Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Funny, I don't recall people being pulled over like this for all the anti-bush signs which were far closer to being "threatening" than this sign...

http://www.newsok.com/okc-officer-pu...adlines_widget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
This is frightening.. The Secret Service wanted to "walk through his house to make sure he wasn't a member of a hate group". What would have happened if he'd refused? What would they have done to him and his family if he mentioned the hated Fourth Amendment?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Funny, I don't recall people being pulled over like this for all the anti-bush signs which were far closer to being "threatening" than this sign...

http://www.newsok.com/okc-officer-pu...adlines_widget
The parallel is much like the old Soviet Union, or many other dictatorial societies. It isn't enough that ruling party has won political power, not even enough that they can control your life, but now they demand absolute ideological loyalty and worship. The current Obama cult is like a religion, if you don't show unbridled love and adoration towards the new messiah, you are obviously a heretic and must be purged.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
let's wait and see if the ACLU rallies to this fellow's defense. i'm not holding my breath.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
let's wait and see if the ACLU rallies to this fellow's defense. i'm not holding my breath.
The guy got the sign back and didn't get in any trouble, so there's nothing for the ACLU to do, really. The officer overstepped, but apologies have been made. He had a sign that said "Abort Obama", and the officer misconstrued that as a threat.

As for the whole "Bet the ACLU won't TOUCH this" thing, the ACLU defends the right of everyone to speak freely. They've defended yahoos like Fred Phelps that hold signs decrying that "God hates F*gs" and other such nonsense. The idea that they're purely ideological is just wrong.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
So did police or secret service ever get involved over Abort Bush stickers?

The Bush On Crack Store (http://bushoncrack.11345.com/catalog.php - broken link)

Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The guy got the sign back and didn't get in any trouble, so there's nothing for the ACLU to do, really. The officer overstepped, but apologies have been made. He had a sign that said "Abort Obama", and the officer misconstrued that as a threat.

As for the whole "Bet the ACLU won't TOUCH this" thing, the ACLU defends the right of everyone to speak freely. They've defended yahoos like Fred Phelps that hold signs decrying that "God hates F*gs" and other such nonsense. The idea that they're purely ideological is just wrong.
Doesn't matter if they returned it after violating his rights, he can still sue for a violation of his civil rights. Title 42USC Section 1983 comes to mind...

Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Hmmm . . . seems to me that Oklahoma is overwhelmingly conservative. Didn't they go 80% plus with McCain/Palin? How can you try to pin this on liberals trying to deny people their civil rights when the powers that be in OK are conservative?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Doesn't matter if they returned it after violating his rights, he can still sue for a violation of his civil rights. Title 42USC Section 1983 comes to mind...
If he wants to, he can go for it. I'm sure the ACLU would be willing to help out.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Hmmm . . . seems to me that Oklahoma is overwhelmingly conservative. Didn't they go 80% plus with McCain/Palin? How can you try to pin this on liberals trying to deny people their civil rights when the powers that be in OK are conservative?

Because it was probably a Lib Cop. The legislature didn't confiscate the sign. OK also has a Dem Gov. There's plenty of Libs in OK IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies