'm dealing with someone that might go crazy and violent at any point. I just don't want to be around it. I don't care for thier pot, crack, drugs, voodoo, and so on. To the point that I'll take flight and move!"

Now there's an honest set of feeling that many, many have out there. Plenty of evidence if you care to look and think for a second. (Biggest data point being that "white flight" is a named phenomenon.)

So now, are you happy? There's your open statement, and it should be clear that for some folks the issue is intractible. Yet those people also have a right to a peaceful happy existence as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

(Yes I suspect you are happy, as this is probably a case of trolling.)

Now I'm sure there's an exact analogue to the above coming from the black side, as well. And they have the same right to "pursuit of happiness" etc. The difference is, if a white man says the above in the hood, he could end up dead. Wright can say his side on TV and is still walking the street. (Yes MLK did end up dead for doing the same. But that was some time ago. It *has* changed. Blacks have gone from most oppressed to most aggressive, near as I can tell.)

So in the end what you end up with is. Some folks don't want to integrate, some do, and some are ambivalent. How do we accomodate all 3 groups fairly?

When you figure that out, then maybe you'll have something.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Jmadison. A good post, and as someone who grew up in a racially mixed area (I'm white as rice), I can tell you that what you say, in a rather crass manner, is true. You should have seen all the neighbors freak out when a black family moved into our area (We now live in the 'burbs). You'd have thought there were going to be gang wars, murder, drugs, whores, you name it. I knew the wife from work and she was a talented actress and exceptional person. No drugs wars to feed the frenzy...

BTW John1960 is not a troll. Apologize nicely to him.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
There have been a few threads on these boards that attempted to have an honest discussion on race. What I noticed is that there are a few who geniunely want to better understand the 'other side' of the fence, and with those people great discussions have been made.
But then there are those that become the PC police and immediately attempt to shoot down any honest discussion lest anything uncomfortable comes up. Then there are those that want to blame an entire race of people based on crimes that few committed. The last two groups have no interest in learning, only laying blame while exonerating themselves because they and only they are evolved.
I don't know....I would like to see more honest and frank discussions about race. I certainly feel like I learn a lot from them.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
In some cases, I'd argue that "coward" isn't an appropriate descriptor of some Americans. But in other cases, it's spot on.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Whenever theres a honest and open discussion about Race the oversensitive folks jump in and throw the race card.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Jmadison. A good post, and as someone who grew up in a racially mixed area (I'm white as rice), I can tell you that what you say, in a rather crass manner, is true. You should have seen all the neighbors freak out when a black family moved into our area (We now live in the 'burbs). You'd have thought there were going to be gang wars, murder, drugs, whores, you name it. I knew the wife from work and she was a talented actress and exceptional person. No drugs wars to feed the frenzy...

BTW John1960 is not a troll. Apologize nicely to him.
OK, I apolgize to John1960.

As for the "thought there were going to be gang wars, murder," issue. Two thoughts come to mind.

First is that Eddy Murphy, I think it was, used to parody this in his act. "The attack of the black people! Crime is up! Property Values are Down! Lock up your daughters and wives!". Not to far from what some folks believe.

The other thought is that, in my experience, the crime part of it became more of a reality in the post Civil Right generation (if we're talking the black thing). I had more than one black boss over the years. Without a doubt the older blacks, who actually fought the fight, weren't like that. They may have been uneducated, etc. But basically just wanted a better life. The Gangsta thing seems to be about making criminal behavior a mainstream affair.

However, I'm still going to hold out that even if the crime rates were *identical*, some folks just don't like other races. I believe it's as ingrained as some women's feelings about mice or other "critters".

Heck I've had at least one Asian tell me in the work place he's dealt with many "ignorant, stupid westerners" since her came over from Korea. First reaction I had was, "Well, go back then!". But I realized english wasn't his first language. His really was discussing our westernized philosophy vrs. his preference for mysticism or some such. But other asians I've met, clearly didn't like white folk. They stuck to thier own. No worries. I understand. As long as we don't end up in fisticuffs, no problems. People like/dislike what they do. Sometimes is "rational", sometimes not. But you are always fighting an uphill battle to make someone like brocolli, so to speak, if they just don't. LOL!

As an aside, I "went crass" intentionally. Somewhat like a number of black Reverends using the classic MLK tone of oratory.

Just felt it got the point across with less typing.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
In some cases, I'd argue that "coward" isn't an appropriate descriptor of some Americans. But in other cases, it's spot on.
Yes, but you have to factor in that a tag of "racist" can cost you your job at the very least, and your life in some circumstances. The fear is often well placed.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Whenever theres a honest and open discussion about Race the oversensitive folks jump in and throw the race card.
Yeah. I know what you mean. Why, just the other day, a few of us were discussing homerun records in baseball, and somebody had the nerve to play the "steroid" card. The nerve.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
I don't think 'coward' is the correct term. But Holder is correct: For bridging the racial divide in this country folks will have to get outside their comfort zone.

Republicans think this will happen by 'wishing and hoping'. They figure when all those minorities understand how much better their theories are, they will flock to the GOP. I haven't seen them out recruiting minorities, Michael Steele or no Michael Steeele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies